It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• facial hair + acne (women only!)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2006, 11:07 PM   #1
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User
    facial hair + acne (women only!)

Hi all...
    well, i'm 26, and finally have my acne under control (retin-A + minocycline + apri bc pills). So, I thought I'd try to defeat my facial hair problem now. I have fair skin and fair hair, so electrolysis is not an option. I've been thinking about Vaniqa cream, but wonder if it can be used with Retin-A. I've also thought about Spironolactone, but wasn't sure if it really helped getting rid of facial hair. Does anyone know or have any other ideas for me? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2006, 09:08 AM   #2
    babygurl77
    (female)

babygurl77 HB User
    Re: facial hair + acne (women only!)

hello

well it sounds to me you are explaining symptoms of PCOS, which stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome...
    symptoms include acne, excess hair on face and body, overweight (not everyone though), irregular periods when off birth control or no periods at all...i can't remember all the symtoms but just do a search on it and you will find tons of info...i'm not saying you have it, but there is a possibility so i dont want to scare you...i was clinically diagnosed with it, but its a difficult syndrome to diagnose...the doctor only diagnosed me with it due to our conversation,...so tests were done...so i have my doubts...its also hard to decect it if you are on birth control...hope this helps...
    good luck

Old 06-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
    jillr
    (female)

jillr HB User

I have been wondering if I have this ever since I heard of it on this board. I have cystic nodular facial acne. Dark hair on my hands(just the outside) Hair on my upper lip, and hairs on my chin. I also have dark hair on my chest and stomach. My periods are pretty regular, and if I'm correct, fertility is an issue with this. This does not apply to me(I have 3 kids all within 5 yrs. of each other) I am not on birth control, I've had a tubal.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
    gtown_blondie
    (female)

gtown_blondie HB User

People..please don't automatically assume that facial hair and acne is PCOS!! I have both and I have absolutely no fertility or menstrual issues. In fact, you can tell what day of the month it is by my cycle. I beleive its a genetic predisposition for me (and age - its gotten a little worse as I've gotten older).

The reason why I mention this is becasue I have been trying to figure out how to solve my problem of facial hair and acne for years. Every time I post it on this forum I always get the same response...it must be PCOS. Well...it isn't PCOS for me so I sympathize with all the other women out there who have the same problem.

It's at the point in my life where I willing to consider some form of permament hair removal because I don't think a cream or pill will stop the hair from growing. My dermatologist told me that the best way is electrolysis (I have blond facial hair and blond hair doesn't respond well to Laser.). I've never heard the electrolysis does NOT work on blond hair.

Has anyone tried waxing? I always worry that waxing my face (just the sideburns and chin) would make my acne flare up.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:50 AM   #5
    lindanm
    Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gtown_blondie
    People..please don't automatically assume that facial hair and acne is PCOS!!
    Also, you don't have to have PCOS to have hirsutism. You don't even have to currently have a hormone imbalance to have it. You could have had it in the past and now your follicles and oil glands are extra sensitive to any amount of testosterone and always will be. And the same hormone blocking treatments will still help.

Going on and off birth control could have caused or worsened it and/or made it better. Gaining and losing weight. Diet changes. Lots of things.

I didn't have an imbalance a month ago when I was tested and prescribed Spiro. But I had cut out (or way back, rather) simple carbs months earlier. And had been taking other supplements like Zinc and Saw Palmetto for about a year. so that could be why. But I started getting hairy and acne when I was 10.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
    marymk
    Veteran
    (female)

marymk HB User

I have the same - facial hair mostly on chin and upper lip and acne. I'm 47 and never had the acne until about 5-7 years ago. I've had the facial hair since my twenties.

I've not been diagnosed with PCOS, but I do get ovarian cysts - usually only one or two at a time. I believe PCOS cysts come in bunches. I'm also pretty regular with my cycle and have had no problems with fertility.

I am borderline insulin resistant, which is another indicator of PCOS - so I sometimes wonder if I may indeed have it. I think it is sometimes difficult to diagnose.

I have recently been prescribed Retin A for the acne - I think it may be helping, but it takes a while. I was using Climadycin - that was working OK -then it seemed to stop.

I've also been told by my derm and gyno that the acne is probably hormone related - and will most likely clear up after menopause.

marymk

Old 06-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
    dollymama
    (female)

dollymama HB User

I have acne and facial hair as well, but it's the coarse hair only under my chin and slightly up my jaw line. I started using Vaniqa and I have to say it really does work. It's expensive, but costco sells it for cheaper than a drugstore. It has decreased the amount of hair and actually made the hair less course, so it comes right out when I tweeze. For the acne, I take doxycyline twice p/day with food and rinse with witch hazel and toner. I also wash with 5% benzoil peroxide (prescription strength). When I use the toner I am amazed at how much make up any soap leaves behind !

The Following User Says Thank You to dollymama For This Useful Post:
    LeslieJ (03-22-2012)
    Old 07-02-2006, 06:17 PM   #8
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peachy420
    Hi all...
    well, i'm 26, and finally have my acne under control (retin-A + minocycline + apri bc pills). So, I thought I'd try to defeat my facial hair problem now. I have fair skin and fair hair, so electrolysis is not an option. I've been thinking about Vaniqa cream, but wonder if it can be used with Retin-A. I've also thought about Spironolactone, but wasn't sure if it really helped getting rid of facial hair. Does anyone know or have any other ideas for me? Thanks!
    Well, I got up the nerve to ask my doctor about the facial hair. She immediately refered me to an endocrinologist (apppintment is on July 7) and scheduled a pelvic ultrasound to rule out ovarian masses (appointment is on July 6). So, hopefully I will have an answer of some sort by the end of this week! I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #9
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Wellll, I just got back from the endocrinologist. My pelvic ultrasound looked normal, and all my lab values were normal except my thryoid (TSH) was slightly high. Soooo, I was prescribed Thyroid medication + Spironolactone (200 mg- 8 25 mg pills!) and Vaniqa cream. And for my acne, I will continue to take Apri (generic Desogen bc pills), Minocycline (I'm down to 100 mg once a day), and Avita cream (generic Retin-A). I feel like a walking pharmacy!!! Hopefully these new meds will help. I've been thinking about what I should do to remove the facial hair in the meantime. The doc said NOT to shave, but that waxing, electrolysis, or laser treatment would be good. I'm not quite ready to shell out the money for electrolysis or laser, so I was leaning towards waxing, but waxing almost your entire face seems like it would be really painful and irritating (especially since I use retin-A). Any ideas? I really can't stand the hair and don't want to wait 2-6 months to see it get better. Thanks eveyone for listening to me!!!

Old 07-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #10
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dollymama
    I have acne and facial hair as well, but it's the coarse hair only under my chin and slightly up my jaw line. I started using Vaniqa and I have to say it really does work. It's expensive, but costco sells it for cheaper than a drugstore. It has decreased the amount of hair and actually made the hair less course, so it comes right out when I tweeze. For the acne, I take doxycyline twice p/day with food and rinse with witch hazel and toner. I also wash with 5% benzoil peroxide (prescription strength). When I use the toner I am amazed at how much make up any soap leaves behind !
    Hi there...
    Just a question about Costco pharmacy. I checked the price on Vaniqa, and it's only $40-something (I paid $76 at Kaiser even with my insurance!). I've never filled a prescription at Costco-- how does it work? Would I have to have my Kaiser doctor write a new prescription? Thanks

Old 07-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #11
    littlebigeyes
    (female)

littlebigeyes HB User

Peachy420, did they test your estrogen/testosterone too? I'm interested that you said your tsh was high, I've had acne for years and only recently found out my thyroid is not working enough (my tsh was 10.3 with about 2 being the ideal). So I've been on the meds now for almost two months and I hoping to God that my acne will decrease...we always think that acne is due to wrong est/test balance or PCOS or something but I'm wondering if low thryoid could cause facial hair and acne. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #12
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by littlebigeyes
    Peachy420, did they test your estrogen/testosterone too? I'm interested that you said your tsh was high, I've had acne for years and only recently found out my thyroid is not working enough (my tsh was 10.3 with about 2 being the ideal). So I've been on the meds now for almost two months and I hoping to God that my acne will decrease...we always think that acne is due to wrong est/test balance or PCOS or something but I'm wondering if low thryoid could cause facial hair and acne. Good luck.
    Hi there
    Well, after re-looking at my lab-work, it doesn't look like my estrogen was tested. Just Testosterone Free and Total, Free T4, 17-OH Progesterone, Prolactin, DHEA, LH, FSH, and TSH. The only one that was slightly abnormal was the TSH. In fact, my regular doctor said EVERYTHING looked good-- the endocrinologist was the one who told me that while 4.1 is within the normal range, the endocrine society considers it high.

There are a lot of symptoms related to hypothyroid-- just do an internet search on it. I'm pretty sure acne is one of them.

Good luck with everything

Closed Thread