It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• microdermabrasion???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-19-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
    brittney_marie
    (female)

brittney_marie HB User
    microdermabrasion???

Im on retin-a-micro for night and benzaclin for the mornings. I was thinking about going for a treatment of microdermabrasion...has anyone had this done? what were your results?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
    CaseyCasum
    (female)

CaseyCasum HB User
    Lightbulb Re: microdermabrasion???

How long have you been on Retin A? I had a dermatologist give me a perscription and samples of the retin-a micro. I only used a few samples before it destroyed my face. I only had little bumps I wanted to get rid of and the Retin A gave me huge red painful welts. He said it would get worse before it got better and it just got worse over the course of 2 months until I went back on Diane-35. I tried Microderm while I was on retin-a and it didn't help but that was because of the Retin A. I went off Diane-35 again 6 months ago and just start breaking out last month. It was getting really bad then 2 weeks ago I went to see another dr. and he did microdermabrasion the the Blu-U light. It looked bad the next day but then it started getting better. I wash my face with Berts Bee OrangeEssence facial Cleanser, and use a natural moisturizing cream. I spot treat with neutragena salicylic acid stuff and it works great. Its been a week and a half and all my blemishes are gone!
    I think if you overkill with the harsh chemicals and pills its just a bandaid solution at best. I always thought my face wasn't sensitive but its responding so much better to natural products. My biggest regret was the Retin A so keep an eye out. If it looks and feels like its getting worse then stop. Sorry for my rambling.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
    wholegrain
    Veteran
    (female)

wholegrain HB User
    Re: microdermabrasion???

I had microdermabrasion done twice. In my opinion, it was not much of a noticeable difference. But other people said my skin looked a little smoother and "glowy". It's supposed to take like six treatments though before you even notice a difference anyway.

The thing about microdermabrasion though is that you can't have it done unless your face is totally clear. It isn't an acne treatment. It's a procedure to help with the scarring and dead skin caused by acne. If you got microdermabrasion done while your face was broken out, it would irritate and break open all your pimples and spread the bacteria all over your face.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brittney_marie
    Im on retin-a-micro for night and benzaclin for the mornings. I was thinking about going for a treatment of microdermabrasion...has anyone had this done? what were your results?

My daughter has had both treatmetns and got the best results from Salicylic acid peels. She was using benzaclin at that time also and also an oral anti-biotic. Her skin got perfect for about 1 1/2 years. I would spend the money you would put out for micro-dermabrasion and go for that. It was a specific company's SA peels though. She has had others that were more harsh and not as effective.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaseyCasum
    My biggest regret was the Retin A so keep an eye out.
    I love Retin-A, it does wonders for my skin. I had about 6 demabrasion sessions (probaly $500 total) and didn't see much difference.

Closed Thread