It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Hormonal Acne..What is it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
    regime
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

regime HB User
    Hormonal Acne..What is it?

What exactly is hormonal acne? And does Accutane clear it up? My acne is not severe but its consistant, I've dealth with it for about 8 years now. My doctor said I will probably always have an acne problem because of something with my hormones. Does that mean I have hormonal acne?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
    LisaMarie982001
    (female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User
    Re: Hormonal Acne..What is it?

Get this book...

The hormonally vulnerable woman by Geoffrey Redmond

It will tell you all about it. It will also talk about a pill that treats hormonal acne. It's called spiro. I have just started taking the pill. Alot of other people on this board have too.

Last edited by LisaMarie982001; 08-01-2006 at 03:45 PM.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
    Katy5
    (female)

Katy5 HB User

I have hormonal acne and one of the reasons I went on birth control was to clear it up. What happens is around the time of the month that you have your period there is a change in your hormonal levels. Usually your hormone levels raise right before you get your period, and one of the things it does is produce more oil and such. So I think it's the combination of the changing hormones, combined with the excess production of oil being made from it causes acne.

In my personal case I knew I had hormonal acne because I would always get 4-5 large pimples about a week before I started my period every month, and then I would get 1-2 as my period was ending and my hormone levels were dropping back to normal. They were always located on my cheeks and especially my jawline/chin which is where the majority of hormonal acne shows up. I went on birth control which helps even out/balance my hormones and have had great results with it controlling my acne.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
    regime
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

regime HB User

ive tried everything for my acne, BCP's helped but too many side effects. My derm wants me to try Accutane, I think I'm just going to give it a go. I don't break out before my period and I rarely get pimples on my chin or jaw, its usually right below my eye on my cheek close to my nose

Old 08-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
    gcv2008
    (male)

gcv2008 HB User

can males have hormonal acne too? i think i might have this because i started to break out right as i hit puberty. i hope this is the case because my acne will probably go away or calm down once i finish puberty.

Closed Thread