It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Initial Breakout from Accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
    jack27514
    (male)

jack27514 HB User
    Initial Breakout from Accutane

I visit the derm this Friday, and I seriously want to start Accutane.
    Before I do though, I was wondering if those who've been on it can answer a few of my questions.

Is there an initial breakout?
    How long into the treatment did you start breaking out?
    How long did the breakout last?
    How severe was the breakout?

I'm so desperate to get my acne cured, but I'm scared about the initial breakout from Accutane.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
    jillr
    (female)

jillr HB User
    Re: Initial Breakout from Accutane

How severe was the breakout?

Yes, there is an initial breakout.
    I started breaking out after about 2 weeks.
    It lasted about a week.
    It wasn't severe enough for me to regret going on accutane.
    I'm on month 2(almost 3) right now and i'm very happy with it. People are noticing and commenting now on how much better my skin looks.
    good luck!

Old 05-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

My daughter's skin was very bad to start with and so the IB made everything come out at once. It was pretty bad. It lasted about 3 months unfortunatley. She went on prednisone to slow it down. I don't think that was a typical reaction.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
    babygurl77
    (female)

babygurl77 HB User

some people experience an initial breakout, some do not..
    i did, but it was not as bad as i was anticipating...
    it came around the second week and lasted only maybe 2 weeks..
    then the clearing began...im almost done my third month and yes i am still getting breakouts, very minor though..nothing compared to before and i do not regret taking accutane....i was just as scared as you were
    be strong and you are not alone
    try reading some journals, it helps

Old 06-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
    thepowerhouse
    (female)

thepowerhouse HB User

Hey there, I just thought I'd tell you about my experience with Accutane. I have taken it 3 different times in my life. Each time I had different experience - none of them were too terribly bad. Everyone has a different experience, but I will tell you that the first time I took Accutane (back in '91) I had a horrible initial outbreak. It started about a week after I started taking it and lasted for about a month. I had always had cystic acne since my teenage years and was getting pretty frustrated and depressed about it. I thought by my mid-twenties - the acne would clear up on it's own. During the first month of my initial Accutane treatment the cysts were the worse than I had ever experienced and were very painful. I was even very embarrassed to go to work and be seen, and I didn't socialize much for that first month after work hours (oh VANITY!). The cysts all centered about my chin and mouth area and my face was very swollen. That first month was extremely tough - physically and emotionally. I cried a lot, not because of the medicine, I cried because I didn't think Accutane was going to work for me. I thought I was destined to have acne for the rest of my life - and this made me very sad. But after a month, things started to change and WOW - I started to see miracles. In 3 months - I was totally clear with the exception of the red and purple marks left by the cysts. By month 4 - people were coming up to me and asking me about my "beautiful" complextion! One day my boss asked to see me in her office for a private "meeting". I thought I was in trouble, but when she shut the door and told me to sit down she said she just wanted to ask me what I have been doing with my skin and did I have some type of procedure. She couldn't get over how different I looked and told me how beautiful and glowing I looked. She really couldn't believe that all I had done was taken Accutane to clear up my skin. This was the ultimate compliment. Suddenly my life changed and for the first time in my life - I wasn't embarrassed to look people in the eye - I stopped "hiding" behind my long hair - I engaged in conversation, I started being more active in my community - I came out of my shell and became very outgoing. Accutane REALLY changed my life. I had always felt like an ugly duckling because my pimples were so big - the size of quarters! I have a tiny face and the pimples just completely covered it. I was very conscience of my pimples not only because they were so big, but I had very painful acne. After Accutane - with a clear face - I became more secure, happy, NORMAL, and today I feel (not bragging - but) I feel beautiful - and I am told that I am without even soliciting any compliments! I think before all people saw in me was this insecure, little girl who had huge, disgusting pimples all over her face. Accutane helped me physically and psychologlically. My advise is to you - do you research, talk in depth to your dermatologist - weigh the pros and cons - and make your decision. Always be sure to get the lab work that is required as well. Personally, and luckily, I did not have one side effect other than being very dry and the horrible initial breakout (which did not leave me with any scarring). I never got depressed (I think having zits made me a little depressed, but not the Accutane). I never got joint pain, never got an upset stomach, never got headaches- nothing - just great clear skin after about 3 months. I took it about 5 years later because I started getting cystic acne around my chin and mouth, but only stayed on it 4 months. I did not have any horrible outbreaks during that episode of treatment. The last time I took it was about 4 years ago. I probably didn't need it, but I had developed a long and good relationship with my dermatologist and when I asked him about going on it again for some small zits I was getting around my chin, he did not hesitate to give me another perscription. I highly recommend it, but only you and your doctor can decide. Don't be afraid if you have an initial outbreak - it's really minor - and you will see a huge improvement. I have many friends who have taken it (all female) and not one had any side effects and they have all told me that they wouldn't hesitiate to take it again. Hope this helps. Sorry it was so long, but I just had to share my great experience. I believe in Accutane so much that when I see people suffering from acne, I want to help them. I don't want any one to ever feel as ugly and insecure as my acne once made me feel. Good luck! I hope you make the right decision and have beautiful skin too!

Old 06-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #6
    willowb
    (female)

willowb HB User

Powerhouse, thanks so much for your story...hearing things like that really puts us pre-accutane users at ease a little bit. i start accutane in 2 weeks and im so anxious and excited...i know there might be an initial outbreak, but im not too concerned about that...if it happens, ill deal with it. ive been insecure about my skin for long enough. i hope accutane works for me. im 25 and have been suffering with cystic acne since my teen years. for about a year i had clear skin when i was on minocycline. i couldnt have been more happy! i know what you mean when you said you stopped hiding behind your hair, and you can look people in the eye without feeling ugly and feeling like theyre staring at the huge cyst on your chin...i felt that way once. anyhow, just wanted to say thankyou for your accutane story. i cant wait to start!! wish me luck!

W

p.s. powerhouse, one more thing, when you started accutane for a 3rd time, how bad was your acne? you said small little pimples around your mouth area, but how bad were they? and how often? also, do you still get cysts? thankyou!!

W

Old 06-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #7
    Matty
    (male)

Matty HB User

How about a horror story from accutane...

I took it in 2002... triggered a manic episode.

I have been on bipolar meds for the past 3 months...

Old 06-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matty
    How about a horror story from accutane...

I took it in 2002... triggered a manic episode.

I have been on bipolar meds for the past 3 months...

A Very Very Rare Experience...and you lived. I am sorry it happened to you, however. I hope you get well soon.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
    willowb
    (female)

willowb HB User

matty, dont you think you had some underlying issues before hand that you hadnt addressed...are you trying to say accutane is the sole responsible party for your "episode"...? had anything like that ever happened to you before?
    hope your well now...

W

Old 06-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #10
    v22031
    (male)

v22031 HB User

There is another thread on a breakout so here is my answer to both of you.

First I am little puzzled with such a concern with the breakout. We are talking here about short term breakout. Are people really so self conscious out there? Actually I shouldn't say anything about that because I never had facial acne but still... You have to keep things in perspective. Is the short term breakout something that should really worry you that much? There are all kinds of people out there in all kinds of worse life situations so what is a week long acne brakout in comparison? And when you add that right after that initial breakout you'll be getting beautiful skin then you realize that the breakout is nothing but a blip in this treatment.

Anyway...

Yes.

10 days.

2 or 3 days in my case.

How severe was the breakout

Mine was really not severe but I am coming of doryx and my acne wasn't that bad to begin with. And keep in mind that we are all different so these results will vary.

So there you go. I am just two weeks into this treatment and I doubt I'll have any more acne except maybe an occasional one. If I remember the path during my last treatment correctly, 3 to 5 weeks from now I'll be looking in the mirror and I'll say "oh my God" . There won't be any acne, red marks will be fading and it will look like I got new skin.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:17 AM   #11
    thepowerhouse
    (female)

thepowerhouse HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willowb
    Powerhouse, thanks so much for your story...hearing things like that really puts us pre-accutane users at ease a little bit. i start accutane in 2 weeks and im so anxious and excited...i know there might be an initial outbreak, but im not too concerned about that...if it happens, ill deal with it. ive been insecure about my skin for long enough. i hope accutane works for me. im 25 and have been suffering with cystic acne since my teen years. for about a year i had clear skin when i was on minocycline. i couldnt have been more happy! i know what you mean when you said you stopped hiding behind your hair, and you can look people in the eye without feeling ugly and feeling like theyre staring at the huge cyst on your chin...i felt that way once. anyhow, just wanted to say thankyou for your accutane story. i cant wait to start!! wish me luck!

W

p.s. powerhouse, one more thing, when you started accutane for a 3rd time, how bad was your acne? you said small little pimples around your mouth area, but how bad were they? and how often? also, do you still get cysts? thankyou!!

W
    Hey There WillowB,
    You are so welcome. I wish you all the luck in the world. Regarding the 3rd time I took the accutane. I was 38 and under a lot of stress from work- A LOT! Having to meet many impossible deadlines, not eating property, not drinking near enough water, and definitely not sleeping much at all. Anyway, I don't know for sure if this contributed to my breakouts, but I am almost sure that it did. My acne was really not that bad at all the 3rd time and if I hadn't have had such a great relationship with my dermatologist or had I not had experience with Accutane before - there is no way my doc would have perscribed it for me. Honestly, I had no more than 2 cysts at a time - but the break outs did go on for months and months, and I went in for an appointment totally expecting that my dermotologist would just to give me something topical, but when I dared to mention Accutane again - he didn't hesitate and wrote me a 'script. I was surprised! I have been acne free for almost 5 years now. Once in awhile I will get one, but it's nothing and I discovered Neutrogena Rapid Clear Spot Gel - and it gets rid of any zit that begins to appear - in just 1 day. I would say that my age has something to do with staying clear except that older sister is 45 and still has horrible acne. My mom suffered until her 50's. I believe it's hereditary in my case and if I had not been put on Accutane that I would still be suffering.
    Hope this helps. Good luck. Be patient and be sure not to miss a dose. I took mine at night - every night without fail - with a glass of milk. I wish you the very best!

And Matt -( I think it's Matt - or Matty) I am so sorry you had such a bad experience with Accutane. Did you stop taking it immediately? I hope you are getting help and that you will get better soon.

Old 06-04-2006, 06:03 AM   #12
    jillr
    (female)

jillr HB User

I just remembered to tell you something about the initial breakout..my derm put me on an antibiotic, Ciproflaxin, to calm the initial breakout. He actually just put me on it again because I have 3 new cysts. Maybe you can get on it if your breakout is too bad.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:08 AM   #13
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

(For the person who wondered about an IB concern)

Did you read my reply before? My daughter's IB was within 24 hours! Every small pimple or large pimple on her face got HUGE. It progressed daily to the point where there was no clear skin on her face. I asked that she be put on prednisone in the 3rd month and things calmed down from there. After Accutane, the scarring from that breakout was pretty bad and was not even calmed down before she started breaking out again.

So this is why she and I are terrified because they want to put her back on it next month and her skin is much worse now than the first time she was on accutane. I wish someone could tell me if the second time around on the drug is better than the first. I also want to know if a second round is worth it when the first sucked so bad. I am also taking her to an endocrinologist next month for a work-up. I suppose if it's her hormones causing all this then no amount of accutane is going to work anyway.

Last edited by skimom; 06-04-2006 at 09:10 AM.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #14
    willowb
    (female)

willowb HB User

well, sounds like your doing great powerhouse! if theres any significant changes in your skin i hope youll let us know. my doc has me on mino and clinamyacin gel while im waiting for my 30 days to pass for the accutane. ive been on mino for i think 2 months now, and im still breaking out. this is my second time on mino and i guess its not working. but my skin still looks relatively decent. i break out the most on my lower cheeks/jaw line...my forehead, nose, chin, upper cheeks are clear. i was telling my fiance about it, and how i was gonna start in a few weeks. he had no idea i felt the way i do about my skin. i told him a little about accutane and the side effects i might suffer from. he did his own research and was kinda skepticle about me starting...he told me, i think you have pretty skin! which of course is sweet...but, battling acne for years really has put a damper on my self esteem. ill have clearer days, when the cysts i do have seem to calm and go down a little...but i havent been completely clear in at least 2 years. anyhow, just rambling. thanks for your support. hope your still surfin the boards when i start my accutane journey so i can come to you for guidence

cheers

Willow

Old 06-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #15
    lolitazz
    (male)

lolitazz HB User

I had initial breakouts. A few of them. One day I went to sleep with clear skin and next day I had like 7 big cysts. I think they lasted about a month, or at least it felt like an eternity. They were pretty bad, but I had a lot of faith in accutane, so even though I was extremely embarrased to go out, I knew I would get better. I wish I didn't have them, but we're all different. I would recommend moisturizing, at least mine stopped after I moisturized twice a day.

Closed Thread