It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• HELP! Running out of options....and patience.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
    acoolbreeze
    (male)

acoolbreeze HB User
    HELP! Running out of options....and patience.

Hi all,

I'm in my early 30's and I have had mild acne for years. I've tried many
    different things.
    First it was Benzoyl Peroxide but my skin reacted badly even to 2.5%.
    Next my GP prescribed Doxycycline and after two months there was no change.
    A dermotologist then prescribed Akamin (Minocycline) and Eryacne Gel. Again, after months there was little change.
    Continuing with Akamin the derm switched gels and I'm now using Duac once daily gel, but guess what........there is no change.
    I have very sensitive skin, so I'm reluctant to try Accutane/Roccutaine and I'm worried about taking the pills over such a long period of time.
    My skin is dry, feels stretched and is red from using facial stuff and exfoliating.
    What to do? Maybe I'm trying too hard. Maybe a simple over the counter thing may work for me. Maybe I should stop everything and see what happens. As time goes on I'm thinking more and more about trying Accutane too.
    Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
    babygirl2005_21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User
    Re: HELP! Running out of options....and patience.

Well it sounds like to me you are not responding to any treatments. Therefore you should go with the Accutane. I have heard people on here say it cleared them completley even though nothing else worked! It is a hard decision but I would go for it if I were you. I responded really well to Doxy but had to stop it because of yeast infections.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
    WanderingSoul
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WanderingSoul HB User

How long were you using the Benzoyl Peroxide? I use the 2.5%, and it took me a good month before my skin got used to it. As far as results go, I didn't start seeing results until I "prepped" my face first with 1% salicylic acid astringent (it took about a week for my face to get used to that too).. But now that i've been on the two of them, my skin has cleared significantly, and I don't get the redness or peeling anymore.

Good luck whatever you do.. and keep us posted on your progress!

Old 08-13-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
    Smokeyjo
    (female)

Smokeyjo HB User

Some things that have helped in the past: bactrim, spironolactone, fish oil capsules, and taking dairy out of my diet. BP also helped for years, but now isn't working. I hope this helps.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:37 AM   #5
    Kathp
    (female)

Kathp HB User

Excessive washing/scrubbing/exfoliating of the skin will exacerbate acne. If you completely rid the skin of all it's natural oils, it will simply produce even more to compensate.

I remember when I first started with oily skin and pimples, my skin felt 'dirty'. I would wash and scrub vigourously three or four times a day... and my skin has never looked worse. My mum (who suffered from horrendous adult acne) advised me quit scrubbing daily, and just exfoliate no more than 3 times a week -very gentley - and to wash my face twice a day with a simple face wash. My skin immediately looked and felt better. There are many routes you can go down, but I would advise short-term, to take a more sensitive approach to your daily cleansing regime.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
    acoolbreeze
    (male)

acoolbreeze HB User

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. (Keep it coming though)
    I'm cutting back on everything. I've stopped all the topicals and facial stuff and only applying Cetaphil twice a day and exfoliating twice a week.
    I've ordered Lipodec with much scepticism, but hey, its cheap and worth a try. I'll do this for a month and see what happens. I then have an appointment with the derm where I will mention........(deep breath).......Accutane. Will I take the plunge?
    Will keep you updated. Keep the advice coming.

Cheers.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
    acoolbreeze
    (male)

acoolbreeze HB User

Well its been a couple of weeks now. There's been a little improvement with the redness, but I'm not sure if the Lipodec is doing much. I'm increasing the dose to 6 a day.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:40 AM   #8
    jasmine1976

jasmine1976 HB User

This isn't quick by any means and if your allergic to bp it may not be an option anyway. But Clear and Smooth has cleared me VERY well. It took about 4 months though. The first 2 months I just thought it was a mediocre scrub. Really didn't figure I would reorder. But then the moisturizer I bought broke me out so the company sent me a new bottle of the scrub to replace the moisturizer. Around the end of the 2nd month/beginning of 3rd month, I broke out pretty bad but when that started clearing up, so did ALL of my acne and I haven't had a real bad break out since. One or two every now and then but they go away very quickly. The company tells you that you have to give it time to work and you can't use anything else while your using it otherwise it will counteract with the clear and smooth. One of the best things about it though is that you just wash your face with it and rinse it off so you don't have to go to sleep with anything on your face! They have a full money back guarantee (even s&h) and if you aren't having good results, they will give you advise on what you can do to speed your results. You really have nothing to loose. They are on ebay. Just search the product name without the spaces and then go into their store. Also, the Exotic Butter moisturizer was the one that I got a refund for. They let me keep it and I ended up using it on my body, which it worked AMAZING for (best body lotion EVER!!) but it broke my face out, but they have a daytime (it may be called day and night time) moisturizer that is awesome also!! This was on this board a while back and some people claimed it didn't really work for them but for most people, I just don't think they used it long enough to let it work.

Closed Thread