It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• How do you know when you no longer need topicals?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
    Sue21
    (female)

Sue21 HB User
    How do you know when you no longer need topicals?

Hi all,

I had moderate to severe stubborn acne since age 13. I am now 20. I struggled for years because my derm was vehemently opposed to antibiotics for acne because it was too "dangerous" to be on them long-term. But, he would give Accutane with no consideration of its side effects. Never an option for me. I digress...

Two years ago I found a wonderful derm. I began using a 9% BP two times a day and Tazorac at night (I was on Differin for many years and it did nothing). And I discovered minocycline! I took it for two years and weaned myself off it very slowly. I am now completely off it for two months. Success!

I still use Tazorac every night. I also use the BP most nights (I'd say about 4 nights a week and never in the morning.) I recently started using the asprin mask occasionally because I love how smooth it makes my skin. It also controls my excess oil.

I used to use the topicals all over my face. For the past year I only put in on my cheeks because that's where I get pimples. I always break out on the same areas--never on my nose, forehead, nor chin.

So I have cut down on my topical use (area on face and times per week).

I contribute my better acne to my long-term minocycline treatment which I believe altered something permanently in my body even though I no longer take it. Also, just getting older. I'm 20 and no longer a victim to teenage breakouts.

Here's my question.........(Sorry for the long acne biography...hahaha)

How do you know when or if you should wean off topicals? Anyone done it? Or cut down on your use? Been able to switch to just OTC BP?

Thanks in advance!

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
    Barry876
    Inactive
    (male)

Barry876 HB User
    Re: How do you know when you no longer need topicals?

Very easy, when your acne is gone.
    Dont use the meds and BP topicals.
    Minocycline is very good.
    I use Doxycycline which is made by the same company.
    The Doxy did wonders for clearing my acne.

I did get redmarks when the acne went away.
    I used the Juice Organics Cleanser.
    This is a great cleanser.
    It feels really nice on the face and uses the best ingredients.
    This soap-free cleanser is made with organic juices and antioxidant vitamins to nourish and revitalize skin cells.
    It uses Grape Seed, Aloe, Chamomilla, Sunflower seed, Apple, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, B5, Citrus and Hyaluronic Acid,

Organics Avalon Toner and Neutrogena multi-vitamin acne treatment to get rid of the redmarks.

Closed Thread