It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• want clear skin???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2006, 11:14 PM   #1
    mommaoftwinsplus1
    Veteran
    (female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User
    want clear skin???

All I can say...I have tried almost everything..except accutane, and my cure was spiro!!!! Please give it a try. I was frusterated for at least 10 years of trying to find a "cure". I have never been so happy with my skin. I am in my 30's and now have clear skin. I get maybe one pimple a month. Before I would get at least 10 cysts a month. If you are a female, and suffer from acne, please ask your derm. for this medication. It's Spironolactone 100mg daily. Its the only thing that has worked for me...now I don't obsess about my skin!

mommaoftwinsplus1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User
    Re: want clear skin???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mommaoftwinsplus1
    All I can say...I have tried almost everything..except accutane, and my cure was spiro!!!! Please give it a try. I was frusterated for at least 10 years of trying to find a "cure". I have never been so happy with my skin. I am in my 30's and now have clear skin. I get maybe one pimple a month. Before I would get at least 10 cysts a month. If you are a female, and suffer from acne, please ask your derm. for this medication. It's Spironolactone 100mg daily. Its the only thing that has worked for me...now I don't obsess about my skin!

mommaoftwinsplus1

Hi momma - Thank you for keeping the word out there and coming back to share your success. At my daughter's tender age she had already been battling for 7 years. Do you have any side effects? She gets a little tired and thirsty on 75 mg/day and has to drink a ton of water. She takes Yasmin (25 mg) plus 50 mg additional spiro. I haven't seen her for a couple for weeks but it seems to be working so Yay!!! She sees the derm soon and I wonder if she should ask to be on 100 mgs. total since she still seems to get a few pimples here and there. I am happy for your success.

Last edited by skimom; 12-09-2006 at 12:23 PM.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
    Grace08
    (female)

Grace08 HB User

What are the side effects...dry skin, ect? Also Spiro..sounds sorta like a bc pill...is it just for acne adn how much!? thanks for the info in advance -grace

Old 12-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grace08
    What are the side effects...dry skin, ect? Also Spiro..sounds sorta like a bc pill...is it just for acne adn how much!? thanks for the info in advance -grace

The side effects can range from dizziness to thirst to being tired because it is a diuretic. It can also affect potassium levels in the body so I think it's good to have a doctor involved in your care. My daughter's doctor monitors her occasionally with blood tests to make sure all is well. Spironolactone was orignally a drug used to lower high blood pressure but it was discovered that it lowered testosterone (androgen) levels in the body. That wasn't so good for the male population but that is why it works so well on acne. It's not a hormone but it blocks androgen's effect on skin and hair for that matter. Androgens are the primary cause of acne in females who are sensitive to it IMO.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
    jeffb89
    (male)

jeffb89 HB User

Soooo... me, being a 19 year old male.. probably shouldnt request this prescription from my derm? this primarily a female acne fighting product?

Old 01-01-2007, 10:36 PM   #6
    hopetobeclear
    (female)

hopetobeclear HB User

Hi Momma-
    I am on 200 mg of Spiro/day, and have just started my second month. I am still breaking out. How long did it take you to achieve clear skin? I'm also on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen (have been for years), and also use Proactive (again, have been for years). What kind of face wash do you use?

Old 01-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
    mommaoftwinsplus1
    Veteran
    (female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

I have been using spiro for a year now. And I still have great results. I have no side effects. I am on 100mg a day. As far as "face wash" I use Dove soap. I keep it simple. Seems to work!

Good Luck

Old 02-21-2007, 05:22 AM   #8
    faithinjesus200
    (female)

faithinjesus200 HB User
    Smile Re: want clear skin???

Spironolactone has changed my life. I am going on 44 and have had acne for 30 years. I have tried everything and after a week of Spironolactone. My face is getting so much clearer. What a lifesaver.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
    hopetobeclear
    (female)

hopetobeclear HB User

HI all,
    I am sooooo frustrated!!! So it seemed as though I was getting clear. There was a period of time this past month where I didn't have any active pimples and it seemed as though I was healing nicely. I started breaking out again about a week and a half ago....time for my period! It is not as bad still as last month (I think), but is this normal? LisaMarie, did you stop breaking out before your period. Everyone...did your acne slowly go away??? I will start my 4th month on Tuesday the 27th....why am I not 100% clear yet?? I am so frustrated, it seems like the spiro is working, but then I breakout again. I don't know what to do.....

Last edited by hopetobeclear; 02-21-2007 at 04:41 PM.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:35 PM   #10
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopetobeclear View Post
    HI all,
    I am sooooo frustrated!!! So it seemed as though I was getting clear. There was a period of time this past month where I didn't have any active pimples and it seemed as though I was healing nicely. I started breaking out again about a week and a half ago....time for my period! It is not as bad still as last month (I think), but is this normal? LisaMarie, did you stop breaking out before your period. Everyone...did your acne slowly go away??? I will start my 4th month on Tuesday the 27th....why am I not 100% clear yet?? I am so frustrated, it seems like the spiro is working, but then I breakout again. I don't know what to do.....
    I thought I would mention that although my daughter is getting very good results on spiro and Yasmin, she still takes 200 mg of Doryx per day. I am wondering if you could benefit with an antibiotic. Please forgive me if you are and I just missed that. What does your doctor say?

Old 02-21-2007, 10:36 PM   #11
    hopetobeclear
    (female)

hopetobeclear HB User

I am seeing an endocrinologist. He said that it would take a while for the results of Spiro to become noticable (2-4 months), as it has for many people I've talked to on this board. I realize this, and I'm impatient...but hoping it works. My acne is still not as bad as last month...or even the month before that, but it's still not good enough. I do not want to go on an antibiotic...they've never really worked for me. And, if I go on an any other type of meds I think I should do another round of Accutane (as I know it really works for me). It's just that I'm starting the 4th month soon, and loosing hope!!!

Closed Thread