It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• BENZAMYCIN & other topical antibiotics

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2003, 12:16 PM   #1
    Aaron43
    Veteran

Aaron43 HB User
    Post BENZAMYCIN & other topical antibiotics

I was posting a reply for a 'BENZAMYCIN ' topic the other day and said that it is the strongest of the three topical antibiotics.

The three being CLINDAMYCIN, ERYTHROMYCIN, and of course, BENZAMYCIN: which is ERYTHROMYCIN along with Bezoyl Peroxide.

-------------------------

I might be wrong about BENZAMYCIN being the 'strongest,'

-although it has been proven to work with most effectivness instead of the other topical anti-biotics alone with no BP mixed in it.

--------------------------

Nevertheless, I wanna make sure and see what you guys might know about topical antibiotics. Is the BENZAMYCIN the best form or does CLINDAMYCIN gel seem to be the more favorite?

I visit my derm again in 1 month. Previously, he gave me CLINDAMYCIN. But I used BENZAMYCIN from a different derm and had free refills, so why not - because it was working well. Just wondering why this derm gave CLINDAMYCIN and the other BENZAMYCIN.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2003, 05:23 AM   #2
    sickofbumps

sickofbumps HB User
    I read somewhere the clindamycin is the new "darling" of dermatologists because it is excessively drying like other topicals. I'm on duac which is duac and clindamycin. It along with Azelex is working well. One thing I noticed in the prescription information is that acne can become resistant to the clindamycin and studies did not show a significant difference in improvement between clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide and plain benzoyl peroxide. I don't know about you but I just want something to work so whatever works keep doing it.

Old 06-29-2003, 07:29 PM   #3
    hjohnson

hjohnson HB User
    I've been using benzaclin for a couple of years and like it. It dries your skin out and even reduces redness. You can dictate how dry your skin gets by the frequency of the application and how many "layers" you put on a particular spot during an application. When I have a really bad spot, I put 2-4 layers on the spot (let each one dry for about 15 seconds). I have noticed that the more you put on and the more frequently you apply it, the more your skin dries out. So be careful. An area can look a a little red like sunburn if you overtreat an area. But sometimes I have spots that are so bad that the slight redness and over-dryness is better than the alternative.

Closed Thread