It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• advice on retin-a micro?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
    laindenver
    (female)

laindenver HB User
    advice on retin-a micro?

Hi, I've had acne since I was 12 and now I am 24. There have been times where I had it under control and then (of course) I became immune to my medication (clindamyacin, differen, antibiotics etc..) The past five month my skin has been gradually getting worse and worse and I finally saw my dermatologist again and got retin-a micro and a new antibiotic. I was so confident in the beginning that it would work but now I don't know. It's been almost six weeks and my skin is worse than ever. I have cystic and hormonal acne but it has never been this bad before. I now have so many painful cysts and so many pustules that I can't stand looking in the mirror my whole jawline area and part of my cheek on both sides are litterly covered in pimples. My dermatologist said to keep using it, that this was just the purging and it would get better. I don't want to give up 6 weeks into it but I need advice- has anyone had purging this bad from retin-a and then their skin cleared and was better? Still hoping.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
    ryryrylan
    (male)

ryryrylan HB User
    Re: advice on retin-a micro?

well, let me start off my saying that different people yield different results. from my personal experience, retin-a micro ruined my skin. i used it for a little over 11 weeks and i went through the purging and such and it was bad but after 8 weeks it got better and better. however, my skin started to react to it strangely after week 11 and i got really irritated, eczema like bumps all over. i switched to retin-a micro 0.04% (i used the 0.1% before) but it did no difference. no my skin texture is a mess and it's also overly sensitive, i never had sensitive skin before. i stopped ram, still looking for something else to use. it was clearing my skin and i was happy but then it turned sour and i became so ****** off.. why did all of a sudden irritation occur?

but anyways i think you should give it a try.. wait it out atleast 12 weeks. for me, i didn't like how red it made me.. again, i never had problems with skin sensitivity but ram sure changed that.

ps. differin stopped working for you? isn't retin-a micro and differin a lot alike. i mean differin is just a little weaker than ram.. what did the differin do to your skin?

Old 03-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
    laindenver
    (female)

laindenver HB User

Hey, thanks for the advice. I'm trying to stick it out and I have some new antibiotics that my dermatologist said should help (we'll see) so I'll give it a few more weeks I guess. Differen worked okay on my skin and I think I was using it with sulfoxyl (which smelled awful) but then it just stopped working at all after about two years. Don't know why. Then I started on glycolic acid and benzoyl peroxide till recently. Sorry retin-a didn't work for you and I hope your skin heals up. Thanks

Old 03-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
    Kymberlee
    Veteran
    (female)

Kymberlee HB User

I say stick it out a little longer with the Retin-a Micro. I've been on it for years and I still LOVE it. It has really made a huge difference with my skin. I never had the sensitivity with it at all. Good Luck!

Old 04-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Kymberlee what strength of retin a micro did you use.I been on it for over a yr and now it really just burns my skin and peels.Now im down to using it only 2x a week.Funny it didnt burn my skin so much in the first yr,wonder why its doing it now.Take care.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
    Kymberlee
    Veteran
    (female)

Kymberlee HB User

I'm using the .1% with NO redness or burning! I've been using it for YEARS. I tried the Tazerac and that BURNED my skin! The Retin-a Micro is great for my skin! Good Luck! Kym

Closed Thread