It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• I don't buy the "unless you moisturize, your skin produces more oil" theory

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
    Erica Kane
    (female)

Erica Kane HB User
    I don't buy the "unless you moisturize, your skin produces more oil" theory

My skin, whether I use moisturizer or nothing, produces oil so rapidly and in such large quantities, that the LAST thing I need is a moisturizer.

I think that's a line of garbage created by cosmetic companies to sell moisturizers to desperate souls with super oily skin.

Anyone else think it's all BS?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
    zabuphia
    (female)

zabuphia HB User
    Re: I don't buy the "unless you moisturize, your skin produces more oil" theory

yes! thats the same thing i think. i've tried so many moisturizers to keep my oily skin undercontrol but it's just a waste of money because it doesnt reduce oil what-so-ever...absolutly no help for my skin. i have yet to find a moisturizer that works.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:08 AM   #3
    Erica Kane
    (female)

Erica Kane HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zabuphia
    yes! thats the same thing i think. i've tried so many moisturizers to keep my oily skin undercontrol but it's just a waste of money because it doesnt reduce oil what-so-ever...absolutly no help for my skin. i have yet to find a moisturizer that works.
    Thank you. I am so tired of hearing this. I just think some people have no idea how oily a person's skin can be. I produce plenty of natural moisture by myself - I can't even imagine wanting to put something moist on my skin - it feels gross enough.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
    guitarplayer
    (male)

guitarplayer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erica Kane
    I just think some people have no idea how oily a person's skin can be.
    I know what you mean, my skin pumps out a ton of oil regardless to whether I use moisturizer, how often I wash my face (or even not washing it at all as some have suggested) or anything else that I do to it really. I've done quite a bit of experimenting in the 10+ years I've had acne and oily skin and a few things I've found clearly go against the textbook examples of good skin care. I guess everyone is different though, but for me I also find moisturizer to just be a waste of money.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
    lindamh
    Inactive

lindamh HB User

Paula Begouin, the Cosmetic Cop and auther of 'Don't go to the Cosmetic Counter without Me' agrees. And she has a line of products that include moisturizers.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:35 PM   #6
    johnson1226
    (female)

johnson1226 HB User

i completely understand what ya'll are saying. has anyone ever tried fresh lemons? my mother told me about it and i thought she was absolutely crazy. she got me a fresh lemon and round it on the table to produce "juice". she cut it open and told me to rub it on my face. so i did and she told me to wait until it dried and then washed it off. if you have open sores on your face it hurt like crazy but it gets the job done.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:18 AM   #7
    princessloki
    (female)

princessloki HB User

Ummm....I do, basically because it's worked for me. I have combo skin, very oily in the T zone, but after a while of using a water based moisturizer it evened out alot of my skin. Maybe you're using oil based products...which DO make your skin oily.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:56 AM   #8
    Erica Kane
    (female)

Erica Kane HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by princessloki
    Ummm....I do, basically because it's worked for me. I have combo skin, very oily in the T zone, but after a while of using a water based moisturizer it evened out alot of my skin. Maybe you're using oil based products...which DO make your skin oily.
    Nope. Oil-free. Never mattered. My skin is oily everywhere, even on my cheeks where supposedly, there aren't as many oil glands. I just think if you fall into the "super oily" category, your skin will produce a ton of oil whether you moisturize or not.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #9
    babygirl2005_21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

I have always wondered about this theory too. I remember when I didn't have acne I never moisturized. Now I do but only if I am going to wear make-up so it will go on smoother. Otherwise I just use my topicals and leave it at that. My skin isn't super oily but it gets oily on my forehead and chin.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
    babygirl2005_21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

I'm bumping this cause I would like more opinions.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #11
    SweetAmy87
    (female)

SweetAmy87 HB User

your skin makes moisturization on its own, yes. Moisturizers arent needed to make oil go down but the concept is the same for what you do need to do. Your skin uses the water in your body to keep your skin hydrated, if you drink efficient amounts of water for several weeks, your body will cut down oil production because your skin is doing fine on its own with the water its receiving. Natural Moisturization starts deep in the skin, in the dermis layer or maybe deeper. Moisturizers only help to relieve dryness of the epidermis, or outer layer, of the skin. Lotions dont penetrate your skin and your oil glands say hey! we can stop making oil now for the rest of this person's life because we feel some grease. Your oil glands have no idea lotion is on the skin, the only way theyre going to feel like they can cut down what theyre doing is if you drink alot of water for a long time. You have to change the way your body works, it's a long process. But yea, moisturizers aren't going to cut down oil production. They are supposed to keep wrinkles at bay though, maybe thats a whole other discussion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    _-*~!ŚMy!~*-_
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:32 PM   #12
    babygirl2005_21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

Hmmm interesting that was some really good info.!

Old 12-18-2006, 08:36 AM   #13
    primo1
    (male)

primo1 HB User

actually this theory is proven to be false. there are some studies i read from the other forums.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #14
    seaj
    (male)

seaj HB User

I have found quite the opposite. With the use of jojoba oil, I have greatly decreased my oil production to the point where my skin gets flaky after showers which isn't necessarily a good thing. I think that SweetAmy87's explanation for oil production is true too since many people don't get their daily water requirement anyways.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:04 PM   #15
    Erica Kane
    (female)

Erica Kane HB User

I don't know. I drink water like crazy and it's never made any difference in my oily skin. In fact, nothing has. The only time in my life that my skin wasn't oily was in early childhood. After that - it's all been downhill. Moisturizers, water, avoiding trigger foods - it's all a bunch of garbage if you ask me. If you're cursed, you're cursed - sad, but true.

Closed Thread