It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Spiro Question?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
    krista39
    (female)

krista39 HB User
    Spiro Question?!

Well I've recently just written about trying different things like spiro and yasmin...and I'm finally starting Spiro....tomorrow. Like I've said early my acne isnt horrible I just have breakouts that get on my nerves and I want to get rid of them for the most part so I don't have to wake up every day wondering what my face looks like. Anyways, for all of you who have taken spiro I have a few ?'s
    1. Was there an initial breakout
    2. About how long did it take for you to see results?
    3. If you did see results how are your breakouts now?
    4. What kinda side effects did you have?

Thank you all very much! I just like to know everything I can...before taking stuff...because its easier for doctors to say things...but its even better to get info and opinions from people who have actually taken it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2006, 02:42 AM   #2
    LisaMarie982001
    (female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User
    Re: Spiro Question?!

Hi. I've been taking spiro for five months now.

1. I really can't say if spiro gave me an inital breakout be/c I was starting so many other things at the same time.

2. After a couple of days I could see that the oil on my face was gone. And I am one of those people who would wash their face and within a half an hour the oil would be back. I could see my breakouts getting smaller and smaller as the months went by. It takes spiro 2-4 months to work. And for acne it's a range between 75-200mgs per day for people to see results. I started out taking 100mgs but it wasn't giving me the results I had hoped for after five months so I called my derm and we added 50mgs more a day. Get the book The hormonally Vulnerable woman by Geoffrey Redmond. It's a great book. It talks about spiro, birth control pill, all kinds of stuff. It really helped me make the decision to give spiro a try and I'm glad I did.

3. My breakouts are much better now! I never really breakout to much before but I switched bcpills and it didn't agree with me and break me out soooo bad. So I had to switch back to my orginal bcp (I got off of it be/c of the mood swings but feel that I much rather have the mood swings then my crazy face). Like I said I have no oil on my face and my breakouts are getting fewer and fewer. I mainly breakout around my period time. But I think I did need to go up on spiro so I think I will be even better now.

4. When I first started taking spiro (see again this is hard be/c I was taking other things, i was taking doxy which did nothing for me), I had head aches everyday, i would wake up with them, I was tired more, my boobs were tender and looked more full, ummmmm i think thats it. But again doxy has side effects too so I was getting headaches from both the doxy and spiro so I really sucked. But now I don't have the side effects, I am tired sometimes. I wish I could have kept the bigger boobs one lol.

But please get the book. It really helped me! Good LUCK!!!! I hope everything works out for you!! Let us know how you are doing!!!

Old 12-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
    hopetobeclear
    (female)

hopetobeclear HB User

Hi, I am new to this board...but not new to acne. I have struggled with acne for most of my teen and twenty years (just turned 28). Although my acne is not normally horiffic, I am not satisfied unless I have completely clear skin. I have completed 4 courses of Accutane (I think, I've kind of lost track), but...enevitablly, my acne ALWAYS comes back. I am also on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen (regular, not low), and have been taking Spironolactone for about a month. Thing is, I am in the middle of my worst breakout yet. I have about 16 zits, primarily around my mouth. I have high hopes for Spiro and "hope to be clear," but geese...I am fed up with acne. I just want clear skin darnit! Essentailly, I need some advice, help, support from Spiro users. Does it really work? How long until my skin is totally clear? Basically, is it the miracle cure we're all looking for?

Old 12-22-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
    Kiasmama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiasmama HB User

I've been taking sprio about a week and definately notice much less oil on my face. I would even like to say my skin cleared up a bit....but I'm sure it will take longer. Just less oil is nice! I haven't had any side effects that I've noticed. Always drank a lot of water so....not really noticing any extra trips to the bathroom....so far so good. Can't wait for a few more months to see what happens.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

My daughter has been on Yasmin and spiro for about 6 months. She started clearing up immediately but did not clear completely until about now I'd say. In the beginning she did break out some but still less than usual. She looks great now. With makeup - she looks perfect. She takes 50 mg in addition to the Yasmin. Before she had cystic acne and her old derm wanted to put her back on accutane which didn't work the first time. Hormonal control is a much gentler approach for women. As far as side effects go, she gets tired more easily and has to drink lots of water.

Last edited by skimom; 12-22-2006 at 08:32 PM.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:54 AM   #6
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LisaMarie982001
    Hi. I've been taking spiro for five months now.

1. I really can't say if spiro gave me an inital breakout be/c I was starting so many other things at the same time.

2. After a couple of days I could see that the oil on my face was gone. And I am one of those people who would wash their face and within a half an hour the oil would be back. I could see my breakouts getting smaller and smaller as the months went by. It takes spiro 2-4 months to work. And for acne it's a range between 75-200mgs per day for people to see results. I started out taking 100mgs but it wasn't giving me the results I had hoped for after five months so I called my derm and we added 50mgs more a day. Get the book The hormonally Vulnerable woman by Geoffrey Redmond. It's a great book. It talks about spiro, birth control pill, all kinds of stuff. It really helped me make the decision to give spiro a try and I'm glad I did.

3. My breakouts are much better now! I never really breakout to much before but I switched bcpills and it didn't agree with me and break me out soooo bad. So I had to switch back to my orginal bcp (I got off of it be/c of the mood swings but feel that I much rather have the mood swings then my crazy face). Like I said I have no oil on my face and my breakouts are getting fewer and fewer. I mainly breakout around my period time. But I think I did need to go up on spiro so I think I will be even better now.

4. When I first started taking spiro (see again this is hard be/c I was taking other things, i was taking doxy which did nothing for me), I had head aches everyday, i would wake up with them, I was tired more, my boobs were tender and looked more full, ummmmm i think thats it. But again doxy has side effects too so I was getting headaches from both the doxy and spiro so I really sucked. But now I don't have the side effects, I am tired sometimes. I wish I could have kept the bigger boobs one lol.

But please get the book. It really helped me! Good LUCK!!!! I hope everything works out for you!! Let us know how you are doing!!!
    Hey LisaMarie! Remember me? I think we talked a long time ago. Anyhow...I was previously on spiro, but stoped because of the side effects. Well, it turns out that some of the side effects could have been due to a different med I was on. SOooo, now I'm back on Spiro. I can't wait for the months to go by and my face to clear up again-- when I took spiro previously, it really worked well, but my skin was SO dry. I guess I'd rather have dry, flaky skin, than a bunch of zits. I started November 21 with only 25 mg, but gradually worked up to the 200 mg that I'm on now. I was just wondering-- do you take all 150 at once, or do you split it up over 2 doses? Right now I'm taking 100 mg in the AM and 100 mg in the PM, but I've been thinking about just taking it all at once in the middle of the day (with my largest meal). The doc didn't specify what I should do, and the bottle of pills just says "take 200 mg daily". Any advice? Thanks!

Old 12-24-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
    LisaMarie982001
    (female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peachy420
    Hey LisaMarie! Remember me? I think we talked a long time ago. Anyhow...I was previously on spiro, but stoped because of the side effects. Well, it turns out that some of the side effects could have been due to a different med I was on. SOooo, now I'm back on Spiro. I can't wait for the months to go by and my face to clear up again-- when I took spiro previously, it really worked well, but my skin was SO dry. I guess I'd rather have dry, flaky skin, than a bunch of zits. I started November 21 with only 25 mg, but gradually worked up to the 200 mg that I'm on now. I was just wondering-- do you take all 150 at once, or do you split it up over 2 doses? Right now I'm taking 100 mg in the AM and 100 mg in the PM, but I've been thinking about just taking it all at once in the middle of the day (with my largest meal). The doc didn't specify what I should do, and the bottle of pills just says "take 200 mg daily". Any advice? Thanks!

Hi! I do remember you!! My moms favorite color is peach haah. Anyway lol, I just take it all at once. My body is so used to it I don'teven have to eat with it now which is cool. I take it all at once just be/c I'm afraid that I will forget to take the rest of it. I want to take 200mgs too but my derm said just to add the 50mgs then go up if we have to but i want to now lol. I'm glad you're back on spiro! My derm says it doesn't matter how you take them... as in all at once or spliting.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #8
    Erica Kane
    (female)

Erica Kane HB User

I used Spiro for over a year and it didn't do a thing for me. I think my oily skin is just so over the top, nothing is going to help except maybe Accutane - but I can't find a derm willing to prescribe it.

I do wish you well though - I hear it works great for many people.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
    hopetobeclear
    (female)

hopetobeclear HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peachy420
    Hi Peachy,
    We started the same amount of spiro around (roughly) the same time. I too started mid-to late November (I can't exactly remember), and I am taking 200 mgs. I was just wondering how you are doing? Are you getting clear? How bad was your acne before starting? I'm still breaking out!

Old 01-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #10
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Hi Well, my acne has been pretty mild for a long time. I've also been on antibiotics continuously for a few years now. Prior to the antibiotics, I would consider my acne moderate. With the antibiotics, it was mild. I'd mainly get zits on my chin/jaw and my T-zone. My skin has always been on the dry side- never oily. My endocrinologist prescribed me the Spiro because I also have mild hirsutism (facial hair growth, but thank god I have fair-colored hair so you can't really see it).

So far, my skin seems about the same. It's definitely not worse than before, but maybe only slightly better. It does feel a littel dryer. When I took it before, it really did take about 3 months to really see improvement (in the acne and facial hair), so I'm hoping that by March things will be good. How are things for you?

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 01-06-2007 at 11:03 AM.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
    lindamh
    Inactive

lindamh HB User

Your skin should get a lot less oily almost immediately. Because I can't stand the dehydration, I've taken 50 mgs, 100 mgs, and 0 spiro. I notice the difference in my hair. I just tried taking 100 again a couple weeks ago and immediately, I could go for days without washing it. But I wake up dying of thirst about every 3 hours, so Friday I took only 50 and my hair is now oily on the second day. I suppose that means 50mgs isn't doing me much good. I should probably try 75mg again.

I couldn't tell you how fast it works on acne as my skin was already nearly clear when I started Spiro.

Peachy: You noticed a difference in hair growth in only 3 months? How much do you take?

Last edited by lindamh; 01-06-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #12
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

I take 200 mg once a day. That's what my endocrinoligist said is needed to help diminish hair growth. She said that just for acne, docs prescribe 100 mg, but to really treat hirsutism, 200 mg is needed.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #13
    hopetobeclear
    (female)

hopetobeclear HB User

Hi peachy,
    So I am still breaking out. I've figured I'm 1 month and 10.5 days into it (a little nuerotic...I know ) I have, I guess, mild acne as well (though, to me, it is just horrendous)...just around my mouth/chin area ( I guess thats considered hormonal). For the others that are reading this, I am taking 200 mgs/day (100 in the am, 100 in the pm). Luckily I am not experiecncing any side effects. I have a mild headache right now, but I think it's because I slept with my contacts in...oops! It seems like my acne is getting better, but just when I think that I'll see a new zit...Don't ya hate that! I am just worried that it is not going to work for me (like that person that responded to this thread a week or so ago ). Are you seeing less hairgrowth too? I don't think I am. Oh, but in regards to the oil...I am definetly less oily, and my lips are chapped.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #14
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

My main complaint is that I'm always dehydrated! I drink SO much water, but still feel like my throat is very dry. Plus, my skin on my face is super dry and flaky. These were some of the side effects that led to me quitting Spiro previously (I also felt lethargic and nauseas before...this time around I don't feel that way). It's hard to say about the hairgrowth. I *think* it may be decreasing, but who knows. My "facial hair" was always pretty mild, and I have fair hair, so it wasn't really noticeable. While I've always had skin on the dry side (never oily) I have noticed that my hair is less greasy. Before, if I didn't wash my hair everyday, it would look disgusting, flat, and oily at the roots. Now, I can go 2 days (if I'm feeling lazy!) and it looks normal. I haven't had a cyst in a really long time (knock on wood!), but I still get a few zits a week. I can't wait until I have flawless skin! I'm hoping by March it'll happen Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

Old 01-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #15
    hopetobeclear
    (female)

hopetobeclear HB User

okay, so I'm a little confused. What is the difference betweeen a "cyst" and a "zit"??? Also, does anyone know if Spiro causes scalp hair to fall out?--that would be awful...

Closed Thread