It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Bare Minerals?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
    krista39
    (female)

krista39 HB User
    Bare Minerals?

I recently just bought the Bare Minerals Makeup kit and I've been using it for a few days...and I was just wondering if anyone has tried and what they thought?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
    greeneyedgirl18
    (female)

greeneyedgirl18 HB User
    Re: Bare Minerals?

I used it while I was on Accutane and my face looked amazing. The mineral veil is great for covering up any oil you may have but other than that I wouldn't really recommend the products as far as them "helping" your skin. I have the blush that has the tiny sparkles in it, but if you have even the tinest bump on your skin it highlights it and makes it look even bigger. The eyeshadows aren't bad, but if you happen to have oily skin they disappear quick. I use MAC eye paint underneath and that way the shadow stays put all day.

I know people who swear by bare minerals, but it hasn't really worked wonders for me (at least in the way they show it on the commercial)!

Old 01-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
    wholegrain
    Veteran
    (female)

wholegrain HB User

My basic opinion on the Bare Minerals line is that it's only amazing on people who already have pretty good skin. It works wonders for covering up freckles, rosacea and other 2 dimensional problems. But I have raised bumps, scars, and scabs and it doesn't cover them worth a dime.

And as far as it being good for acne or not clogging pores, that isn't clinically proven. It may claim to not clog pores, but notice how none of their packaging or statements anywhere say that the makeup is non-comedogenic. The minerals do refresh the skin by moisturizing and rejuvenating it and you might notice you appear to "glow" more after wearing Bare Minerals, but it is *NOT* necessarily good for clearing up acne.

I went into a Bare Escentuals retail store to ask questions after noticing that it did indeed have some effect on my breakouts, and all the employees claimed that I must be "allergic" to it and that my pimples were actually "hives".

The supposed conveniance of applying the makeup is also something I don't really see. It is not necessarily easier to apply than liquid foundation, and forget about trying to do your makeup in your car, or refreshing it in a public or work bathroom. The powder gets everywhere and you have to carry the special brush with you, etc.

Now, that said, I do own the Bare Minerals foundation and I use it on occassion. I like the fresh, glowing look it gives me and how light it feels on. I alternate between it and MAC full coverage stuff, depending on the level of coverage I want for the day's events.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User

Hi,
    I just found your post and have to add my thoughts on Bare Minerals because I've been using it since Sept 06. First, my acne lifeline, if you will: I have had terrible, terrible skin since the 5th grade. Been on Accutane twice, minocycline, doxycycline, retin-A, benzaclin, bcp, every over the counter cream and treatment you can name. I still get breakouts, but nothing compared to before Accutane, thank goodness. Anyway, my skin gets really oily and makeup either slides off or looks cakey (from all the drying meds) and it all makes me break out.
    I currently only use Ortho-tri-cyclen and Benzaclin for my skin. This has been my regimen for about five years and like I said, I still break out, usually around my cycle, but the blemishes go away fast and don't leave those awful red marks behind like my old acne used to.
    I bought the bare minerals starter kit in Sept not knowing what to expect. I love this stuff. I now get an occassional pimple here and there,less even than I got before the makeup. I wear it all day and it looks the same morning till night, and it has not irritated my skin in any way. I actually get compliments on my skin now. Me, the person who has battled terrible acne since 5th grade!
    The makeup will NOT clear your skin up, but it will make it look great if you don't overdo it. A tiny bit is all you need. What has been amazing, however, is their night treatment called rare minerals. It's a powder, just like the makeup, so you go to bed looking great and this stuff really improves my skin. I'm 32 now and not only do I feel like my acne has improved with this, but I have less red splotchiness and ruddiness. I personally love it. However, having battled skin problems for so long and reading all of the "testimonials" of countless products only to try them myself and be heartbroken, I can only say it's worked great for me. I hope it will for you as well--good luck!

Old 01-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
    PrettyInPink978
    (female)

PrettyInPink978 HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Bare Minerals?

the stuff made me break out...it's NOT non-comedogenic, but maybe i overdid it or something, who knows

Old 01-08-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
    krista39
    (female)

krista39 HB User

Tirepoet...I'm glad that the makeup worked well for you! I've been using it for about a week now..and I do like it...it makes me feel better knowing its all minerals and not clumpy foundation...and it does feel better but I dunno how well it covers. If I get a pimple...I always pop it (bad I know) and it turn into a scab...and when the scab leaves there is always a darker spot there for a while...so my face around my cheeks have a few spots...and it seems to me that it doesnt cover up very well and I even put on the bisque concealer before...maybe I'm doing it wrong...and maybe my eyes are just playing games with me!! But I wanted to know..how well it covered you? Also I seen that you said you used a night treatment called rare minerals? What is that for and how do u like it? Also inmy kit they gave me lotion called "rever upper" to put on before mositurizer and makeup...did u get this? thank you!

Last edited by krista39; 01-08-2007 at 09:07 AM.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User

Hi there--
    I've never tried the Rever Upper stuff but I love my regular moisturizer and the idea of putting on a liquid "primer" made me a bit nervous because everything makes me break out. It covers me really well. In fact, for the first time in my entire life, I'm getting compliments on my skin. I use the well-rested eye powder as a concealer under the fairly light foundation (I'm pretty fair skinned) and it works wonders. I put the well-rested on with the smaller brush, then the fairly light and the mineral veil with the buki brush. I only use the tiniest little bit. In fact,on the brush, it hardly looks like enough to cover one spot, but it will cover your whole face. I found that the more i put on, the less it covered me up because it sort of just clumped and looked cakey. I also was very nervous about the warmth at first,but if you put a real tiny bit on the brush and then sweep it across your hand first, it will not be too dark on your face and if you have some scarring on your cheeks, this will help to cover up. (I've had scarring since I was 12, some of them are just fading now and I'm 32!)
    The rare minerals is something I read about on the bareminerals site when i ordered my starter kit. It's a powder and it looks just like the foundation, but you wear it at night. I'm positive it's clearing my skin up. I've been using it since I got it for Christmas. No new breakouts and my skin is much more even colored and smoother.
    Everyone's skin is different, but I've if you use just a minimal amount of this stuff it is wonderful for me.
    Hope this helps you! Good luck!

Old 01-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
    krista39
    (female)

krista39 HB User

Tiredpoet...
    What is rare minerals exactly? I mean is it for breakouts...or what is it supposed to do? Do you wash your face and put it on and then your topical creams or whatever?

Old 02-04-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
    caymanbabes
    (female)

caymanbabes HB User

I'd just like to add my experience with Bare Minerals. I'm not allergic or sensitive to anything, but when my face sweats and I'm wearing Bare Minerals, it itches like crazy! I mean, really unbearably so. I can wear it in cooler climates no problems, but here at home (Cayman) I can't wear it. I've been looking on the internet and I'm not alone in this - apparently its the "Bismuth Oxychloride" in it which can be quite irritating. I'm not alone in this reaction either. The Bismuth is a disappointing ingredient in a so-called "natural" product line.

So, after some more internet research I discovered Everyday Minerals ([url]www.everydayminerals.com[/url]) and I'm really pleased with it. It has less ingredients than Bare Minerals and I find the coverage is so much better. They are a great company - reply fast to emails and really listen to their customers. I use the "intensive" forumulation, and even though it has extra ingredients in (some sort of herbs I think) it doesn't make me break out at all - which is incredible since most things do. In fact I think its made my skin better, I break out much less when I'm wearing it every day. They have lots of different colours to try, and let you order a free sample kit with three colours in it. They also have great concealers and finishing powders. After years of trying so many different concealers/make up, its the one thing that works, and I highly recommend it. Its also cheaper than Bare Minerals, and they ship worldwide.

I do like the "skin revver upper" which came in the Bare Minerals kit though - I'm hoping they sell it separately in Sephora. That's until Everyday Minerals bring out their skincare line this year.. can't wait!

Good luck... hope it works for you!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
    Jennybug
    (female)

Jennybug HB User

Ok, I have to share here. I'm 56 years old and still have oil in my skin. I don't break out. Just FYI, I've used Bare Minerals for about 5 years and I can't tell you how many people have started using it because they love my look. The most popular comment is the "glow." People have asked me if I'm 40 yet. There is a trick to using it. First, use it very lightly and only build in areas that are difficult with a small brush. Always use the mineral veil first if your skin is oily and only after if it is dryer. I only use warmth in the summer and then lightly over the blush. In the winter I use one of the radiance colors over the blush lightly. That is the key to bare minerals useage. Start very light and learn to work with it. It's worth it. Good luck!!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #11
    desiii
    (female)

desiii HB User

I've been using it for just about a year, and I quite like it. It won't cure acne, but for me, it doesn't upset it either, and it doesn't make me break out, unlike so many of the other makeups out there. I agree, it does add a nice glow. I used it for my wedding makeup and the pictures came out incredible.

Closed Thread