It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2003, 07:24 AM   #1
laur HB User
Post dsheldon

Hi again,
I read your recent post about the spiro and skinoren not working anymore. I'm sorry to hear that. Has anything changed since your post??

I myself have been having a pretty rough time also. As you know, I have just returned from my trip. Before I left I had a severely irritated patch on my left cheek from using the azeleic acid products. My derm was absolutely no help and during the last conversation he told me he didn't know what else to do. I left for my trip very upset. I ended up using good old vaseline for about a week in that area. It relieved some of the dryness and burning and brought some pimples to a head. I decided last tuesday that I would stop the accutane and see what happens. My skin is soooo dry that the junk underneath can't seem to come to the surface. The bumps have just remained under there for months. Since stopping the accutane, My surface skin is still dry but at least the ones under there are finally starting to surface. I admit that it is stressing me out pretty bad to see so much coming up but I don't know how else to get them out of there. I just hope new ones won't start forming and make things worse. I am no longer using the jojoba oil all over either. I do apply a bit around my mouth and am trying to use the elidel cream there to ward off anything like the familiar oil filled bumps that come. Every time I have EVER stopped the accutane, I break out severely around my mouth. I hope I can get off this stuff once and for all. Right now I currently have about 20 or 30 coming and going/healing. Red marks and pitted skin. Wonder if all the years of using the tane can pit the skin? Didn't notice it much until recently. Could the jojoba oil make the pores appear larger?? Anyway, I am also not using the vaseline. My skin is flakey and dry and I am using the glycolic cleanser in the evening to try to exfoliate a bit to get this over with faster. I'm not sure what buried these things so deep, .....was it because I used the taz/ or azelex products ...or the 2 months of cp serum.....or what?? My skin was dry, but using the jojoba oil I thought I was doing the right thing. Now, looking back, it seems that the jojoba oil sits on the surface to alleviate the dry flaky skin, but the skin underneath remains dry, blocking the pores ability to get things up to the surface. Maybe I'm just looking for answers I guess, but I sure screwed up. My skin is drier now than it was before starting the jojoba oil. I wonder if it does somehow "trick" your oil glands into shutting down? All I know is I havent taken any accutane since 7 days ago. I'm terrified about doing the wrong thing, but am not sure what else to do.
I also took 1500mg of amoxicillan for approx 2 1/2 weeks to "help heal that patch and clear some of the acne"....nothing. I still broke out and the vaseline did more good than the amoxil. I did hate the sticky greasy feeling of the vaseline though!!

So here I sit, 1 week off accutane with tons of them beginning to surface. I KNOW in my heart that they have to come out sometime, somehow, but I just can't stand to look in the mirror. I'm having a bad day.

By the way D, any thoughts on this...I have noticed an increase in the last several weeks of facial hair. It has grown in a bit thicker, is blond and has gotten longer. I have not shaved it, but admit to using a tiny scissors to "trim" a bit. Through my research, I have realized that spiro helps to control facial hair/ acne. I've also learned that if the skin gets severely irritated it can stimulate 5 alpha stimulate hair growth. I have fine soft (not coarse) hair but it has become more noticeable. My question is, until May 21 I was taking 50 mg of spiro daily and then stopped. That is when I began using the finacea every day for the month and the irritation became really bad. Could the increase in facial hair be from stopping the spiro or the irritation? I really noticed the facial hair in the last 4 weeks or so. Also still taking yasmin, but have found only anti androgenic properties reported so I wouldn't think its from that after 7 months? Any thoughts??
I do hope you are able to work things out with the spiro. I remember being completely clear on it 10 years ago and know how well it works. I may try it again myself once I get past the awful dry skin. I really think all the drying stuff I used buried this junk down in there. When I squeeze them (not all of them but a few), there is a hard white plug in them. Can tell its been in there for awhile. Remember how I said they would be oil filled and then scab over and become a pimple again?? I think its because this "plug" was down in there still.
Well, anyway, I hope you were just having a bad week and the spiro is still working for you. Maybe your hormones just went goofy for a bit? Did you use the progesterone cream? I've thought about it but have been too scared to try it. Any word on Micheguns progress??

Hope this is a better day for you

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 08-05-2003, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
micheguns HB User

hi laur,

i tried to write a post to you about 2 weeks ago but you never saw it i guess??? anyway, how was the trip????
wow, you are going through a lot with the accutane and now facial hair...i don't know about that one...

as for me, i have had 4 microdermabrasions and continue to use all the crazy products everyday and night. i think they are helping a little. my red marks are all still there, but maybe a little less noticeable (but still very noticeable). i have been trying to go out a little more and prepare myself for school again. It is still not easy for me to leave because of my face. i can't wear makeup and even if i could, my face is so flaky that i would look like a nightmare...i guess this means i won't be needing a halloween costume (lol) because my face is already monster like...

as for my hormones, i still take 200mg of spiro. which has helped now with the oil (i only blot 3-5 times a day versus 50). Last month i spotted bad on the prometruim and this month i am spotting but it is light, so hopefully i can continue to take it. they had to give me 3 contraceptive pills last month to stop the bleeding. i still get the shots every two weeks and now i can give them to myself (very weird feeling giving myself a shot in the rearend).

so that's pretty much it with me..still a mess and i am gaining weight because of the hormones. i am like 112-115 and i kind of feel gross. i just don't want to gain any more. I also cut my hair and i don't like it, so basically i look like a mess. ok, well, i am always still on the board pretty much every day, so write often if you like and i will respond too. hope you have a smile on your face. I am still praying for us and everyone here that we get well soon and we can put these nightmares behind us.

[This message has been edited by micheguns (edited 08-05-2003).]

Old 08-05-2003, 02:46 PM   #3
laur HB User

Hi M

Was wondering about you. Sounds like things may be moving in the right direction at least. Are you still breaking out? Has the spiro helped that too?? Well, your oil is better. I'm the opposite, I'm so dry that my face has crevices and pits like a desert. The accutane and other products really did a number on my face. The accutane kept me somewhat clear before, but when I was trying to constantly cut down and add things to compensate, I think I messed up. My derm doesn't know what to do with me anymore, so I basically went off the accutane by myself. I also stopped the jojoba oil. Wanting to see MY oil return. The jojoba oil, I just am torn between what I think about it. No moisturizers for now, just trying to see how long it will take for my skin to start to do its own moisturizing if thats possible after 5 years of tane. I am torn between stopping it and going back on a 5 month course to try to burn it out of me once and for all. But I thought I would at least try to cut down . Still scared I'm doing the wrong thing. All the old ones that have been there since december/january are starting to surface and each seems to have a hard white plug. That shows why they never came to the surface before this. But its slow going .
I had a nice trip but thought about this constantly. didn't feel at all like myself and had a very hard time trying to decide what to do next. Since the derm told me that, I feel abandoned. there is no one else around here to even go to. I feel like a lost cause. Not sure if I should try the spiro again at a dose of 150 or something. My skin is too dry right now. although today it seems to not be quite as dry. There seem to be about 50 in that old irritated patch caused by the topicals. Not sure I like them becoming bigger before getting out of there. Admittedly, I picked a few. Not the smart thing I know, but old habits die hard. I hold out hope that we can all get past this, whatever the route. sounds like D is having a rough time of it again.
sorry about not answering that post. I've been off the boards for about 3 weeks or so. When is your next micro??

Old 08-05-2003, 03:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
daylight568 HB User

Hello L&M,
I'm doing Ok I guess.My face is somewhat clear with a few scattered trouble spots on forehead that have me mystified.I've been out of Spiro for 2 days now .I was expecting it to have come by now but it hasn't .I hope it hasn't gotten lost as I am also running low on the Skinoren.Been aching and bleeding a lot lately.....

Closed Thread