It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• non drying cleanser

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    non drying cleanser

I been on retin-a micro for about a yr 1/2.It pretty well works for clearing my acne.The only problem is,that from time to time it drys my face out till it cracks.Can anyone recommend a really gentle wash or cleanser.Also i use neutrogena moisturizer,but sometimes even that doesnt help the dryness.Anyone have any suggestion.All replies wil be greatl appreciated.Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
    Alagaesia
    Veteran
    (female)

Alagaesia HB User
    Re: non drying cleanser

I just started using a facewash by alba botanica. I use the coconut milk kind. So far so good. It doesn't leave my face dry. I think any brand that has milk in it may be worth a try. For lotion I use nature's gate colloidal oatmeal. I love it.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alagaesia View Post
    I think any brand that has milk in it may be worth a try.
    Milk has lactic acid in it (which is an AHA), I once read a book where she recommended to just wash your face with powdered milk and I liked it but I hated the smell and its kinda hard to get a hang of, so Ive always looked for a soap that has a high concentration of milk in it. Anyways, try Aveeno's moisturizing bar, it also has oatmeal and is supposed to be a mild exfoliater.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
    surrealmeal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

surrealmeal HB User

Use a non-foaming cleanser. The rehydrating cream cleanser by J/A/S/O/N is very nice and I highly recommend it. Earth Science has a good one too. Both can be found at a health food store, but I've also seen them at Longs and Vons. There's always Cetaphil, too, which is good and non-drying but I prefer the more natural brands.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
    greeneyedgirl18
    (female)

greeneyedgirl18 HB User

I was on Retin A Micro from March '06 to this past January. The results were great, but just like you my face never really adapted to it. Each month I would have dry, cracked and sometimes flaky skin. Even though it was clear, the flakes started to bother me big time.

I know you asked about a face wash, but I was going to suggest Ziana if possibly you wanted to try another med. I've been using that since January and it doesn't make you peel at all like the Micro does. It is a gel that goes on very smooth and it contains clindamycin and trentinoin (which is what the micro contains) but is less harsh on the skin.

Hopefully you will find a face wash that works for you, but if all else fails give the Ziana a shot.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
    lovepinkkx17
    (female)

lovepinkkx17 HB User

if retina-a is working for you, i would reccomend that you still continue using it, but just apply a moisturizer right after you use retina-a. for acne-prone skin, i would use Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture for Combination Skin. i use this, it really works. i love it and it's non-comodogenic. :]

Old 03-13-2007, 02:29 AM   #7
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

I do use neutrogena oil free moisturizer after i use the retin-a micro,but my face still drys out and peels unfortunatly.Ive taken to just washing my face with plain water.Thanks for the suggestion anyway.Take care.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:44 AM   #8
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Gee the problem you were having with retin-a micro sounds exactly whats happening to me.What i dont understand is why it cleared my skin with minimal peeling for a long time,but just recently its started to be red almost like burn spots.I put it all over my chin.For a long time i didnt even have to wear moisturizer.I guess one of the reasons im afraid to try something else, is because either it might not work as well,or im going to have to go thru and initial breakout period.Im petrified of that.Thanks for your advice,maybe i will talk to my derm about it.Oh also what kind of acne did you have?I had cystic but not alot of them,but enough to freak me out.Take care.P.s i also forgot to mention i use clindamycin gel in the morning.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:48 AM   #9
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

My thanks to all of you who replied to my question.Take care

Old 03-13-2007, 02:54 AM   #10
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

oops i meant the next to my last posting question to be directed to greeneyedgirl18.

Closed Thread