It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Mild/Moderate acne that won't leave-- I've tried a lot.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
    Versci
    (female)

Versci HB User
    Mild/Moderate acne that won't leave-- I've tried a lot.

For about 5 years now, I've had mild to moderate acne-- mostly on the chin area. But, I have bad skin in general. It's very dry, with blackheads on my nose that never go away. And scars of course.. It looks terrible.
    I haven't tried any medication, but I have tried:
    -Proactiv (did nothing)
    -Regular face cleansers; both benzoyl peroxide and sacylic acid
    -Sea salt (This seems to work wonderfully for many. But for me? Nope. I'd use a mixture of celtic sea salt and water in a jar, and shake it up and spread it on my face using a cotton ball at night.)
    -Aspirin masks
    -Various detox stuff, including a colon cleanse once
    -Plain water
    -Steaming
    -Not touching my face, at all-- and I rarely wear makeup
    -Things like lemon and tea tree oil.
    -Chlorella supplements (just started it today)

None of it's worked, at all. The sea salt seemed to take the edge off it for a bit, but not much else. No one else in my family has had acne (except for maybe for a few normal, mild breakouts as teens).
    My diet is fairly healthy.. I've wondered if maybe I had a food allergy, like dairy for instance. But I don't consume much dairy anyway.

I'm exasperated. This has completely killed my self esteem. I don't have cysts or anything-- just your standard red bumps (rarely poppable), and of course black heads and other imperfections. I have no idea what to do.. And it's only been getting worse.
    My current regime: washing with St Ive's apricot scrub in the morning, rinsing my face in the afternoon, then using a generic face wash (with either benzoyl peroxide or sacylic acid) at night, followed by sea salt. None of it works.

And I realize others have it worse, but.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Versci; 02-27-2007 at 07:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
    try-ink
    Veteran
    (female)

try-ink HB User
    Re: Mild/Moderate acne that won't leave-- I've tried a lot.

Sorry to hear..........

I was very surprise to hear that "proactive 3-step cleansers" are not working for you.

For me..., at first I didn't see any results. But, since I already bought the darn thing, I can't throw it away.

Started seeing results in 4 weeks. Been using it ever since. I've can honestly say...it really has made a difference in my skin. The only down side of this product for me is.......if I skip a day or two.....I start to break-out. (weird)
    and it can get pretty expensive.

I know how you feel....and it is also frustrating as well..when nothing works. But.....There are others products out there........I am sure you'll soon discover one.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
    Alagaesia
    Veteran
    (female)

Alagaesia HB User

Have you tried fish oil or flax oil at all? You may want to try scrubbing your face with something. A few years ago I just used liquid facial cleansers but that didn't do anything for me. I tried the oil of olay daily facial cleansing cloths and those worked like a charm. I think I just needed something that scrubbed my face really well which is what the cloths do.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:57 AM   #4
    cuddledumplin
    Veteran
    (female)

cuddledumplin HB User

I think I'd go see a dermatologist. You might need something stronger than over the counter stuff, or it could even be an endocrine disorder.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
    Jasminda
    (female)

Jasminda HB User

Your skin sounds exactly like mine! I havent found anything that works either. Let me know if you do. Try not to let it get you down!

Old 02-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
    Nici11
    (female)

Nici11 HB User

Hmm...
    Proactive never worked for me either, it only made my skin worse, and I used it for over a month. I've also tired all kinds of things.. that have never worked, including going to a derm. I'm hoping to get on spiro soon though.
    You said you used st. ives apricot scrub. 1) using a scrub everyday can really irriate your skin and make it worse. I would suggest only doing it 2-3 times a week. 2) the st. ives apricot products have oil in them, which is why i had to stop using it when i did years ago. there are some oils that are good for your skin however, and i don't remember what oil/s are in it. although, im still batteling...

Old 02-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
    Katy5
    (female)

Katy5 HB User

That sounds like what my skin used to be like. It cleared up when I went on birth control. It was the only thing that made me clear, and has kept me clear. (Now if only these scars would fill in!!! )

The first month I was on them I had the worst breakout of my life, it was sooo horrible. But then every month it got better, and then by about the 4th month it started working great. Now I can wear any kind of makeup, eat what I want and I stay clear about 98% of the time.

Just something you may want to look into.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #8
    Versci
    (female)

Versci HB User

Thanks for the replies everyone

I should definitely see a dermatologist, so I'll try to get to that soon.
    And I've heard that birth control can get rid of acne in some.. If I decided to try that, would my doctor prescribe it despite me not being sexually active? Also, are there lots of side effects, such as weight gain? (I'll be looking it up as well, though.) And it would be great if it worked, but 4 months sounds like a long time to wait if I'm not even sure if it would work.

As for apricot's scrub.. Well, I haven't used that long term. I've used it consistently in the past and it's been fine; I tend to rotate my face cleansers, even though none of them have helped to begin with. Next I'll try the oil of olay daily facial cleansing cloths.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User

How long did you try the water only regime? Have you tried washing with a gentle cleanser like cetaphil or purpose or even aveeno once a day. I noticed with my skin that it seemed to be more clear if I left it alone and didnt wash it too much, which apparently twice a day is even too much no matter how gentle of a cleanser I used. Then moisturize with a gentle moisturizer like cetaphil again or something called complex 15. Sounds like your skin wont get any better if you keep switching regime's, which is like most peoples. I have a friend who was on the pills and topicals and they werent working for her, then she just quit it and her face got better. Im starting to be a firm beleiver in just leaving your skin alone.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User

Oh...just saw your last post. Definately stop switching cleansers often, you do have to try at least one month to see if something works for you=)

Old 03-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #11
    Katy5
    (female)

Katy5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Versci View Post

And I've heard that birth control can get rid of acne in some.. If I decided to try that, would my doctor prescribe it despite me not being sexually active? Also, are there lots of side effects, such as weight gain? (I'll be looking it up as well, though.) And it would be great if it worked, but 4 months sounds like a long time to wait if I'm not even sure if it would work.
    Well when I first went on birth control pills I wasn't sexually active at the time. You need to go to the Gyno and she'll have to do an exam. Then you can tell her your main reason for going on them. (Mine was my acne, and severe cramps during my period) she'll prescribe one that she thinks is best for you.

As far as side effects, it varies from pill to pill. All birth control pills have a risk for things like blood clots, etc. But all medications have possible risks with it. Again, the doctor would talk to you about that.

For me personally, I went on Ortho-tri cyclen lo. Ortho-Tri Cyclen is the one that has been offically passed and recognized for treating acne, so maybe that's why mine took a little longer to work. It's similar to regular OTC but it has fewer hormone levels. I had no weight gain, and any "side effects" I had were only during the first month. Sore breasts, fatigue, and a teeny bit of nausea but that only lasted for about 2 or 3 days. *Edit- The nausea only lasted 2-3 days, the others lasted the whole month.

So anyways, just giving you that info. You may want to try going to a Derm. first, but with me personally none of the antibiotics I tried in the past worked but the BC pills worked like a charm.

Last edited by Katy5; 03-02-2007 at 10:45 AM.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #12
    3ex
    (male)

3ex HB User

I think U are wasting TIME and ENERGY. Try something New for Treatment if what your doing isnt working. (think 5 yrs and no real reslult) I HIGHLY Recommened a Dermatologist. I was also resistant at first, but it Changed my Life. It can get expensive, but medication WORKS. Personally, I would take out a loan or sell my car/home(or most valuable item) to get rid of acne. If treatment and pills were Free, would U take them? Dont let money be a barrier. U might have to try a few (2-3) medications to find the right one for U and your lifestye. If its REALLY important to you, try 2-3 different dermatilogist. (I have tried 2) Good luck.

Is anyone else Hesitant to try a Dermatologist?

Old 03-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #13
    Versci
    (female)

Versci HB User

3ex- Yes, I'll get to a dermatologist at some point, I'm just not sure when seeing as I have no car.

Katy- Thanks for the info. I have to get an exam at the gyno, eh? I've never been to the gynecologist before.. I have terrible anxiety. I'll keep the birth control option in mind, though.

Saphire- I actually have tried many cleansers/etc for more than one month, since I've been trying things over the course of 3 years now (I didn't do much for the first 2 out of these 5 years--mainly just used water). I don't remember every single regime I've had. I just know that at some point, most have been tried for at least a month. I even tried proactive for 3 months. I've also tried different combinations of things.. As well as more minimalistic things.

Alagaesia- Thank you for the suggestion of oil of olay cleaning cloths! The only kind I found were the "age-defying" ones (not sure if those were exactly what you used).. But I've been using them (in addition to another cleanser once a day) for the past 2 days, and I'm already seeing an improvement. My face is much softer. I'll keep using them and see what happens.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #14
    Alagaesia
    Veteran
    (female)

Alagaesia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Versci View Post
    3ex- Yes, I'll get to a dermatologist at some point, I'm just not sure when seeing as I have no car.

Katy- Thanks for the info. I have to get an exam at the gyno, eh? I've never been to the gynecologist before.. I have terrible anxiety. I'll keep the birth control option in mind, though.

Saphire- I actually have tried many cleansers/etc for more than one month, since I've been trying things over the course of 3 years now (I didn't do much for the first 2 out of these 5 years--mainly just used water). I don't remember every single regime I've had. I just know that at some point, most have been tried for at least a month. I even tried proactive for 3 months. I've also tried different combinations of things.. As well as more minimalistic things.

Alagaesia- Thank you for the suggestion of oil of olay cleaning cloths! The only kind I found were the "age-defying" ones (not sure if those were exactly what you used).. But I've been using them (in addition to another cleanser once a day) for the past 2 days, and I'm already seeing an improvement. My face is much softer. I'll keep using them and see what happens.

I think I use the ones that say deep cleansing. I used to use one that said combination/oily but I can't find those anymore. Sometimes its hard to find the non aging ones. Glad its helping so far. The reason I started using them is because I got a free sample, and within 3 days my whole face started to clear up. I've been using them ever since. I do use a liquid as well cause I don't want to constantly scrub my skin. I use the liquid in the shower and at night. I use the scrub as I'm getting ready to leave the house cause it scrapes off all the dirt and all the bits of dry skin.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #15
    Jonzai
    (male)

Jonzai HB User

What kind of detox did you try? My friend did a detox and it worked great for her. Now, her skin is so smooth and attractive!

Last edited by Jonzai; 03-06-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Closed Thread