It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Minocycline...will it work?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
    SableBoo
    (female)

SableBoo HB User
    Minocycline...will it work?

I've been using Minocycline 200 mg's a day for the past 2 weeks for cystic acne on my chin. I have about 5 small cysts in that area for the past month. Some have been injected and have gotten smaller but a small bump is still present. Will the Minocycline clear these up soon? Any suggestions for cysts? Comments on Minocycline very much wanted,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #2
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User
    Re: Minocycline...will it work?

This is the antibiotic that my derm prescribed to me 9 years ago for my acne I was dealing with in highschool, it definately helped me with my acne then, but I also used the topical benzamycin with it so dont know which one worked the best.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
    yorksguy61
    (male)

yorksguy61 HB User

Hi i was on minocyline a few yrs ago. It worked in a limited fashion but in the end i was put on a course of accutane. The results were amazing, the side effects while taking accutane were pretty bad but i feel it was worth it in the end.
    Try to stay positive and keep searching for that light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
    Sue21
    (female)

Sue21 HB User

Minocycline was the only thing that ever worked for my moderate yet oh-so-persistant acne.

I used it along with benzoyl peroxide and Tazorac, but the antibiotic was no doubt what fixed my acne.

Unfortunately, the first week or two I was extremely dizzy and off-balance, sometimes nauseous. However that feeling faded. If you can, stick it out.

My advice: the first time you notice your skin is better, don't stop takng the antibiotic right away. Take it for a few months more after your skin is first clear. Then SLOWLY wean yourself off it.

Keep in mind, though, that DIFFERENT THINGS WORK FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE. Some people rave over Benzaclin of Differin. I thought they were useless. Others seem "immune" to the effects of an antibiotic, while I seem them as a powerful tool in the fight against acne. Just give it a try, what can you lose?

Old 04-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
    SableBoo
    (female)

SableBoo HB User

Thank you for your thoughts!
    I just came back from the derm's office and had the cysts injected (hopefully this will be the last time, very expensive!...but worth it)
    Along with the Minocycline I also have 2 topical creams, Differin and Clindoxyl Gel. I haven't really used the Differin because I have read that some poeple break out even more...kinda scared of it now But my derm said he really likes this product and it was very rare for more breakouts to happen.
    Other than this VERY ANNOYING area on the right side of my chin, which only exploded last month, my skin is pretty clear. Therefore I think Accutane is just a little too much for 1 flare up during a very stressful time.
    Hopefully, with a better diet and relaxation, this will pass.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User

Differen did nothing for me when I tried it, its like it had no effect. I liked the benzamycin, it was also good because you had to keep it in the fridge so it was kinda cool when I put it on. I tried to get that stuff again but from a GP doc but he only gave me some generic brand, which I dont think worked as well.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
    SableBoo
    (female)

SableBoo HB User

Ugh......had some of my small cysts injected yesterday and 3 are still THERE! 1 in particular is bugging me....SCREAM! It's only been 24 hrs....I'm hoping the shot will continue to work over the next few days.....does anyone know how long the injection continues to "melt" the cysts? Will Minocycline also heal the cysts?

Old 04-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #8
    Vegeta1
    (male)

Vegeta1 HB User

I was put on Minocyclin twice so far by my GP. Each time it worked OK for about 2months. Yeah I felt alittle dizzy aswell for the 1st two weeks when takin it. Life was good when it worked. Sadly after it began to show signs of being 'ineffective' the spots came back. So, guys I hope it works well for u better then it did for me!

Old 04-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
    Vegeta1
    (male)

Vegeta1 HB User

Any of u guys done any real research on acne and whats causin it? Apparently its a hormonal imbalance aswell as conjestion of toxins in the body,mainly the blood and lymph fluid. Basical the kidneys and liver can't cope with all the excess toxins and so these can be eliminated through the skin, this could be linked to the greaseyness of my skin at times. Usually, the areas I suffer from spots have excess skin oil, so it kinda makes sense. Anyway, its no suprise antibiotics had a limited effect on my spots coz it jus dealt with the P.acnes bacteria not the internal problem. Its also a fact that everyone has this bacteria in their skin yet not everyone has spots!!

Closed Thread