It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Accutane troubled!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-31-2007, 12:57 AM   #1
    ordinary10
    (female)

ordinary10 HB User
    Accutane troubled!

Just last night i had the ultimate breakdown. . . i looked in the mirror and absolutely couldn't believe that it was my face. i freaked out. i told my mom that i wasn't going back to school because i didn't want anyone to see me. all i could do was cry completely upset knowing that my face had gotten so bad that my only option now is to go on accutane. i researched it a lot and read all the other message boards. everybody says that they have clear skin now but there are all these chances of terrible side effects. i mean i desperately want my skin clear but what if in the future they find that it causes birth defects or something else. it just worries me that someday it might affect my kids or my life years after the treatment. i just keep asking myself if it's really worth it.....and i no that if it makes my skin clear it is but i just don't want to regret it. i'm so scared and upset. has anyone ever had regrets about accutane? i'm just greatly troubled and would appreciate any time of advice.

thanks-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
    lleess
    (female)

lleess HB User
    Re: Accutane troubled!

I've been there! In fact I'm there right now...I went on accutane about three years ago for the first time, and it didn't work at all. I waited about six months and then went on it again and it cleared me up, and then I started taking spirolactone which kept me clear. Then my stupid stupid doctor told me that I didn't need anything any more and now my skin is as bad as it has ever been. So I say try accutane- I never experienced any side effects at all- but just know that it may not cure you forever anyway, so if you're really worried about it, ask your doctor for an antibiotic instead.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
    leonidas
    (male)

leonidas HB User

Most derms probably err on the side of caution--not putting drugs into you unless you absolutely need them. It's good, I guess, but sometimes the results are what lleess is experiencing. I feel the same way about my derm--he's wanted to try about everything before having me go back on accutane, but it looks like that's what I'll need.

Ordinary: I think most experts would say the risk of birth defects is only if you're pregnant while taking accutane. As for other side effects, EVERY drug has potential side effects. I would say take the risk. I think most of us here know how you're feeling. It sucks, but it's the card we've been dealt, and we have to do what we can to overcome it.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
    dammie
    (female)

dammie HB User

I don't have much of an answer, i just wanted to offer my support. I know how it feels to cry because you have to look at yourself in the mirror. I'm not on accutane (YET), i've been on antibiotics for almost two months and the derm said that if this does nothing, then accutane it is. Like you, i'm a woman who hopes to have children some day. I worry a lot about the chances of birth defects and i also worry about all the other side effects. To be honest though, most days i think i really don't care, i can't feel any worse about myself. People who don't have this problem really don't understand how crappy it is. Anyway, whatever you decide, i hope everything works out well for you.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Doctors mostly worry about girls when it comes to accutane. This is because it can cause major birth defects if you should get preganant.

If there is any chance of this... you should not use accutane. Otherwise, go ahead and try it. Most of the stories you hear about accutane are urban legend.

Doctors don't worry much about boys taking accutane... there hasn't been a single case of a boy giving birth to a child with birth defects...

Old 08-31-2007, 11:29 PM   #6
    ordinary10
    (female)

ordinary10 HB User

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post. I really to appreciate it. this acne stuff can be so overwhelming especially when i've tried everything. i guess there is no other choice if i really want clear skin and i really really do. i'm so tired of hating myself that i just can't do it anymore. it's not just the whole physical stress but also emotional. i never thought that my face would get so bad and it is going to be very hard for me to get my blood drawn frequently becuz i am absolutely terrified of needles. but i guess that's just something i'm going to have to go through if i want my face to be clear. i'm going to two doctors next week to talk about accutane treament and i guess i'll just have to see. thank angain for your comments and support. it's so nice to have some place to turn to where people really do understand. i will continue to post my experience on the board. . . i'm sure that i will need constant advice. so be ready! thank you again

As always all my best wishes and support go out to all of you.
    -ordinary

Old 09-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
    Heiser
    (male)

Heiser HB User

If you are this distraught over acne then I think you need to give Accutane a try. Just imagine - when you go to sleep tonight, think - "there's a possibility that a year from now my acne can be under control"

How wonderful is that? How bad does that weekly blood test sound now?

Old 09-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
    SarahK1982
    (female)

SarahK1982 HB User

I really hope you get cleared up, Ordinary, I know how distressing it can be to look in the mirror and hate what your see. If you're scared having blood taken just close your eyes and imagine yourself with a clear face, and I'm sure it will help you get through it! Good luck x

Old 09-10-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
    ordinary10
    (female)

ordinary10 HB User

Thanks for the replies. . .my doctor actually wants to try one more thing before putting me on accutane which i was surprised that she did. But i guess i'll try this for a few months and see where i'm at. if my skin still isn't clear i think i'm just gonna ask to be put on accutane . but you're all right- if i really want clear skin i'm just gonna have to do what i have to do. this whole process sux! and is emotoinally and physically exhausting. i hope that this new round of meds work because i don't know if i can go through another disappointment. anyways thanks for the responses as always. good luck to everyone w/ your own trials....

Old 09-11-2007, 04:20 AM   #10
    theblackbird
    (male)

theblackbird HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ordinary10 View Post
    i just keep asking myself if it's really worth it.....and i no that if it makes my skin clear it is but i just don't want to regret it. i'm so scared and upset. has anyone ever had regrets about accutane? i'm just greatly troubled and would appreciate any time of advice.
    thanks-
    First of all I want to say that I know how you feel. Most people in here do. There were times in my life when I felt exactly the same after looking in the mirror. That is some time ago now, but I can still recall it like it was yesterday. There's not much I can do to ease your pain, but know that I've been there as well.

I took Accutane twice: first time when I was 17, second time when I was 22. Simply put I would recommend you give it a try as well. I'm now 26, and Accutane didn't do any damage (at least: not that I know of).

A reality to consider tho: nobody really knows what the long term effect of this drug is. It's very difficult to isolate a cause of something. So many other factors may be involved when people get something bad. Just know that taking this drug might be a risk.

I still would recommend taking Accutane tho. Basically it's a choice: a life full of acne and its psychological consequences and the certainty you don't harm your body, OR taking Accutane and get rid of acne with a slight risk. (You could also try alternative approaches: see below).

I'm not a woman, and I don't want any children, so I'm probably not in the position to say this, but I value my own life above giving life to a child... really. From my point of view it would be a small price to pay.

Anyway, there are millions of people taking Accutane, and only a small minority get serious side effects. And face it: we're living in a world with foods contaminated with metals, PCB's, nitrates, pesticides, we breath exhaust gasses from transportation means, hundred thousands of people die in car accidents, etc... Now... that stuff is risk. Living life is a risk on its own. Accutane only adds a very very small additional risk. In return you get your life back. Think about that.

On another note: I have found that alternative therapies like balancing food and taking a combination of Omega-3, Zinc, Vit. A, Vit. B5 keeps me clear. If you have the patience you could experiment with these. It will cost you time tho to find out what causes your acne, because it's different in every person. But that time may be well spent, and it will be healthier than taking Accutane.

Good luck!

Last edited by theblackbird; 09-11-2007 at 04:22 AM.

Closed Thread