It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Do foods or food additives cause mild acne outbursts?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
    strongernow
    Inactive
    (male)

strongernow HB User
    Do foods or food additives cause mild acne outbursts?

Hi I must have ate some food that I am allergic to or used a bath product that didn't agree with my face because every now and then I get break outs with very mild acne spots on me face and neck. Maybe only three pimples here and there, then the next day three more, and then so forth but still is very mild. ALthough it is mild it is annoying to have a breakout. I am wondering if food can do this. I know I Am slightly lactose intolerant and sometimes I get cravings for food with milk in it (pizza, ice cream etc) and I do eat it - sometimes a ton of it and then maybe a week later this out break will happen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User
    Re: Do foods or food additives cause mild acne outbursts?

YES! YES! YES!

Food is the root cause of acne. Avoid processed foods as much as possible. That includes dairy products and anything with sugar or other artificial additives.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
    countrygirl9836
    (female)

countrygirl9836 HB User

But ive heard that foods ou eat arent the cause of acne....i think it is but so many people insist that its not...i started eating more healthy and my skin is already clearing up!!

Old 07-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
    Jackswift

Jackswift HB User

well, i dont think it has any bearing on me

some weeks ill just get tons of fast food, and be clear for that week and many weeks after and some weeks ill be eating healthy and get breakouts

Old 07-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User

The root of most modern health problems is food. We eat too many processed foods that our bodies are not equipped to handle. Some of us may be able to get away with eating these foods, but make no mistake. These foods are doing damage to your body. Just because you don't see it in the mirror or feel different doesn't mean these foods aren't hurting you. What's also true is that it may take time to manifest itself. The effects aren't always immediate. Of course, experts will tell you there is no connection between diet and acne. I think what you'll find is the people who make this claim often have a financial interest at stake. Dermatologists, drug companies, and manufacturers of skin care products all would lose a major source of revenue if people were suddenly able to heal themselves just by making smarted dietary choices. I've been eating healthy for months now and my skin has never looked better. No acne, no blemishes, a bright even skin tone, and a more youthful appearance.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jackswift
    well, i dont think it has any bearing on me

some weeks ill just get tons of fast food, and be clear for that week and many weeks after and some weeks ill be eating healthy and get breakouts
    What are you eating? I'm willing to bet that the food you think is healthy isn't actually healthy. Don't discount the power of food. You'd be amazed just how much of an impact food can have on your health. Hey, if food can make people sick to their stomach or give them heart disease, why is it such a stretch to think food could give a person acne?

Old 07-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
    strongernow
    Inactive
    (male)

strongernow HB User

Well I have witnessed that myself with milk products. I use to have worse pimple break outs in high school when I use to drink milk non stop and eat cereal non stop and candy too. A few years later I decided to stop drinking coke, milk, cereal, and most candies and stuff with food color and the breaks outs never happened. Every now and then I get cravings and binge on those delicious foods and then get breaks outs. Also I thought sometimes how I accidently swallow tooth paste could cause it. Anybody ever experience that?

Old 07-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #8
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User

I'm glad you mentioned milk products because dairy is not only a major cause of acne, it's a perfect example of a food that we've all been raised to believe is healthy, but actually isn't. That isn't to say that dairy products cause acne in everyone. Some people are more tolerant of dairy than others just as some people are more tolerant of chocolate than others. But just because you see someone who can get away with eating a suspect food, that doesn't necessarily mean that food is safe. People need to be skeptical these days when it comes to the health claims of certain foods. The food industry puts out a lot of disinformation to get you to buy their product and certain industries, like dairy, not only have an incredible marketing machine at work, they also have substantial influence on our government and what it tells the public. Take the famous food pyramid. It tells people to eat lots of grains and dairy. Funny how it was put together by The Department of Agriculture, a department that's chaired by former executives from dairy and grain producers. The point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't be afraid to question the health claims of certain foods. You should also notice that a food doesn't have to be nutritionally void to be bad for you. Dairy does provide protein, calcium, and other nutrients. But are the benefits worth the cost to your health?

Old 07-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #9
    strongernow
    Inactive
    (male)

strongernow HB User

For me no dairy is bad because I get cramps and diarehhia and break outs.

Old 07-03-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by strongernow
    For me no dairy is bad because I get cramps and diarehhia and break outs.
    In a way, you're lucky. Besides acne, I never had any problems with dairy. Growing up, I drank several glasses of milk everyday, ate yogurt, cheese, and ice cream. Except for acne, I never had a problem from eating dairy. Maybe if I had the kinds of problems you had, I would've realized sooner why dairy is bad. It's sad that it took me so long to notice the obvious. Nowadays, I don't just pay attention to how certain foods affect me, I also pay attention to how they affect others. If enough people are affected by a certain food, that's enough reason for me to be weary of it, even if doesn't affect me. At the very least, it'll raise a red flag in my mind.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #11
    littlebigeyes
    (female)

littlebigeyes HB User

I'm not saying dairy is not bad, but specifically what is the culprit in dairy besides the added hormones and antibiotics? (I'm sure that is enough.) Could it be that organic dairy is ok to eat, or is there something else about dairy?

Old 07-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User

We don't know for sure what ingredient in dairy causes acne or whether organic dairy makes any difference. And I doubt you'll ever see such a study. There are just too many corporate interests who stand to lose a lot of money if such research is pursued. Think about the tobacco industry and how long it took for anyone to prove that cigarettes caused lung cancer. If you're waiting for proof that certain foods are bad for you, you'll be waiting a long time. Put the burden on food companies to prove their foods are safe and if they can't, then don't take any chances.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:24 AM   #13
    theacnehelp
    (male)

theacnehelp HB User

Well, i happen to know a few things about health and skin care
    Though, there doesn't seem to be any medical link between what we eat and acne breakout, the truth is that the skin is part of the body and anything that is good for the body is good for the skin (and vice versa).
    I have always said that the face is an external expression of the how health the body is. So, if any food isn't really good for your health, expect that it won't be good for your face. That's the simplest logic

Old 07-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #14
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theacnehelp
    Well, i happen to know a few things about health and skin care
    Though, there doesn't seem to be any medical link between what we eat and acne breakout, the truth is that the skin is part of the body and anything that is good for the body is good for the skin (and vice versa).
    I have always said that the face is an external expression of the how health the body is. So, if any food isn't really good for your health, expect that it won't be good for your face. That's the simplest logic
    The state of your skin is a reflection of what's going on inside you. The reason there isn't a strong medical link between acne and food is because the research hasn't been done. And a big reason why the research hasn't been done is because there are too many business interests who don't want to see the connection between diet and acne made. Medical research is entirely driven by profit potential. If a scientists suspects that virus causes acne, then the medical establishment will gladly fund research to prove it because they can then use the findings to produce a drug to treat that virus. Doctors can then prescribe that drug so it's a win-win for a lot of people. But if you're a scientist who suspects that food causes acne, why would anyone want to fund your research? In the end, you'll just prove that a certain food causes acne and the people funding the research can't make money off of that. How do you make money off of telling people to stop eating certain foods?

Old 07-06-2006, 12:26 AM   #15
    marieclark33
    (female)

marieclark33 HB User

Some research say that food isn't the culprit at all. They don't affect our skin.

Closed Thread