It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• 10 days on Differin & Duac and desperate for advice!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-31-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
    caymanbabes
    (female)

caymanbabes HB User
    Question 10 days on Differin & Duac and desperate for advice!

Hello! Please help!

I am 31 and never had acne before - the odd pimple maybe in my teens but that's it - have always had normal skin, no problems. About 18 months ago I had a few stressful things happen and since then started getting bad spots on my temples and around my mouth, and a couple on my cheeks which leave red marks which never heal.

After wasting $$ on products which never worked (didn't try proactive though), I went to a dermatologist who gave me Duac for twice a day, and Differin at night. The first few days these didn't irritate and I eagerly awaited results..

I am now on day 10 and I wish I'd never started. My skin hurts, all day, all over - not just the spotty places I put the creams on. Its made no difference to the spots, but it has changed the rest of my face completely. Under my eyes looks terrible - so aged - and my cheeks are so flaky. But the worst is the pain - it feels like I have terrible sunburn all day. I tried a very gentle moisturiser (neutrogena) but the pain after I apply it is too much. My face is not too red, but it is a different color from my neck.

I think I preferred having spots and a pain-free face, than the same spots and constant burning! The only time it stops is late at night before I have to wash it again (with Clean & Clear gentle sensitive skin wash). Even putting water on it hurts. When I cry or go swimming its hideous!

Is this normal??? I haven't read anywhere it being so bad. I did read on here that Differin and Duac should only be used on oily skin - my skin wasn't oily - is this why I'm having problems?

I'm thinking of trying the Clinique system - the mild face soap, Clarifying Lotion 2, and Dramatically Different gel. I'll continue to use the Differin/Duac in smaller quantities and perhaps less often to see if I still get the burning or not. I just want to use nice products on my face which will soothe it, and feel at 30+ the products on the 'teen' skincare aisles shouldn't be for me! The other side effect from the Duac/Differin is that my 'fine lines' are SO much more noticable - my husband even notices it. Anyone have any comments on Clinique? I'm going to get some "bare minerals" powder from bare escentuals to try and cover the spots up a little too - can anyone comment on that?

I am new to all this acne lingo and would REALLY appreciate any advice you could give. Its getting me down so much, worse than the acne did! The dermatologist said "acne grade 2" but wasn't really helpful - just wrote out the prescription and said to come back in two months.

Thank you in advance! Sorry this is so long!

Last edited by caymanbabes; 05-31-2006 at 10:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
    jack27514
    (male)

jack27514 HB User
    Re: 10 days on Differin & Duac and desperate for advice!

Caymanbabes,

I'm sorry you're going through this. I understand EXACTLY how you feel.

You're writing my story. Been there, done that.

However, I'm taking another stab at the Differin Duac combo, but I'm a little bit wiser this time around.

Here's what went wrong: you're applying too much Differin and Duac, too often and too soon. With retinoids like Differin, you need to wean your skin, allow it to develop tolerance to the medication, and then increase application frequency, as appropriate.

I'm taking it slow in the early goings. Here's my regimen:

Morning: wash face with bar of mild soap

Night: 1---wash face with bar of soap
    2---apply either thin layer of Duac or Differin
    (I'm alternating each night.)

I hope you clear up soon. Stay strong.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
    caymanbabes
    (female)

caymanbabes HB User
    Re: 10 days on Differin & Duac and desperate for advice!

Jack,

Thank you SO much for your reply. Its so nice to know I'm not alone!

I didn't realise how serious Duac and Differin are - I will go gently from now on. I probably have been using too much.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I do appreciate it.

I will see if I can buy some trial sizes of the Clinique range and see if my skin calms down a bit.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
    earthdayapril22
    (female)

earthdayapril22 HB User
    Talking Re: 10 days on Differin & Duac and desperate for advice!

yes! Duac and Differin are very strong acne medicines so you should start slow like Jack said. If irritation still occur apply it once every other day. I started using both medicines at the same time like a year ago (used Differin way more than Duac) and it really cleared my face, even for months!! I even stopped using them since I didin't have any pimples for 6-7 months but I should had apply it like once a week. anyways now i'm starting again since I have a few pimples and Duac is irritating , making my face red as a tomato. So if you still find it irritation , stop using Duac and use Differing only , since that's the one that really cleared my face and stick with it!

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Have a nice day
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread