It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Tazorac Breakout Period/Increase in Oil

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2003, 06:14 PM   #1
    CraigJ

CraigJ HB User
    Question Tazorac Breakout Period/Increase in Oil

Hi,

I am new to this forum, but I have read a lot of the old posts and found a lot of good information.

I have just finished week five with 0.1% Tazorac cream. I have very oily skin and moderate but persistant acne which is a combination of pustules and cysts. I had never had comedones or papules until I started Tazorac. This has been my experience so far:

Week One: Dried my face out right away. Oil disappeared. No new breakouts all week.

Week Two: Still dry, with a fair amount of peeling and flaking. Had to start using a heavy-duty moisturizer on my face (which I have always been reluctant to do - I don't care if the say noncomedogenic, it still feels greasy and I can't see how it wouldn't trap some oil in your pores). I use Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair. It really helped clear up the flakiness. I started using it both at night and in the morning, but after a few days I only needed it once a day. In terms of acne, I had some mild pustules this week, but they were all the kind that went away very quickly and were hardly noticeable.

Week Three: Dryness continued, but manageable. Breakouts gradually getting worse. I now have numerous blackheads and whiteheads, especially on my forehead and cheeks, both of which tend to be acne free areas for me - I usually break out on my chin, cheeks, and temples.

Week Four: Basically identical to week three, except that I got my first cyst since starting the Tazorac - it was on my right cheek.

Week Five: Almost overnight, the oil has returned. My skin is now as oily as ever. I no longer have to use moisturizer at all. One night, as an experiment, I used twice as much Tazorac as recommended and I still woke up with an oily face with no dryness. This was by far the worst week in terms of breakouts. I got another cyst on the other cheek, as well as one above my right eyebrow. Today I got two more small cysts on the side of my upper chin.

So, that's my experience so far. I'm wondering what others' experiences with Tazorac have been like. How long were your breakout periods? Did it eventually subside? I have read some other posts that people's skin got oily after using Tazorac. Did it eventually subside? I have read that the breakout period for Retin-A is usually from week three through week six. My doctor told me that Tazorac's breakout period should be over by the end of the first month. I am going to give it another week, which will be six weeks, and then go back if things haven't gotten better. I am also going to go back to using my old BP cleanser since my face is oily enough now that I am no longer concerned with overdrying it. I will see if that makes a difference. I will keep you updated on the progress, and would love to hear others experiences with Tazorac.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2003, 06:25 PM   #2
    micheguns
    Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User
    hi there...
    wow, you sound like me right now....
    well, i started tazorac 8 weeks ago and i expected and initial breakout, but i am still breaking out with everything that you describe and my oil (lets just say i could wax your car with what comes off my face) and i have dry flakes on top of everything else and my face is a nice shade of cranberry. well, my derm is switching me to azelex cream (finiven 20%) so let us see if that works! did you experience redness in your face?

Old 06-13-2003, 06:42 PM   #3
    CraigJ

CraigJ HB User
    Red face

Yes, my face got very red for the first three weeks. People were constantly commenting on my "sunburn." During about week four, the redness started to go away. Now, it's pretty much back to "normal."

Old 07-13-2003, 04:34 PM   #4
    keysh

keysh HB User
    My son has been on Tazorac for 4 weeks & 2 days. His blackheads have gotten much darker. Is this normal? He also wakes up with about 6 pustules every morning. He started with 200 mg. of minocycline 4 days ago. I'm going to have him add cleocin on the pustules at night. Shouldn't he be seeing some improvement? His face is bright red all of the time. He is 13 & he hangs his head down. It breaks my heart. We are desperate for ideas. He is going to see a new dermatologist, but can't get in until Aug.

Old 07-13-2003, 04:41 PM   #5
    FacialDiscrimination

FacialDiscrimination HB User
    WELL I'M GOING ON MY 4TH MONTH OF TAZORAC....AND I'VE HAD SOME GOOD RESULTS...ALTHOUGH I MILDLY BREAKOUT STILL BUT THEY DISAPPEAR FAIRLY QUICKLY WHEN I APPLY THE TAZORAC...BEFORE TAZORAC MY FACE WAS VERY OILY AND I HAD TO BLOTCH OR WIPE THE OIL OFF EVERY FEW HOURS...NOW UNLESS IT'S EXTREMEMLY HOT AND I'M SWEATING TO MY FACE DOESN'T GET OILY....THE ONLY PARTS OF MY FACE THAT STILL BREAKSOUT WOULD BE MY TEMPLE AREA AND MY JAW LINE....NOW AND THAN I MIGHT GET A SMALL PIMPLE ON MY CHEEK AREA....LETS JUST SAY IF MY FACE DOESN'T CLEAR UP WITHIN TWO MORE MONTHS...MY DERM IS GOING TO SWITCH TO ACCUTANE...YIKES..

Old 07-13-2003, 05:34 PM   #6
    linnybee428
    Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
    Were you oily to begin with? I never was too oily so for the first month my face dried up and completely flaked off. Now it is back to the way it was before, minus the zits. So I wonder if eventually skin gets used to Taz's drying effects. For me, I'm glad because I was a dry mess for a while, but I could see how others wouldn't like going back to the way they were before, even if the zits are gone (I'd keep giving that some time because it took 2 months until my skin got good).

Old 07-14-2003, 08:15 AM   #7
    remy03

remy03 HB User
    Hello All,

I have been using Tazorac for approx. 8 weeks now and am finally starting to see improvement. For the first 5 weeks I was breaking out bad and my skin was flaking off. I felt like some sort of reptile. I recently went for a checkup to my derm and he said not to use more than a pea size because in this case more is not better. It actually causes more oil production and can cause more breakouts.

I have also started doing Microdermabrasion, which i have mixed feelings about. My skin feels soft after and it helps with discolorations from acne but after each treatment i get breakouts.
    My derm has recommended I try Smoothbeam. I have decided to do it and can't wait.

Old 07-14-2003, 09:04 AM   #8
    Red Bean
    (female)

Red Bean HB User
    HI - I've been using taz for a few months now and I really like it. I got crazy break outs too so I did some research - the medicine purges the junk out of your skin first. That's why it looks so bad for so long. If you've got a lot of junk in your skin (like I did) then that's why it's looking worse before it gets better. But after it's purged your skin, THAT'S when it starts improving because there's nothing buried under there to break out anymore. But I have noticed increase in oiliness...not that I care. As long as there aren't any zits, I'm ok with the oil! Also, I had acne scar/marks before but they peel away with the taz.

Old 07-15-2003, 07:09 AM   #9
    pearpen27

pearpen27 HB User
    These posts make me feel better--- I wanted to cry this morning. I went to the derm last week and she gave me samples of tazarac to use for the next 8 weeks or so. She told me to use pea size amount 3 days a week. I am 27 years old and have gone through a break out this summer due mainly to running. My derm says the running is causing my hormones to get out of wack. I am also taking an oral antibotic which I have been taking for about a month.

My skin looks terrible today. The side I thought was clearing is bumpy and irritated. Yuck! But reading about the purging of the skin etc. helps me to stay calm.

Here is my question: I have been using benzoyal peroxide in the mornings and the nights I don't use the taz. My doc told me to continue this regimen, but is it perhaps too much. Honestly, I like the benzoyal (neutragena 2%). Seems to dry things up without overdrying.

I hope the taz is a success for me but am not feeling it today.

Old 07-15-2003, 09:42 AM   #10
    FacialDiscrimination

FacialDiscrimination HB User
    Hang in there PearPen...these types of medication takes a little time to work properly or until you see significant results. A good idea is to take pics of your face every few days with a polaroid or digital camera. Most of the time your face has improve but you don't realize it cause you look at yourself everyday. When I started Taz...I saw improvement within the first two weeks...and than I had an initial breakout..so I question it's effectiveness..but I looked carefully at my face and noticed that the bumps were getting smaller and smaller alot faster and also acne scars were smoothing out...These weren't huge noticable differences but small enough to tell that the med. was working....

Old 07-15-2003, 10:19 AM   #11
    Red Bean
    (female)

Red Bean HB User
    Hey pearpen,

Seriously hang in there - you won't regret it! I've been using taz for a while now and although it has taken a couple months I'm finally in situation where I rarely break out. At first it was weird - these little pustules kept popping up everywhere, even in places I didn't normally get zits. But then they also healed faster and eventually stopped popping up at all. Once the purging is over it's all good. And because your skin keeps peeling any superficial scars you may have are history too!

Old 07-15-2003, 06:33 PM   #12
    keysh

keysh HB User
    Does anyone have any hints for removing flaky skin without causing problems. I keep reading that my son should be very gentle in cleaning, but he has tons of dead flakes that won't go away. I bought him a Clinique coverup today. The concealer lightened the redness, but was so obvious because it was covering flaky skin.

My son has been on tazorac for 4 1/2 weeks. 3 days ago he started dabbing cleocin on the pustules. They seem to have stopped popping up each morning. I'm not sure if the taz has kicked in or if the cleocin is helping. I guess that it doesn't matter. The breakout period for taz was HORRIBLE!! It was way worse than any acne he had ever experienced. We are trying to be patient.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. This board is wonderful.

Old 07-16-2003, 05:48 AM   #13
    pearpen27

pearpen27 HB User
    As far as removing flakey skin, I would suggest expholiating (sp?) in the morning to remove the dead skin cells (very gently, though). Burt's Bees Citrus scrub is good and not too harsh. Moistrizing helps, Cetaphil makes a good one; but, I have noticed it stings the eyes, so if your son plays sports or sweats a lot, he may want to be careful to make sure it won't run in his eyes.

If you can't find Burt's Bees, try an expholiating sponge. They make them for all skin types and can be purchased at the drug store for a couple of months. Remember to only use it for 4 to 6 weeks and make sure it stays clean.

Hope this helps...
    :-)

Old 07-16-2003, 05:52 AM   #14
    pearpen27

pearpen27 HB User
    Ooops... meant to say purchased at the drug store for a couple of bucks. It is still early...

I wanted to thank every body for the responses. I feel so much better. It helps to have support and advice while going through this... Thanks again!

Old 07-16-2003, 06:01 AM   #15
    pearpen27

pearpen27 HB User
    Keysh:

I have a quick question for you... What exactly is cleocin? I understand that it is a topical but is it prescription? How does it work exactly?

Closed Thread