It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Acne cure for the needy!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2007, 04:31 AM   #1
    GjecKo
    (male)

GjecKo HB User
    Question Acne cure for the needy!

How do can I still cure acne even though I dont have enough money to buy stuff?

I wanna know the cheap yet effective natural cures for acne (im scared of side effects)

by the way, new member and nice forum!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
    lindamh
    Inactive

lindamh HB User
    Re: Acne cure for the needy!

Well, diet is the cheapest. Cut out sugars and simple carbs.

Then there's readily available and cheap supplements like Zinc and saw palmetto.

And the aspirin mask. Dissolve plain uncoated store brand aspirin in a little water and apply to your face. Let dry and wash off or use as a scrub. It's salicylic acid.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
    Alagaesia
    Veteran
    (female)

Alagaesia HB User

Well if you only have a few zits then you can dab one drop of tea tree oil on them. If you have a face full of acne then you can try a supplement called evening primrose oil. Do not take this is you're on seizure medication or if you occasionally experience seizures. You can also try vitamin e.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User

Generic 5% benzoyl peroxide gel, applied to the skin at bedtime, after washing with plain soap and warm water. (costs about $2 per ounce)

Neutrogena Acne Treatment Multi-Vitamin Moisturiser applied to the skin in the morning, after washing with plain soap and water. (Costs about $7 for a bottle, which will last a couple of months)

This should greatly improve acne within 2 weeks.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #5
    mommaoftwinsplus1
    Veteran
    (female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

I use spironolactone. I have tried everything. Including expensive treatments. Spiro is a pill you take once daily. You need to get a prescription for it. My co pay is $15 a month and well worth it. I have no side effects from this med. All I do now is wash morning and evening with dove bar soap and apply vaseline under my eyes at night. My skin has never been so clear. All I have is just some minor scarring from previous breakouts. I found my cure....by the way I am on 100mg once a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:16 AM   #6
    Barry876
    Inactive
    (male)

Barry876 HB User

First, if your acne is really bad or severe.
    You got to use an antibiotic.
    The best one I'v tried for acne is Doxycycline.

If your acne is moderate.
    I like the Olay Regenerist Daily Regenerating Cleanser.
    This cleanser uses Oxygenated Amino-peptide, plus oxygenated derma-beads to gently removes dead skin surface cells to detoxify.
    It regenerates skin's surface at the cellular level.
    Its got nice ingredients.
    Beta Hydroxy, vitamin C, E, B5, Amino Peptide.

I also like the Juice Organics Nourishing Cleanser
    They sell this in CVS.
    This soap-free cleanser is made with organic juices and antioxidant vitamins to nourish and revitalize skin cells.
    It uses Grape Seed, Aloe, Chamomilla, Sunflower seed, Apple, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, B5, Citrus.
    Leave it on for a minute then wash off.

For a toner, I like the EARTH SCIENCE Aloe Vera Complexion Toner.
    They sell this in Whole Foods.
    Its an all natural alcohol-free toner.
    It uses good ingredients and feels great on my face.
    It uses Aloe, Sea Kelp, Chamomile Extract, Grapefruit, Vitamin A, Calendula Extract, Zinc Sulfate.
    Leave it on and dont wash off.

2 lotions I recommend for acne on the face and redmarks.
    One is the Neutrogena Multi Vitamin acne treatment.
    Unfortunately, Neutrogena stopped making this.
    They were so stupid for doing this.
    This was a great product.
    It helped bring down the acne without creating marks or little scars.
    It used nice incredients.
    1.5% Salicylic Acid, Grape Seed, Kiwi, Honey extract, Oatmeal, Glycolic acid,
    Vitamin A, E and B5
    You can still get it.
    Some stores still have it and you will see lots of them on e bay.

I also recommend this new product.
    Its called Wet and Wild Spot Treatment.
    Dont be fooled by the name.
    This is a great lotion for getting rid of acne and redmarks.
    It uses top of the line incredients.
    It uses 2% Salicylic Acid, Green Tea, Aloe, Nobilis Flower, Tee Tree Leaf Oil,
    Cucumber, Algae Extract, Licorice Root and Witch hazel.
    They sell this in Walgreens and Rite Aid.

Dont use these lotions at the same time.
    Try each one and see which one works best for you

Last edited by Barry876; 01-08-2007 at 01:18 AM.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
    koyla86
    Inactive
    (male)

koyla86 HB User

No money - free cure just by breathing. Start straight away and you will see the skin improve. Report back after 3 days and then when you see improvement.
    Do the following breathing exercises known as Yoga Pranayam.
    Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose.For one minute, 5 to 9 times a day whenever you remember.

Anulom Vilom - Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
    then - Breath-out through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
    then -Deep Breath-in through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
    then - Breath-out through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
    and repeat this cycle for upto 15 minutes. Maximum 3 times day.

Tips : Breathe into lungs not into stomach. Do not hurry. Do it slowly. Rest whenever needed (in any pranayam).Can be done in sitting position, standing or lying in bed(if bed-bound).Keep tissues handy, as a lot of mucous from lungs will be coming through the nose. Do the pranayam before eating.
    Press hard with thumb the middle of your palm of each hand 9 times after each pranayam session.Avoid fizzy drinks and drink plenty of water.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
    Elaine55
    (female)

Elaine55 HB User

GjecKo,
    I'll assume that you are not pregnant, lactating or in gestation or pre-teen.
    My first advise would be to stop using iodine supplements (i.e. iodized salt, multi-vitamins, etc.) and gold-colored soaps.
    I am a true believer that iodine is a big factor in causing acne. I know it's what triggers mine.
    If you are concerned about your thyroid, discuss this with your doctor.

Dr. Elson M. Haas writes that only 50-75mcg is needed to prevent goiter while the RDA is 150mcg and iodized salt contains about 76mcg/gram and the average person eats more than 3 grams per day. He also writes that it would take several months of iodine deficiency to result in goiter or hypothyroidism.
    I noticed that you live in CA which is not in the "goiter belt" and from what I have read you may be getting enough iodine from the ocean air.

Also, if you do a search here on HealthBoards for "iodine acne" you'll find others that concur.

These are my opinions and I ask you to please treat it as such.

Elaine

Last edited by Elaine55; 01-11-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:20 PM   #9
    cuddledumplin
    Veteran
    (female)

cuddledumplin HB User

I concur with the tea tree oil and the aspirin mask. You might also try Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque. Many people think that drinking lots of water helps with acne, so you might want to try that. (I find that it helps, but I still get occasional pimples). There are probably too many tips that don't coast a lot on here for me to list, so just surf around for a bit, and see what you find.

Welcome to the boards.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #10
    scoligirl
    (female)

scoligirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lindam View Post
    Well, diet is the cheapest. Cut out sugars and simple carbs.
    As nice as that sounds, as well as all of the hype, sugars do not actually cause you to break out. Like the myth that eating chocolate cause acne. I asked a nutritionist about the adverse affects of sugary foods and the skin. Clinical studies have shown that eating for example chocolate has no affect on how much you break out. There are some suspicions that eating fatty foods will cause you to break out only because your body has been overloaded with fat and needs a way to get rid of it quick. So it secretes that fat out through your pores, causing possibly causing acne. But that is only suspected in people who have EXTREMELY fatty diets. We think that the reason why people think sugary foods cause acne is because we tend to eat them more when we are stressed out, and stress causes breakouts.

And don't be afraid to try generic brands! Many times generic stuff is actually made in the same factory, it just has a different lable on it. Like at Wal-Mart, instead of buying an astringent by Clean-and-Clear, buy the same stuff in the Equate brand. It's like over a buck cheaper.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #11
    lindamh
    Inactive

lindamh HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scoligirl View Post
    As nice as that sounds, as well as all of the hype, sugars do not actually cause you to break out. Like the myth that eating chocolate cause acne.
    Sugar/glucose/insulin can cause acne in so many ways. From stimulating the hormones that stimulate oil production to causing inflammation to overloading the liver to feeding bacteria and candida.

This is why there have been so many people posting how their skin was cleared by diets such as atkins and other low carb diets or their own custom plans which eliminated both simple sugars and whatever food intolerences they might have. And are never heard from here again because their skin is clear. I'm still here because I read several other boards. And my skin is 100% clear, for the first time in 30 years, from low sugar, more fiber and protein diet and a few supplements.

It's not a myth. And it's not just sugars. Many people can have a problem processing hydrogenated or trans fats, grains and other inflammatory foods, gluten etc. Do a search. I've just been reading through some old threads and so wish I could respond to the discussions to thank those people. But they are a year or more old and they aren't around now.

None of the prescriptions or topicals ever prescribed to me ever caused any noticable improvement. And those include all kinds of antibiotics and 2 courses of accutane.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:46 PM   #12
    stojack
    Inactive
    (female)

stojack HB User

Thanks lindam, i'm so tired of trying to dispel the myths. The funny thing is the myth truly is that diet doesn't impact acne. You and I both know that study done in the 60's on chocolate and acne was completely flawed, both bars had the same sugar content, they were testing the cocoa. I can eat chocolate, it just has to be 85% cocoa, low sugar. The Dr. that performed the study recently admitted to Cordain in an interview that he had to agree with his science on blood sugar/insulin response and that his team missed the mark.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
    Alagaesia
    Veteran
    (female)

Alagaesia HB User

I don't believe the whole chocolate thing is a myth. I rarely eat chocolate but when I do I always get bad acne.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #14
    scoligirl
    (female)

scoligirl HB User

I can't eat sugar because I am hypoglycemic and I still have acne. It's not that bad anymore, but only because I stick to my regimen.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #15
    almostclear7
    (male)

almostclear7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lindam View Post
    Sugar/glucose/insulin can cause acne in so many ways. From stimulating the hormones that stimulate oil production to causing inflammation to overloading the liver to feeding bacteria and candida.

This is why there have been so many people posting how their skin was cleared by diets such as atkins and other low carb diets or their own custom plans which eliminated both simple sugars and whatever food intolerences they might have. And are never heard from here again because their skin is clear. I'm still here because I read several other boards. And my skin is 100% clear, for the first time in 30 years, from low sugar, more fiber and protein diet and a few supplements.

It's not a myth. And it's not just sugars. Many people can have a problem processing hydrogenated or trans fats, grains and other inflammatory foods, gluten etc. Do a search. I've just been reading through some old threads and so wish I could respond to the discussions to thank those people. But they are a year or more old and they aren't around now.

None of the prescriptions or topicals ever prescribed to me ever caused any noticable improvement. And those include all kinds of antibiotics and 2 courses of accutane.
    I just wanted to say one thing and that is I really wish antibiotics were not prescribed for acne anymore. It just really is not a long term solution at all and has potentially more risks than any kind of reward. After a while it just seems like antibiotics will hurt you more than help.

Closed Thread