It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Spiro and Potassium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
    ween
    (female)

ween HB User
    Spiro and Potassium

My doctor wouldn't prescribe my daughter spiro because she said it increases your potassium level too much. She is all ready on the Yaz which my doctor said also increases potassium levels. Anyone know anything about this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User
    Re: Spiro and Potassium

One of the biggest hurdles to getting spiro prescribed is finding a sympathetic doctor. As a mom, I spent lots of time and money to get to that point. I wanted her to try spiro a couple of years ago but got talked out of it by a nurse practitioner who told me how dangerous that would be. So my daughter took accutane instead with very poor results. I would recommend you buy Dr. Geoffrey Redmond's book "The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman". It has lots of good info in it about spiro, hormone issues, potassium issues and, of course, acne. I considered flying out to New York City with my daughter to visit him at one point. They told me it would only take one visit. Fortunately, our own HMO derm prescribed it with no hesitation. She takes Yasmin and 50 mgs. spiro and other than being thirsty and more tired than usual, she is fine. The doctor has advised against exercising heavily during very hot or humid weather. He said she could pass out under those circumstances. She gets her potassium levels checked periodically and all is well and normal. I wish she could be off of drugs altogether but that does not seem possible at this point in her life. In the meantime, her skin is clear and smooth and she seems happy and content with her results and able to concentrate on college life.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:17 AM   #3
    ween
    (female)

ween HB User

Thanks so much, skimom. I will buy his book as I truly believe my daughter's acne is hormonally induced. The Yaz seems to be clearing it up. We are at the two month mark and it has made a difference, but she still has some small break outs.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ween View Post
    Thanks so much, skimom. I will buy his book as I truly believe my daughter's acne is hormonally induced. The Yaz seems to be clearing it up. We are at the two month mark and it has made a difference, but she still has some small break outs.

I suppose it is possible that she could clear in 6 months just with the Yaz. That would be good. Maybe she won't even need the spiro if you are seeing good results at 2 mos. I had to order the book from the bookstore. You can also find it on-line.

Closed Thread