It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Been there, done that: topicals/Dianne35/Proactive what now?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2007, 04:27 AM   #1
    boozle
    (female)

boozle HB User
    Lightbulb Been there, done that: topicals/Dianne35/Proactive what now?

Hi,
    Just wondering if anybody can offer any advice..
    My acne is mild to moderate and all around my chin area. I started when I was 18. At 19 I finally got the confidence to see my doc. I was prescribed Clynamin Phosphate (topical antibiotic) which really helped. My skin was still oily and I was still prone to the occasional break-out. So I went back and begged for Diannette (Dianne35). I got it and my skin was less oily, so it did help a little.

So now I was on topical lotion + Dianne35. However, docs don't prescribe the drug for long since it has some bad side effects (none of which I experienced). So I was soon weaned off it, my skin became fairly oily, but with my topical lotion and newly bought Proactive kit, I experienced fairly clear skin for months.

Then I stopped using the topical antibiotic lotion, because without Proactive I broke out, so I figured after years of use I'd become immune to the antibiotics.

So I lived happily ever after just using Proactiv 3 steps, for about 4 months my skin was 95% clear. Until recently, when I have started to break out with one sore-hard nodule after another.. They are ugly and painful (y'all know what I mean) And each one lasts for about a week, just as it heals I feel another sore one somewhere else protruding through.

So, I was wondering what to do next. I don't think I'm extreme enough for Accutane (so, i guess I could be considered lucky). And I don't really want to go back on Dianette, since it would be a short-term fix, if it even worked.
    Could it be possible that I have become immune to Proactive? I thought that was impossible with BP?

So what do you suggest? A higher BP concentrate? A different birth control pill? Going back on topical antibiotics? Or is there something I haven't tried yet?

Thanks for listening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 06:00 AM   #2
    ndp
    (female)

ndp HB User
    Question which pill after dianette !

i have similar questions........
    i have been twice on antibiotics + twice on roaccutane + used several lotions etc... now i am coming from dianette after using for one year!
    each of the treatments worked at their time but soon after the acne started again- i was told its a hormonal problem specially the break outs are more prominent before the periods...
    i was also advised to search for the right birth control pill as all the above mentioned treatments cannot be taken for too long.
    any recommendation on which contraception to use in the long term with limited risk???
    cheers

Old 01-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
    babygurl77
    (female)

babygurl77 HB User
    Re: Been there, done that: topicals/Dianne35/Proactive what now?

hey....ive been on diane 35 for a year now
    i also took accutane...
    my skin wasn't awful...but i had the same thing...hard nodular cysts only on my chin..what i am wondering is why you guys have said that diane 35 cannot be used long term
    i know someone who has been on it for 5 years...
    and i just saw a gyno and he didnt mention anything about it
    im worried now

Old 01-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
    lindamh
    Inactive

lindamh HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boozle View Post
    Hi,

So I lived happily ever after just using Proactiv 3 steps, for about 4 months my skin was 95% clear. Until recently, when I have started to break out with one sore-hard nodule after another.. They are ugly and painful (y'all know what I mean) And each one lasts for about a week, just as it heals I feel another sore one somewhere else protruding through.
    Just in case it helps...

I used to get horrible cysts like these and they were caused entirely by a food allergy/intolerance to oranges and too much of some other fruits. I figured out the orange thing years ago from a coworker who had the same issue, but otherwise had perfect skin. While I still had other kinds of acne going on. I quit eating oranges 15 years ago and drastically improved my skin. I was recently tested for common allergies and discovered I am mildly allergic to them.

A few other people here have noticed a reaction to oranges. And it is a common allergy.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
    boozle
    (female)

boozle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by babygurl77 View Post
    i am wondering is why you guys have said that diane 35 cannot be used long term
    i know someone who has been on it for 5 years...
    and i just saw a gyno and he didnt mention anything about it
    im worried now
    babygurl77, Diane 35 (or Dianette in UK) is associated with very slightly elivated risks of breast cancer and blood clots. If you're young and dont smoke, then the risks are tiny, but Doctors I know are funny about long-term (4 years+) prescription.

Closed Thread