It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• List all the things you tried for scars...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2003, 12:01 PM   #1
    EMMANUEL
    Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
    Exclamation List all the things you tried for scars...

Everyone who has tried anything for scars, list what you tried, and what the results were.

I'll start, I tried microdermabrasion--HUGE waste of time and money. It did nothing to get rid of my scars.

I also tried Retin~A, that works pretty well; it helps with overall skin tone.

------------------
    May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to keep you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, and enough hope to keep you happy.

Peace

~*Emma*~

Peace

~*Emma*~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2003, 02:09 PM   #2
    michelle123

michelle123 HB User
    Hi Emma

I use a product that contains glycolic and salicylic acid, it's a perfection gel from MD formulations, but I'm sure there are many other brands of product with those ingredients in them, this seems to be working for me all beit slowly, also works great on those exsisting pimples, kills them and dries them up really well. Hope this helps you!

Old 01-24-2003, 02:25 PM   #3
    cherrygurl

cherrygurl HB User
    I have tried vitamin K, dermabrasion ( the one you get at a plastic surgeon with anesthesia), Elicina, Retin-a, Mederma...let's see- I think that's it. The one that works is Elicina and it is rather inexpensive.

Old 01-24-2003, 04:10 PM   #4
    vjc715

vjc715 HB User
    Talking

I've tried DermaSponge and retin-a, burts bees exfoliation scrub, a citrus scrub, vitamin e, burts bees marshmallow fade cream, home microdermabration kit. I'm sure I'll think of a ton more ;-) If it exists out there, it sure seems like I've tried it! I hate to admit it, but I'm a product groupie looking for a miracle.

Great post Emma!

[This message has been edited by vjc715 (edited 01-24-2003).]

Old 01-24-2003, 04:20 PM   #5
    daylight568
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

daylight568 HB User
    I've tried EXPENSIVE MD.Forte glycolic cream= breakout.
    Creams = breakouts period for me.
    Aloe vera from the gel has worked the best for me= no break outs.

Old 01-24-2003, 05:33 PM   #6
    EMMANUEL
    Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
    Thanks for responding everyone!

It seems like we've all tried a lot. I'm really starting to think that nothing really works. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gif

Cherrygurl, You said you had dermabrasion--what was that like? It didn't work AT ALL? I'm asking because I'm currently deciding if I'm going to get it. It's really my last resort-if I don't get that, then I don't think I'm getting anything. I'm so sick of this.

------------------
    May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to keep you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, and enough hope to keep you happy.

Peace

~*Emma*~

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 01-24-2003, 07:01 PM   #7
    Evelyn

Evelyn HB User
    Emmanuel, I'm glad you mentioned your experience with microdermabrasion, because I was actually considering M/D to speed up the fading process.

I seriously don't know which is worse about acne, the pimples or the scars. I've tried many things to fade my marks quicker:

* AHA (this made my skin feel tight)
    * Papaya Masks (nada)
    * Creme de la Mer (too expensive, but didn't work anyways)
    * Enzyme masks (nada)
    * Jojoba Oil (too greasy)
    * At-Home Microdermabrasion kit (big waste of money!)
    * Cocoa Butter (too greasy)
    * Mederma (nada)
    * Aloe Vera (tried both a lotion and A/V straight from the plant, and still nada)

Right now, Skin Bio's CP Serum seems to be helping the process. If anything, it heals any blemishes more rapidly, so there are no scars to deal with. I can actually look at the mirror these days without having to dive for my concealer. I'm also using Carley's C&S and Paula's Choice BHA, and taking vitamins E & C daily. All the exfoliation is making my face shiny smooth. Hope this lasts!

HTH

[This message has been edited by Evelyn (edited 01-24-2003).]

Old 01-24-2003, 07:34 PM   #8
    EMMANUEL
    Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
    Hi Evelyn.

Microdermabrasion DOES help DISCOLORATION, it just doesn't significantly affect scars.If you have red/brown spots, it will greatly improve them, but you'll still have scars.

BTW, given the choice, I'd pick acne over scars any day of the week, at least a zit will go away, a scar never will.

------------------

Peace

~*Emma*~

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 01-24-2003, 09:49 PM   #9
    fedup123

fedup123 HB User
    Evelyn...you tried an at home microdermabrasion kit??..I just ordered the Youthfulessence home dermabrasion kit...I am hoping that will work...I really want these red marks to go away..even with make-up you can still tell I have them..and the few icepick marks along my jaw...will those ever go away???..or am I stuck with those for good???..I am currently using Sage bleaching lotion..it has helped..but not quick enough....and expensive...I am wondering if I should try aloe vera gel...do you think that will help with red makrs??

Holly

Old 01-25-2003, 07:42 AM   #10
    stef7654

stef7654 HB User
    Let's see, where do I begin? I tried glycolic peels, Bio-Medic micro-plus peels, microdermabrasion, C02 laser, erbium laser, Retin-A, Syprex cream, Rose Hips Oil, saline injections, and self-needling. That is a lot of stuff! My scars have improved somewhat, but not 50% or more. I feel the needling works the best. But I am going to wait to have a professional do that.
    I am now trying the dermaroller with Retin-A and topical Vitamin C.

Old 01-25-2003, 07:56 AM   #11
    MistyDawn

MistyDawn HB User
    I'm too afraid to try anything for scars. My face is just now clearing up and I'm terrified to put anything on it other than what is in my current regimen. I did try Retin A a few months ago for breakouts but it made my skin horribly dry and it made the red marks worse.

Mint julep seems to be helping to fade away some of the red marks. This may be my imagination. I didn't buy it w/ the intent of fading scars but it seems to help...

Old 01-25-2003, 09:49 AM   #12
    ZC

ZC HB User
    I've tried glycolic acid and salycilic acid creams/toners, didn't like either, made skin red and sore. i've done cortisone injections, those worked great for the acne and for a long time all i've been using is Aleo Vera which fades red marks gently, no over night miracle but DOES work and no gross side effects. Oh, and there was a period of about 2 months when i was regularly brushing skin with a face brush and then moisturising after with a 10% collagen cream. This did wonders for red marks and overall skin tone. I now brush once a fortnight.

In my experience ive found that the key to getting your skin back to normal is moisture moisture moisture. Doesnt really matter what you moisturise with as long as its something that you know doesnt break you out. A tip which my derm told me before you put on your moisturiser. Pinch your face gently all over, this will allow the moisturiser to penetrate deeper as you have activated circulation.

Old 01-25-2003, 11:36 AM   #13
    OursFan

OursFan HB User
    I had laser surgery (c02) and it helped some (probably around 30-40%, but I think that they come back a bit in time. I'd do it again if:
    - the cost was a lot less ($3,000)
    - if it didn't hurt so much
    - there wasn't so much downtime

I've tried DermaSponge and I think that has helped a few of my icepicks a bit (maybe 25%?). I've only done two treatments thus far though.

I am now using Skin Bio's Exfol Serum and CP Serum and I think it might be helping a bit with the superficial scarring. I don't see that it's helping the rolling scars as of yet, but I've only been doing it about two weeks.

I had a friend who is a tattoo artist do one of my scars with the needling technique. I think there was some improvement (maybe 30%), but now he's moving back to Canada so I would need to find someone else who could do it in my area. From what I've seen it would take at least two times of needling to see markable improvement (at least for my severe scars).

I am now researching Doctors in my area and I am seeing another one on Monday. I am hoping to get subcision done by a really good Doctor. I think that will be the best option for my rolling scars.

Old 01-25-2003, 01:21 PM   #14
    EMMANUEL
    Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
    Oursfan,

You said you had laser, but you think they come back in time. Do you think that is because after all the inflammtion subsides the scars are visible yet again?That is my theory with many of these procedures--like needling for instance, at first since you are swollen, it fills in the scar, but later after it goes down, the results aren't as good. I wonder how needling can make a scar disappear--tattoos aren't raised http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Anyway, thanks for the input

------------------

Peace

~*Emma*~

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 01-25-2003, 03:31 PM   #15
    OursFan

OursFan HB User
    I don't think they come back 100%, but that they do come back a bit - still think they are improved though not as much as when I first had the surgery. I imagine it has something to do with collagen, though I don't know exactly what or why that is. In my case, I am getting older and I've probably lost some collagen in getting older and it's been about 4 years since I had the surgery.

As for the needling, I believe that it's supposed to break up the scar tissue from underneath the skin and rebuild the collagen. Basically, re-traumatizing the skin but it is supposed to heal more "normally" than when it originally scarred. That's my understanding of it, but I don't know if my understanding is correct.

Closed Thread