It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Very unsure of these bumps.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
    PandaSweaters
    (female)

PandaSweaters HB User
    Very unsure of these bumps.

I've lurked through the other threads in this board, and I didn't see much about what I have.

So it began when I was.. well, maybe around the age of 7 or 8? After I went swimming with my neighbour's in their pool often, I started getting these white bumps on my arms, and on the tops/sides on my thighs. They wern't so bad to begin with, so I just didn't think much of them. But then they started getting more raised, and gradually becoming red. (Only sometimes they get red; usually if irritated or after I get out of the shower.) They span down my arms the whole length, and on the back of my arms. As for my thighs, they only go to about the knee, and stop. (not on the back of my legs, either.)

I'm 15 now, and they haven't let up in the 8 years of dealing with them. I've been to two dermatologists in the past. One told me I wasn't washing my body (uhm, alright? >__>) and the second I went to recommended that I use Glytone, a body wash and lotion deal. The Glytone hasn't done me much justice, as I still have said bumps. They're on my face, but not much. Just a few bumps here and there, that aren't raised/red. They're not itchy, either, but they do cause me to have really dry skin, even after I use lotion.
    I'm really stumped as to what to do, or what these could be possibly called (if anything.)
    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
    MSUstudent
    (female)

MSUstudent HB User
    Re: Very unsure of these bumps.

Sounds like keratosis pilaris to me. I have them on the backs of my arms up to my elbow but not below my elbow. If I squeeze my bumps or scratch them off this hard clear stuff comes out. The hair follicle becomes clogged with excess keratin, which is a protein found in the skin, and this causes bumps. The condition is genetic and there isn't a whole lot that can be done. The condition may worsen in the winter because of the drier weather. I am shocked to hear that the dermatolgoists that you saw did not mention this. It is not because you are not washing your skin....that is absurd!!! Try using an exfoliator on the areas two times a week and see if a dermatoligist can give you something like retin a or a cream that contiains alpha hydroxy acids.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #3
    Lost-in-Time
    Inactive
    (female)

Lost-in-Time HB User

I have something similar but never been diagnosed. They are on my arms and appear to be in the hair follicles. If I squeeze them, which I do too often, a lump of white stuff comes out, often with a hair coming out with it. I aqlso have it on my breast. It doesn't itch and hasn't been a problem for me. I just hide my arms. I did have some on my legs right above my kneds for awhile but they have cleared up. I have always wondered what it was and why it is in the hair follicles......

Old 07-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
    PandaSweaters
    (female)

PandaSweaters HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSUstudent View Post
    Sounds like keratosis pilaris to me. I have them on the backs of my arms up to my elbow but not below my elbow. If I squeeze my bumps or scratch them off this hard clear stuff comes out. The hair follicle becomes clogged with excess keratin, which is a protein found in the skin, and this causes bumps. The condition is genetic and there isn't a whole lot that can be done. The condition may worsen in the winter because of the drier weather. I am shocked to hear that the dermatolgoists that you saw did not mention this. It is not because you are not washing your skin....that is absurd!!! Try using an exfoliator on the areas two times a week and see if a dermatoligist can give you something like retin a or a cream that contiains alpha hydroxy acids.
    I'm looking more into keratosis pilaris, and it's amazing, because I finally know what this is! Not once did they (the dermatologists) mentioned what it could be. That's very odd, considering that's their field of expertise. It was quite a while ago that I actually don't remember what they called my condition, but they came nothing close to figuring this out.
    I often itch them, too, and they do the same thing.
    I'm going to do just that~ I need to visit the dermatologist soon, anywways. I'll bring this up with my mom and get something done. Thank you so much for your help.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #5
    PandaSweaters
    (female)

PandaSweaters HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lost-in-Time View Post
    I have something similar but never been diagnosed. They are on my arms and appear to be in the hair follicles. If I squeeze them, which I do too often, a lump of white stuff comes out, often with a hair coming out with it. I aqlso have it on my breast. It doesn't itch and hasn't been a problem for me. I just hide my arms. I did have some on my legs right above my kneds for awhile but they have cleared up. I have always wondered what it was and why it is in the hair follicles......

I often hid my arms, too. I don't like wearing shorts, either. This sort of thing wears on you when you have someone asking you what's all over your arms, or my favourite, "is that contagious? are you sick?" I've tried to ignore it, but now I'm in the stage of wanting it to go away.
    My legs aren't AS bad, but my arms aren't showing any sign of progress. My face cleared, but there wasn't much on my face to begin with.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
    nikki5048
    (female)

nikki5048 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Very unsure of these bumps.

I too get the bumbs on the backs of my arms, most noticably on my left arm. I think that's because it gets more sun than my right, especially when I'm driving. I've found something that's been working so far...been doing it for a few weeks and they are MUCH less noticable...fewer bumps, smaller bumps, and decreased redness in the whole area.
    I bought a body wash with salicylic acid (Neutrogena) in it and I use that everyday in the shower with a body loofah. When I get out, I use the Clinique clarifying toner #2 that I bought for my face on the area as well. Just a dab on a cotton ball and run it over the affected area. It's a mild exfoliating toner, leaves a little bit of a sting at first, but not too bad. After that, I use my Oil of Olay face moisturizer with spf15 in it. I still have a few little bumps, but nothing like the rash I had 2 weeks ago...and because they are less noticable, the urge to pick and squeeze them has subsided. I can see totally going away if I keep this routine up...and I willhave left are the small scars from picking at them...
    If you are tempted to pick at them, DON'T. It will leave a scar. And other peoples theories that a tan makes them better aren't true...at least not for me.

Closed Thread