It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• poll: washcloths good or bad???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-19-2003, 02:10 PM   #1
    micheguns
    Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User
    Post poll: washcloths good or bad???

do you think washcloths are a good thing to use or is it better to just use your hands and lather up? i have heard that washcloths are good, because they mildly exfoliate and once daily is fine, but i have also heard that it is a BAD idea for acne people because it just irritates the skin even further. WHAT IS GIRL TO DO....i have never used a washcloth, but am wondering if i need to start, to help exfoliate some of my dead skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2003, 03:34 PM   #2
    RAG

RAG HB User
    Hi,
    I'll join your poll. I personally like the exfoliation a washcloth can give and it helps me get all my make-up off BUT you need to keep the following things in mind:

BE GENTLE! Don't rub just sort of gently glide the cloth over your face.

Use a clean washcloth every time. I don't use a washcloth in the morning (just wash in the shower), but I do at night and I use a fresh washcloth each time.

Try finding "baby" washclothes. Most discount stores have them in multi-packs (Target, K-Mart, etc.) where you get 5 or 6 (handy for needing to use a clean one every night). These washclothes are not as "rough" as ordinary ones and therefore are helpful in keeping things gentle.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-19-2003, 03:43 PM   #3
    micheguns
    Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User
    so let's paint a little scenerio because i need the help still,
    Rag,
    let's say i have makeup on and i am ready to wash my face off at night (not really my face but the dirt and makup and oil)...so what do i do, do i put the cleanser on the baby washcloth and then just swipe it down my face or do i wash with my hands first and then wet the washcloth and swipe it down my face, or do i apply the cleanser to the cloth and in circular motions massage...i am still a bit confused. forgive me.
    -M

Old 06-19-2003, 03:45 PM   #4
    chemicaldreamer

chemicaldreamer HB User
    Can't you use a good quality paper towel? $3 and you'll get a month of disposable towels.

Old 06-19-2003, 04:39 PM   #5
    RAG

RAG HB User
    I don't know if there is a proper way to do things, but what I do is this:

-Splash water on my face to dampen
    -gently rub cleanser around
    -wet the washcloth and just bring it to my face, rinsing the washcloth, bringing it up again to get the cleanser off (repeat as necessary)
    -gently "rub" any areas that seem flaky or where the make-up didn't completely wash off

I don't ever rub my whole face, just certain spots. So that's what I personally do.

As for the paper towel suggestion, I have no clue how effective that is, but the baby washclothes I was suggesting are maybe $5 max and just wash them each week (non-fragrant detergent, no softener) and use them over and over.

Old 06-19-2003, 04:44 PM   #6
    poreoilyme
    Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
    I found a happy medium. I bought some of those cheapie thin cotton washcloths that come in a package of about l0 or l2. They are more gentle and smooth, so you get the benefit of slightly exfoliating and grabbing the makeup out of the pores, yet you aren't rubbing hard into your skin.

Old 06-19-2003, 06:04 PM   #7
    RAG

RAG HB User
    Yes! Those are what I'm talking about...I just happened to get mine in the "baby" section, but I believe we're talking about the same type of washcloth!

Old 06-19-2003, 06:19 PM   #8
    micheguns
    Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User
    so after rubbing your cleanser in with your hands (massaging it around) then you just wipe your face down with the warm wet washcloth? is that right?

Old 06-19-2003, 07:39 PM   #9
    chemicaldreamer

chemicaldreamer HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by RAG:
    Yes! Those are what I'm talking about...I just happened to get mine in the "baby" section, but I believe we're talking about the same type of washcloth!
    The ones in the baby aisle are normally scented... are the ones you get scented and treated as well?

Old 06-19-2003, 09:04 PM   #10
    poreoilyme
    Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
    These washcloths are just cotton--nothing is on them. They are not baby wipes, but you can buy baby washcloths like these too, but they are bitty-sized versions of the larger ones, lol!

Old 06-20-2003, 06:13 AM   #11
    RAG

RAG HB User
    The washclothes I was speaking of are not scented...just regular washclothes but with a much smoother texture.

And, micheguns, I more or less "dab" my face with the washcloth rather than rub it around. Sort of the same action of splashing your face with water but doing that with the washcloth...wetting it and bringing it up to my face and sort of holding it there...rubbing gently only in certain places.

Old 06-20-2003, 07:02 AM   #12
    JimC981

JimC981 HB User
    after I wash with my cleanser, I give my face a final wipe with a washcloth ... but that's it ... it seems to help get the leftover cleanser off my face ... but I do use a clean one everytime ...

Old 06-20-2003, 03:29 PM   #13
    poreoilyme
    Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
    Right, Rag. Those are the ones!

Closed Thread