It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• OMG i just dicovered Omega-3 fish oil!!!, the best thing since sliced bread!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #16
    Divation
    Veteran
    (female)

Divation HB User
    Re: OMG i just dicovered Omega-3 fish oil!!!, the best thing since sliced bread!!!

I too have just started taking them about 2 weeks ago and have noticed an improvement in my skin as well. I definitely have less breakouts and when I do breakout, they seem to be gone in 1 or 2 days. I also stopped using alot of my face products as well. I only wash my face with water, maybe soap sometimes and use those makeup remover cloths from Equate on my face. And then I moisturize with vitamin E lotion. Maybe less truly is more?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #17
    Zitful Delight
    (male)

Zitful Delight HB User
    Re: OMG i just dicovered Omega-3 fish oil!!!, the best thing since sliced bread!!!

wow, my dad always offers me fish oil when he's taking his daily pills and i've always rejected him (i thought it would make my breath stink or something) lol...i guess i'll start taking them and update you if it worked or not, thanks a bunch. oh ya but does it have to be omega-3? i havent checked but i dont think my father has that, he has some big ones thoguh....as long as its fish oil right?

Old 03-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #18
    meruru
    (female)

meruru HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Junior77 View Post
    So will taking this take care of my acne on my jawline? I would really like that. And also does it really take care of oily skin too?
    I think like any type of treatment or vitamin for acne, it probably has different effects on different people. One of the other positive effects is that it is a blood thinner (prevents heart attacks), but that also means you shouldn't take if you are going to have a surgery soon. And for females it probably shouldn't be taken when its "that time of the month". Anyways, the bottle has a list of warnings on it that you can read before you purchase it. FYI, I use nordic naturals omega-3 purified fish oil.

So, it can't hurt to try it for a few weeks and see if it works for you .

Its been three weeks now since I started taking Omega-3 and my skin has continued to improve even more. My boyfriend commented last night that my skin doesn't look red and irritated anymore. I did some quick research and found that Omega-3 is also an anti-inflammatory.

I have no idea why my derm didn't suggest this to me! Instead she prescribed Zinc supplements which is an anti-inflammatory and those gave me a stomache ache.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #19
    Junior77
    Veteran
    (male)

Junior77 HB User

jeez it took care of the redness too? That makes me sad BECAUSE i'm on psych meds and I asked my psychiatrist if I could take omega3 supplements and her answer was no. I'd be killing three birds with one stone if I could take this supplement and if it works for me. But thanks for letting me know.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #20
    LeighJ
    Inactive
    (female)

LeighJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by XBOX4EVR View Post
    I notice sam's club sales it, what kind and how much do you take?
    I actually purchased mine at Sam's. It was just around $9 for 400 softgels. It is called Omega 3 Fish Oil by Member's Mark. I actually have just had it sitting in the cabinet. I bought it on a whim after someone had mentioned it was good for heart health and it had just been sitting in the closet ever since. Now that I hear that it can be good for skin, I think I may start taking it.

Anyway, on the bottle it says to take one softgell 3 times a day....seems like a lot to me.

Contains:
    1000 mg Natural Fish Oil Concentrate
    EPA 180 mg
    DHA 120 mg

Old 03-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #21
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Junior77 View Post
    jeez it took care of the redness too? That makes me sad BECAUSE i'm on psych meds and I asked my psychiatrist if I could take omega3 supplements and her answer was no. I'd be killing three birds with one stone if I could take this supplement and if it works for me. But thanks for letting me know.
    Junior77 - I have a friend on antidepressants, if thats the same as what your on, and she takes fish oil supplements every day. And if I remember her correctly I think she was actually told by her counselor or whichever she goes to about fish oil. If thats the case with you then your doctor shouldve also told you to not eat salmon, apparently sardines, etc., which is a huge source of omg3 fish oil. I would get a second or 3rd opinion on whether you could take it or not, like a regular general practitioner or another psychiatrist.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #22
    Junior77
    Veteran
    (male)

Junior77 HB User

I forgot the reason why she said no but I'll ask her next time. But... she did say I could eat salmon etc. Because it is high omega 3 in it. But the only thing that worries me is the mercury in the fish. I read somewhere that too much mercury can be bad for the brain. Does salmon have a lot of mercury in it?

Old 03-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #23
    Abbath
    (male)

Abbath HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meruru View Post
    I think like any type of treatment or vitamin for acne, it probably has different effects on different people. One of the other positive effects is that it is a blood thinner (prevents heart attacks), but that also means you shouldn't take if you are going to have a surgery soon. And for females it probably shouldn't be taken when its "that time of the month". Anyways, the bottle has a list of warnings on it that you can read before you purchase it. FYI, I use nordic naturals omega-3 purified fish oil.

So, it can't hurt to try it for a few weeks and see if it works for you .

Its been three weeks now since I started taking Omega-3 and my skin has continued to improve even more. My boyfriend commented last night that my skin doesn't look red and irritated anymore. I did some quick research and found that Omega-3 is also an anti-inflammatory.

I have no idea why my derm didn't suggest this to me! Instead she prescribed Zinc supplements which is an anti-inflammatory and those gave me a stomache ache.
    Zinc, huh? Well, I started taking zinc as well, and it's one of the only things in the past 10 years that's made a HUGE improvement for me. I just started taking the fish oil with the zinc and things are looks great so far.

Just make sure you take the zinc only after eating a decent sized meal, or they'll make you feel like total hell.

If I don't take them with food, I'll have this spell where I'll feel like I'm about to puke if I don't lie down, and I have to stay very still until the feeling passes. It only lasts about 1 or 2 minutes.

So, yeah... take them with food.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #24
    pa43
    (female)

pa43 HB User
    body acne?

How does fish oil treat body acne, or does it help with facial acne only? I have some pimples on my back and alot on my buttocks.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #25
    arsalan88
    (male)

arsalan88 HB User

How many times a day and when do you guys take your omega-3 fish oils? Does it heal current pimples?

Old 03-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #26
    sbu91
    (female)

sbu91 HB User

I too have started taking the Omega-3 fish oil. I asked my doctor if it was a good thing to take (I didn't tell him I was trying to cure my acne. Just asked if it was good for overall health). He said it is good and recommended 3000mg a day, so basically if the pills are 1000mg each, you'll have to take 3 each day. He also said I'd need to take 400mg of magnesium for maximum benefits (I don't remember the reason why). The magnesium pills I found have a serving size of 3 pills to make up 400mg, so I take one three times a day along with the fish oil pill.

I started out with just one dose of each pill a day, just to see, and so far I haven't had great results. It's almost as if my face if breaking out more! Maybe just a coincidence or that time of the month coming, but I was hoping for better results. But, I'll keep with it and increase the dosage and see what happens.

Just curious - has anyone noticed any gastrointestinal problems while taking the fish oil? I feel kind of bloated and gassy a few hours after taking the pills. Or maybe it's the magnesium.... Hard to tell. I take both pills after eating, as it suggests on the bottle.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #27
    Peaches26
    (female)

Peaches26 HB User

Maybe the magnesium is breaking you out?

Old 03-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #28
    arsalan88
    (male)

arsalan88 HB User

I have just started taking omega-3 also and I have gotten like 5 pimples then since taking that. I know its from the omega 3 becuase my skin was clear for 2 weeks after getting rid of my pimples and then I decided to take omega 3 becuase I read on this board that it controls oil and really make the skin look fresh. Are you suppose to have an initial breakout after taking the omega 3.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #29
    Peaches26
    (female)

Peaches26 HB User

It's possible I guess. Maybe your skin is just purging...I would give it a few weeks...there shouldn't be anything in there that would cause continual breakouts. Plus the health benefits are great.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #30
    metallys
    (female)

metallys HB User
    Thumbs up Re: OMG i just dicovered Omega-3 fish oil!!!, the best thing since sliced bread!!!

Fish Oil is awesome. I take Extra Strength by Spring Valley. Some people experience "fish burps" when taking the oil but this can be avoided by buying pills that are enteric coated which allows it to reach & dissolve in the intestines instead of the stomach.

It's inexpensive and available just about everywhere, I would recommend everyone give it a try - the health benefits alone are worth it.
    Everyone I know who takes it as well as myself have had no adverse reaction to it at all. I take it with my normal bottle of water 2x a day (1700 mg each serving)
    Give it a shot, what do you have to lose?

Closed Thread