It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Aspirin Mask update...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #16
    Erica Kane
    (female)

Erica Kane HB User
    Re: Aspirin Mask update...

Another question from a newbie - hope you don't mind.

I bought aspirin today, lightly coated, as I couldn't find uncoated - how often should you do this mask? Morning and night? Just once a day? I am extremely oily and suffering pretty bad cystic acne right now. I wash my face and within 20 minutes I could fry an egg on it - will this mask help with the oil?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #17
    Whisper30
    (female)

Whisper30 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ornament
    Whisper30 - how often, do you use this mask???? : -Orn
    Depends on your skin. I was using it every night for a while (probably over do), but had no dryness problems. I also added a capsule of green tea extract for its antioxidant properties (containing 50% polyphenols). I noticed my breakouts consistently lessen and skin looked much more toned and my face more youthful.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #18
    lleess
    (female)

lleess HB User

will ibuprofen or acetaminophen (in tylenol) work the same way?

Old 04-10-2007, 06:16 AM   #19
    caliente
    Veteran
    (female)

caliente HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lleess View Post
    no, it has to be plain generic aspirin tablets. go to your local pharmacy and look for a clear bottle with white aspirin tablets, as cheap as possible.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #20
    pa43
    (female)

pa43 HB User

Can I use this aspirin mask on body acne too? I have more pimples and scarring on my buttocks than anywhere else. Does it work as effectively on the body as it does on the face? And also, would I need to apply moisturizer to the buttocks after the mask or should I just leave it be?

Old 04-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #21
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lleess View Post
    Do not use ibuprofen or acetaminophen, they are not the same chemical as aspirin. Aspirin is atesalicylic acid, which is pretty much about the same as salicylic acid but in buffered form and this is why the aspirin works.

You can can also use it on your body as well, its up to you if you would like to put moisturizer, I guess since it can be drying that it would be a good idea.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #22
    Ibycus
    (female)

Ibycus HB User

I never had a skin problem when I was a teenager. As soon as I started birth control it's been a battle. I tried changing pills, all kinds of products, nothing worked. After taking tips from different posts I put together something that finally worked!! My skin is 99% better. I get a pimple here and there, but it's super small, doesn't hurt and doesn't last.

I disolve non-coated asprin (the grocery store brand was about a dollar a bottle) in lemon juice. I read lemon juice helps with redness and irritation. I then add honey to make it a spreadable mixture. I was using yogurt, but I think it was better before without it. After I do the mask I moisture with aloe. I keep a piece of the plant in the fridge. I just snip off a bit and rub it on my face. It helps to heal the old redness too! I do this once a day. Finally something that works and so cheap too!

When I need a mid afternoon toner to freshen from being oily I use a mixture of apple cidar vin and water. I don't use this often, but does not dry my skin out like store toner.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #23
    Enj
    (male)

Enj HB User

Does anyone know if the asprin mask helps against red marks from previous spots and redness? Also, what about cysts?

Old 04-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #24
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User

Since aspirin/atesalicylic acid is an AHA, it will help exfoliate your skin therefore aid in faiding the red marks. And the aspirin is anti-inflamitory, so I think it will only temporarily help with redness. I have some redness and I do the aspirin "scrub" every couple days, but I still have redness. Im not sure if it will help with cysts as I dont get those kind, sorry.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #25
    Enj
    (male)

Enj HB User

Thanks for the reply.

I just tried the asprin mask. It was very 'bitty', is this what it should be like? It was almost like rubbing a heavy facewash full of granuals on my face.

I washed it off, and my face is left probably more red than what it normally is after I wash. Is there anything I can do to make it less harsh on my skin? All I done was put about 10 asprin in a bowl, with some water. (I had to use 10 because I think I put too much water in - it was really just like plain water before, no chance of drying like a face mask).

Also, how often should I use this as a facemask? I know you said you use it every couple of days, but that is for a face scrub?

Last edited by Enj; 04-13-2007 at 08:24 AM.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #26
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User

You do not need to use that many aspirin. I usually use about 3-5, and what I do is hold the aspirin in my hand and keep adding drops of water until they dissolve to the point that its more of a paste. I use it as a scrub, which is the best way that its going to exfoliate your skin. You do not have to scrub very hard, just gently rub the grandules all over your skin. I do this while Ive just used my cleanser and havent rinsed it off yet. It does not fell nice as you're doing it, and will feel kinda gritty. But when you rinse it off, your skin should feel really soft. If you put aloe vera gel on afterwards, it should help with some of the redness and to also soothe your skin.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:40 AM   #27
    Enj
    (male)

Enj HB User

Thanks a lot. Looks like I need to find aloe vera gel then

Have you tried using lemonjuice?

Old 09-28-2007, 12:56 AM   #28
    m4x
    (male)

m4x HB User

Hi!

Great that the aspirin mask works great for you! I have decided to give it a try, but could you explain what the difference is between uncoated and coated? Where can I buy it online? It seems that it's quite hard to buy it here in Sweden.

What preperations do you use beside the the mask?

My daily routine is following:

AM Wash with a cleanser
    Applying Paulas Choice 2% BHA creme.
    Moisturizing until the dryness is gone

PM Wash with a cleanser
    Applying 2,5% Benzyol Peroxide over the entire face
    Moisturizing until the dryness is gone
    Applying Sudocrem (Great mask) over entire face and going to bed.

So if I add the mask im quite sure that it will be TOO much for my skin at the same time or what do you think? Should I discontinue using some products?

I read a little bit about the jojoba oil, im thinking of adding and mix it with my moisturizer to enhance moisturize properties. I read that jojoba oil is also helping get rid of acne. What do you think about that?

//m4x

Old 08-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #29
    Frodo609
    (female)

Frodo609 HB User

On similar lines, in the UK you can get topical ibuprofen sports gel. I've been applying it twice a day to my face, and my acne is *loads* better.

Closed Thread