It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Low-Dose Accutane Treatment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
    hopetobeclear
    (female)

hopetobeclear HB User
    Low-Dose Accutane Treatment

Hi,
    I am thinking of going on Accutane again...for the fourth time. I was wondering if anyone on the board has had, or is currently being treated with lower doses of Accutane? I talked to my derm, as well as researched it on the internet, and it seems lower doses can work just as well without causing some of the side effects. If you have been treated using low-dose Accutane therapy would you mind responsding to the following questions:

1. What was your dosage?
    2. Did you have an initial breakout?
    3. How long did it take to see:
    a. improvements
    b. totally clear skin
    4. Any other side effects you feel like mentioning?

For those of you that haven't experienced low dose Accutane therapy, and insights? Ever heard of it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
    blitzball
    (male)

blitzball HB User
    Re: Low-Dose Accutane Treatment

well ive taken accutane for 9 months ...first 3 months 10mg, second three months 20 mg then ...25 mg for the next month and a half ....then the rest 1 and a half month 10 mg and now this is the tenth month and im taking 10 mg alternate day

sorry im in a rush so cant puntuate and all must confuse u a bit
    n e way so yeh i had moderate acne that kept coming back when i was on minocyclin ..so my doc then tried accutane

now im really clear .. i had severe acne on the back , which is gone now

altho i get a pimple or 2 once a month but it lasts only for a day or two

this low dose thing was brilliant

altho it made my hair very thin and i had hair fall too
    but just after a week of stoping it... my hair fall stoped and my hair are now becoming fuller!!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
    hopetobeclear
    (female)

hopetobeclear HB User

Hi,
    Thanks for responding. I think I might take this route. But I was wondering, do you remember if you had an initial breakout? And, how long did it take to see a really good improvement? When did you completely clear?

Old 03-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
    macgirl1970
    (female)

macgirl1970 HB User
    Wink Re: Low-Dose Accutane Treatment

I have been through several periods of accutane treatments. It does work and it's the ONLY thing that works for me, however the acne always returns. By the 4th-6th month following treatment it's back. After the forth time, I asked my Dr. if a permanent low dosage was an option, since we now know the outcome of my treatments. I was wanting to go through the entire regular treatment which for me was 3 or 4 months to get me cleared up and then rather than just ending the treatment, continue to take as low a dose as possible on a daily or regular basis to keep me clear for good. He said he was willing to try it and would experiment with what dose would do it. With all the risks and danger associated with taking accutane of course the lowest possible dose was imperative. Unfortunately at that time several years ago my insurance suddenly discontinued coverage of Accutane. I couldn't afford it out of pocket so that was the end of that. I was very upset after the prospect of FINALLY curing my lifelong acne was nixed.

I am going to look into going back to the drawing board as I have different ins. now. I don't know if it will cover it but if it does, I'm there. I'm 36 and have been cursed with severe acne my entire life. If your Dr. is willing to do the continued treatment I say deffinately go for it. I'd be very interested in hearing your progress reports.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
    hopetobeclear
    (female)

hopetobeclear HB User

Still deciding if I want to do low-dose or regular doses, with maintenence doses indefinetly.

Reviving the post...any and all have any thoughts, post 'em

I am really wanting to know how long it takes to get clear using low-doses, and if their are any initial breakouts........

Last edited by hopetobeclear; 04-01-2007 at 02:12 PM.

Closed Thread