It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Accutane: Brand Version vs Generic Type?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2007, 02:20 AM   #1
    tata77
    (male)

tata77 HB User
    Accutane: Brand Version vs Generic Type?

Hi everyone. I am about to go on my accutane journey and I would like to know about the the accutane products available. I know that there are generic brands of accutane out there that some doctors may suggest because of money issues. My question is this: is there any difference between the generic brand and the authentic name brand? i know that if they are the same, then of course i would want to save money. but i definately will NOT try to save some money for a product that gives me less results or is more dangerous in any way. I hope you guys can help me. Thank you!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
    jillr
    (female)

jillr HB User
    Re: Accutane: Brand Version vs Generic Type?

they're all the same. i was on Sotret, which is a generic accutane, and it cleared me right up.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
    tata77
    (male)

tata77 HB User

oooh i see. thank you! any one else have any inputs?

Old 02-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
    Pilky
    (male)

Pilky HB User

I think your doctor will be able to answer this best, unless of course someone here has tried both versions.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
    LeighJ
    Inactive
    (female)

LeighJ HB User

I have tried both name brand and generic. For many medications, I would tell you the generic is as good as the name brand, however, for me that was not the case with Accutane.

I took Accutane a # of years ago (probably around 8-10 years ago). I loved it. I was one of those people that did not have a single bad side effect from it. My skin also stayed clear for quite some time after going off of it and I really didn't have to go on any other medications for a long while.

However, over time, I started seeing my skin act up again. I tried some of the other medications but about a year ago I asked to go on Accutane again. This time around I was given the generic version called Sotret. It did clear up my skin, although I think it took a lot longer to see results. With the Sotret, while I again did not really have any bad side effects, I did experience severe dry lips (to the point where they were bleeding) after being on it the first month. That was the case until I was finished with the cycle. I pretty much carried Carmex with me 24-7 and was constantly putting it on to no avail. Also, I feel like my skin did not really stay clear for very long after going off of it.

Now, part of that could be due to the fact that I don't think acne medications tend to be as effective the 2nd time around, even years later. The doctor even told me as much. However, if I was to be given the choice again, I would definitely spend the little extra and go w/the brand name. Also, with the Sotret, while it was the same total dosage as when I was on the Accutane, my prescription was written for 2 pills a day. I much preferred taking it the once with the Accutane and getting it out of the way, Much less opportunity to forget taking that second pill.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Last edited by LeighJ; 03-13-2007 at 08:33 PM.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
    tata77
    (male)

tata77 HB User

wooow thank you so much for that post. it was very informative. i will definately look into trying to get the Accutane brand name. I hope I get the same positive results as you. Any other inputs people??

Old 03-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
    3ex
    (male)

3ex HB User

I took the real deal Accutane--$$$--a few years ago, when no generic was available. I am considering going on another "cycle" of it, and was glad to hear a generic was out. From the prices I saw, it was still expensive for the generic, though a little cheaper. So, with little price difference, I will likely take the brand name. I dont want to have any regrets later if the Generic brand failed--know what I mean? I would only take the generic brand if I TRUELY couldnt afford the real Accutane.

Closed Thread