It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• The Aftermath of Proactive

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
    geneva10
    (female)

geneva10 HB User
    Question The Aftermath of Proactive

Hi all,

I started using Proactive for my mild/moderate(?) acne July 2005. It worked like a charm up until April 2007. Out of the blue, I started to get the little bumps back on my forehead, and now my chin, nose, and general t-zone area has transformed from perfectly clear to pimply.

My question is this, to those who have used proactive before - what did you do when it stopped working? I am scared to completely stop using it, because after two years of it I don't even know what facewash to use? I'm also scared that if I completely stop using it, my face will get even worse. Any informative post-proactive stories?

I am going to start Ortho-Tri Cyclen once my period starts. I also have a dermatologist appointment scheduled in 9 days. Before Proactive, I've used a slew of topicals - Benzyclin, Tazorac, a Climandycin (sp?) mask, Duac. I also had smoothbeam treatments - which worked magically with duac. But they only work when I have it done every month - and both the smoothbeam and duac became insanely expensive.

Any suggestions? Tips? I really appreciate any responses - acne is the most emotionally crippling condition ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
    leec41604
    (female)

leec41604 HB User
    Re: The Aftermath of Proactive

I use proactiv and about the only time I have problems is when I switch shampoo or laundry detergent. That could have an effect. Try to think of anything you have done differently lately....maybe eat different foods?

I'm pretty sure proactiv has a stronger solution that you can get, maybe that will help. Hope you figure out what works!!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
    volcomrxy21
    (female)

volcomrxy21 HB User

I used it with great success for about 3 years when suddenly it stopped working completely. I stopped using it and after trying a few different prescription cleansers and medications for acne, here I am 4 years later trying Proactiv again because NOTHING worked. I just received it in the mail yesterday so hopefully it'll work like it did the first time I used it. I'll keep you updated...

Old 05-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
    caymanbabes
    (female)

caymanbabes HB User

Hi, Proactive worked for me but only for three months, then the acne started coming back. I too have tried various topicals, but never found that 'miracle' cure. Since I'm waiting for an apt with a new derm, I decided to try Olay Regenerist face wash and Neutrogena AHA moisturizer with SPF (closest I could find to Alpha Hydrox brand). Well I haven't had a new spot for two weeks, which is pretty amazing, considering one of the weeks was the week before my period - usually the worst week. I love the face wash, and whilst the Neutrogena AHA hasn't made me break out, it does look a bit 'shiny' on - I would use the Alpha Hydrox if I could get it over here (both products recommended on this site).

Another reason I stopped using Proactive was that I read BP ages your skin because it increases the amount of free radicals (what?!). I have noticed a definite increase in fine lines and wrinkles since using it (I'm 32).

A good thing about using Proactive for a while - the AHA cream doesn't irritate at all, which it is supposed to - I think my skin is so used to the harsh proactive solutions! Though I never could wear the Proactive Oil-Free moisturizer, irritated me like crazy - the zinc oxide I think.

I'm sure my acne is hormonal and on this board I've been recommended Yasmin and spiro together (only trouble is finding a Dr over here who will prescribe it!).

Good luck!

Old 07-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
    lollobrigida2
    (female)

lollobrigida2 HB User

I have never used ProActive and do not intend to either. I know several people who do (of all ages) and although they seem satisfied with it for now, the aftermath may surprise you. ProActive mainly consists of an ingredient called Benzoyl Peroxide as you may know, but what you may not know is that applying alcohol on your face is one of the worst and harshest ways to treat your skin problems. Benzoyl Peroxide causes premature aging and severe dryness which may lead to cracked skin and irritation. Plus the highter the dosage, the more you damage and burn the surface of your skin. Any product that is over-publicized in the media (especially with the use of celebrities to boost sales) you know that something ain't right. I have spoken to many estheticians and good dermatologists who say the same thing.

Last edited by lollobrigida2; 07-11-2007 at 05:37 PM.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
    llouis
    (male)

llouis HB User

i agree with the premature aging stuff. although proactive work miraclely for the first 4 years but it does make me look older than my age. those who dont know me thought i was 28 instead i'm 23. haha

Old 07-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
    boozle
    (female)

boozle HB User

Pro-active worked wonders for me for around 6 months.. then my skin suddenly got really oily and it stopped working.. I have no idea whether oil increased because I had used Pro-active or what, I mean BP can't make your skin MORE oily all of a sudden after 6 months can it?!
    I have heard of building resistance to anti-biotics, but not to BP/AHAs so I don't understand how the product stops working?!
    Well anyway, now I'm on Spiro for the oil.. and Mario Bascadue glycolic cleanser/toner which is doing ok, not as good as before the oil came though :-(

Closed Thread