It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Birth Control or Spiro??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
    MusicElle
    (female)

MusicElle HB User
    Birth Control or Spiro??

Hi I have a question for spiro users. I am currently on Ortho-Tri Cyclen and my skin is beautiful, birth control is the only thing that got me clear, and I tried everything from retin-a to Minocyclin, Doxycyclin, Clinda gel I mean everything, not one of them did anything for me. My problem is though Birth control makes my skin perfect it is causing all kinds of unwanted side effects. I really want to stop taking it but Im terrified my acne will come back. Do any of you know if spiro works well for people who have had luck with birth control since they are both for hormonal acne?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
    morrisun
    Veteran
    (female)

morrisun HB User
    Re: Birth Control or Spiro??

I'm taking Spiro right now for Acne, as I can't use BC pills (blood clots). So far I've only been on it for about 2 weeks and already the pimples are popping up less and less. I've heard it takes about 6 months to fully show results, but so far I'm thinking it's helping.
    PCOS

Old 03-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
    mommaoftwinsplus1
    Veteran
    (female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

I have tried bc for acne and had no results. Spiro has been the only thing that has worked for me...100mg once a day! By the way I am in my 30's and have my tubes tied...no more kids! Spiro is awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
    LisaMarie982001
    (female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User

I'm on the same bcp as you are. I am getting side effects too. I was on it before but went off be/c of the side effects and went on alesse and thats when all of the pimples and cysts happened. It was the alesse, it was bad for me. OTC is the only bcp that has worked for me. I have been on spiro going on 8 months now. And I am completely clear except for the leftover marks that are fading. Spiro is great! But like you are I'm afraid of going off of otc. I get very bad mood swings for this bcp!! Everyone can tell the difference. I don't know what it does too me. It's weird.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
    MusicElle
    (female)

MusicElle HB User

Hmm I think I may try spiro, I was also thinking of switching to yaz cuz it has spiro in it and I need birth control. My only problem is Im in college and on a limited income, with my health insurance anything generic is $10 and brand names are $45 Yaz does not have a generic and nether does yasmin. does spiro have a generic?

Last edited by MusicElle; 03-13-2007 at 09:40 AM.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
    barb3246
    (female)

barb3246 HB User

Are you having any side effects from the spiro? I've been on it for about 4 months, and I have been getting my period every 2 weeks for the last 2 months. Its really annoying, and I'm thinking of stopping the spiro because of it, but my skin does look better.....

Old 03-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
    LisaMarie982001
    (female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barb3246 View Post
    Are you having any side effects from the spiro? I've been on it for about 4 months, and I have been getting my period every 2 weeks for the last 2 months. Its really annoying, and I'm thinking of stopping the spiro because of it, but my skin does look better.....

Are you using a bc

Old 03-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
    missprissy483
    (female)

missprissy483 HB User

I'm on yasmin, which has spiro in it and although I haven't really ever had that much of a problem with my skin, since I've been on yasmin my skin is great. Only thing about yasmin, i don't believe it has a generic and brand name is almost 65$, atleast it is where I get it.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
    barb3246
    (female)

barb3246 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LisaMarie982001 View Post
    Are you using a bc

I cannot use the Pill because of blood clots.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
    S_K
    (female)

S_K HB User

I'm just wondering what the side effects of Ortho-Tri Cyclen are?

And does your derm have to prescribe spiro? I'm a bit too young for birth control, although I'd really like to try it because I'm having such a problem

By the way- I'm going to the derm in about two weeks for an allergy test- could he prescribe to me there, and how much, it seems 100 mg is best

Last edited by S_K; 03-15-2007 at 04:42 PM.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #11
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barb3246 View Post

Yes, that is the primary reason that spiro is usually prescribed along with bc pills. Irregular periods are a common side effect.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #12
    laindenver
    (female)

laindenver HB User

Hi, I've been thinking about birth control to help with my skin (have a derm. appointment in a few weeks and thought I would ask him about it) I've read some stuff on this site about Yazmine, Yaz and OTC- does anyone have a reccomendation aboout which works better for acne? It seems like OTC has bad side effects for a lot of people. Advice is appreciated-Thanks.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #13
    Nici11
    (female)

Nici11 HB User

Do most people exprience major mood swings with OTC? My derm told me to try it for my acne. Does the OTC have a lot of hormones to cause the mood swings?? I already had this issue while on the patch and i'd rather not go through it again as it contributed to my boyfriend eventually breaking up with me... :/

Old 03-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #14
    morrisun
    Veteran
    (female)

morrisun HB User

I took OTC for many many years. I never experienced a problem with mood swings.
    PCOS

Old 03-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #15
    MusicElle
    (female)

MusicElle HB User

Hi I am the original poster, OTC is working soo well for my acne but it was giving me mood swings, fatigue,and low sex drive. But there is hope, about three weeks ago some one on the birth control board told me to try a vitamin B complex because birth control depletes vitamin B, I tried it and now I feel soooooo much better and my skin still looks great and Im still on OTC. So now I can have my cake and eat it too

Closed Thread