It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• accutane question plz help!! Fast!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
    jeffb89
    (male)

jeffb89 HB User
    Unhappy accutane question plz help!! Fast!!!

ok, i never thought it would come down to it, but NOTHING else has worked. Ive been on accutane for about 1.5 weeks now.the 1st couple days my face felt SO much better. Then by day 5, i began to develope HORRIBLE cystic acne. I called my derm and told her what was going on, and she said to cut back to one per day. The cysts lowered in numbers but still havent quit, and now ive begun to develope countless little whiteheads EVERYWHERE!. When i was takin 2 per day, i would be wonderful during the day, but a couple hours after i took my 2nd pill at night, literally , 3-7 cysts would pop up at once. I couldnt sleep at all. I understand that accutane pushes all of the infection out of your skin, and it flares up before it gets better, but these "welts" are almost unbarable!!!! They keep telling me to hang in there, and it will get better after a month, but like i said, it HURTS SO BAD, and im already on week 2 and its worse than ever!!!! is this not the cure for me? the dermo said it is 100% garunteed to treat my case of severe acne and she said she has treaded over 700 ppl with it, and they have all been cured. and only 2 out of the 700 have had any mild side effects. So, has anyone experienced these blood filled cysts?????? Is this an allergic reaction?? is it being cured by pushing everything to the surface?? should i hang in there? PLEASE COMMENT BACK ASAP. DERMO IS ON XMAS VACATION!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
    jeffb89
    (male)

jeffb89 HB User
    Re: accutane question plz help!! Fast!!!

by the way.. they have me taking the 40 mg of Claravis (cheap brand of accutane). and my dermo said to start off with 2 a day... which is scaring me.. ive read ppl's threads and they said they started off with 1 every OTHER day!! is this what is causing the cysts??!!!

Old 12-23-2006, 06:30 AM   #3
    jillr
    (female)

jillr HB User

Most people have an initial breakout from accutane, but yours sounds pretty bad. I just finished up a 6 mo. course of accutane. I was on 60mg. of Sotret(generic accutane) My derm put me on an antibiotic along with my first month so that my initial breakout wouldn't be too bad. And during my third month I had a second breakout and he put me on the antibiotic again. I honestly don't know why more derms don't prescribe the antibiotic to help with the flair ups. If your derm is away for 2 weeks, call your primary doctor...even though it's the weekend, someone should be covering. You shouldn't have to suffer like this...let us know how it goes. Good luck!!!

Old 12-23-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
    jeffb89
    (male)

jeffb89 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jillr
    Most people have an initial breakout from accutane, but yours sounds pretty bad. I just finished up a 6 mo. course of accutane. I was on 60mg. of Sotret(generic accutane) My derm put me on an antibiotic along with my first month so that my initial breakout wouldn't be too bad. And during my third month I had a second breakout and he put me on the antibiotic again. I honestly don't know why more derms don't prescribe the antibiotic to help with the flair ups. If your derm is away for 2 weeks, call your primary doctor...even though it's the weekend, someone should be covering. You shouldn't have to suffer like this...let us know how it goes. Good luck!!!
    thanks for the reply. again, woke up w/ more cysts . is this anti-biotic a safe combo w/ accutane? does it really help the flare ups? and what kind of anti biotic was it? please write bak ASAP!! THANK U!!

Old 12-23-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
    soulsatellites
    (male)

soulsatellites HB User

I used to have acne, though it wasn't as severe as you mentioned, but nonetheless it wouldn't clear up. I tried everything from prescribed tetracycline to proactive, to over the counter treatments. But it finally went away after my eating habits changed. My dermatologist said food had nothing to do with acne, but they're wrong. Food may not give you acne itself, but it will increase your oil production, which is what causes acne. Watch what you eat, don't drink as much pop or consume as much candy. Really sugary foods will increase your oil like crazy. Possibly fast for a few days and drink a lot of water. I also don't wash my face everyday - as weird as it seems it's helped. I wash my face about 2 times a week with Clinique Extra-Strength face wash, with the 3.5 Scruffing Lotion afterwards, and Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel.

I also noticed my acne started to clear up when I started smoking, it made my face not as oily. But, I wouldn't suggest it, lol.

Last edited by soulsatellites; 12-23-2006 at 03:31 PM.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #6
    jillr
    (female)

jillr HB User

It was ciprofloxacin and it is perfectly safe to use with accutane. It dramatically improved my initial breakout. Call your doctor and ask for it. I really hope things get better for you soon!!!

Old 12-23-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
    jeffb89
    (male)

jeffb89 HB User

thank you both for the help. as for the food; i havent had a cola beverage in over 2 years and i refuse to injest any sugar. i noticed it started to affect my acne about 2 years ago and have been terrified of eating normal ever since. although, obviouslly that isnt my major concern. i contacted the maker of the form of accutane im on, and they said my derm started me off on MORE than the maximum dosage for my weight!!! this is the cause of the welts!! and thank u for the reccomendation of the anti-biotic. i am definately contacting my dermo after the holidays to line up a perscription!

also, jillr (or other accutane users):
    did you have to go in for regular blood tests and checkups? i hear this is a crucial element while taking accutane. my dermo didnt say anything about it, but now im worried about her opinion all together, after she prescribed me more than the recommended dose for my weight!! plz reply soon, and thanks again!!!

Old 12-24-2006, 03:52 AM   #8
    thizzles
    (male)

thizzles HB User

hey jeff, i am actually on accutane right now. yes there are blood tests every month to check to make sure your liver is handlin the accutane well. as for her prescribing accutane and the weight issue , how much do u weigh? a lot of doctors just instantly put u on a high dose and yet others will start at a low dose. it just depends. also, some people are prescribed prednisone for the initial break out which it seems like you are having. the odds of a really bad initial breakout are not great but VERY possible. my guess is unfortinuatly u are one who got stuck with a bad IB. it will go away trust me. i am a little over 2 months in and my face has cleared a lot. it is worth it in the long run. trust me. but good luck and if you got more questions, dont hesitate to ask

Old 12-24-2006, 03:54 AM   #9
    TryToGetBetter
    (male)

TryToGetBetter HB User

yes, you have to go in to get your blood tested every month. well atleast that's what i had to do. it's mainly because of how strong accutane is, and how much it affects your liver. ask your dermatologist, or your GP.
    goodluck

Old 12-24-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
    greeneyedgirl18
    (female)

greeneyedgirl18 HB User

I was on accutane two years ago and I went for blood tests every month. In fact, there was a miscommunication between me and the nurse and I got my blood test done at the wrong time. During my next visit my dr. saw when I got the test done and he went on a long rant on how he could get sued b/c I didn't get the blood tests done at a certain time. I'm assuming it all had to do with possible liver damage, so it's shocking that your own dr. didn't even mention getting one.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:06 PM   #11
    jeffb89
    (male)

jeffb89 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greeneyedgirl18
    I was on accutane two years ago and I went for blood tests every month. In fact, there was a miscommunication between me and the nurse and I got my blood test done at the wrong time. During my next visit my dr. saw when I got the test done and he went on a long rant on how he could get sued b/c I didn't get the blood tests done at a certain time. I'm assuming it all had to do with possible liver damage, so it's shocking that your own dr. didn't even mention getting one.
    i know it surprised me too. infact i even asked her if i needed to have tests ran on me, and she said no. im now very concerned about my internal organs. for the past 2 days i have woke up DRENCHED with sweat, and with mild stomach cramps. they seem to go away once i get up and begin my day. maybe its just the flue.. HOPEFULLY!!

Old 12-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #12
    falcone
    (male)

falcone HB User

When on roaccutane i experienced bigger cysts than i had even had before - i think its really after month one or two they stop coming.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:48 AM   #13
    Mistyeyze
    (female)

Mistyeyze HB User

JeffB-

Try not to stress. My son went through exactly the same thing, he was also horrified, but trust me, it DOES get better... in fact, he has literally been 100% acne free going on six years now. He is 22. Yes, the first few months on accutane are not easy.... but it will be so worth it. You are on your way to being acne free... so just hang in there.
    By the way, accutane is not dangerous to males as any excess vitamin A is just excreted via urine-- it does not build up in the body and it won't hurt you. It is safe for women too EXCEPT in pregnancy-- that is a huge no-no as there is an extremely high chance the baby will have birth defects. However for males, other than some dry and sensitive skin as the oil glands change, you are not hurting your health.
    By the way, the thing that helped my son with the initial cysts after starting accutane was a dose of steroid. His derm gave him I think two injections during that initial phase to calm down the cystic flare.
    As a mom I felt compelled to write....
    It will get better..... MUCH better... my son has perfect skin... hang in there, better days are around the bend.

Misty

Old 12-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
    jeffb89
    (male)

jeffb89 HB User

Misty,

Thank you for the reply! I am inspired. Im so glad that im not the only one that experienced this!!! Ive been taking just 40 mgs (1pill) per day for the past 3 days, and putting aloe on my skin and its been an amazing improvement! i was sceptical about accutane at first, but i think i see clear skin on the way!!! THANK GOD!! haha. i dont think the steroid injections are necessary anymore, but if it flares up again i will definately consider it.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!

Jeff

Old 03-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #15
    blainew07
    (male)

blainew07 HB User

food has nothing to do with acne, Im sorry to break it to you,
    you probably got lucky and hit the end stage of your acne right at the same time you changed foods

Its been a proven fact with hundreds of hours of testing, along with the penuts and chocolate theory

Closed Thread

Tags
    cipro, ciprofloxacin