It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Cystic and Hyperpigmentation problems?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
    stippl1
    (male)

stippl1 HB User
    Cystic and Hyperpigmentation problems?

I was wondering how long cystic acne and hyperpigmentation spots take to heal? I have had the same cyst for about 13 months and the same hyperpigmentation spot for about 15 months. Neither have shown signs of going away. I recently got a new cyst about 6 months ago (but this one is improving, albeit, very slowly). The one that does not change--I made a monumental mistake with it. I tried to pop it, thinking it had pus, but I know I made it 1000x worse and this is why it won't heal (cause its deep in the dermis). I have rued this decision ever since.

I never had problems in high school and my first year in college. But I dramatically had a horrible 2 year of college, acne-wise. I have a lot of scars I did not have a 1.5 years ago. Currently, my active acne is almost nonexistent to the occasional pimple (apart from the two cysts and hyperpigmentation spot).

Have any of y'all had problems with cysts that just don't seem to heal? Or red spots that remain for really long time? I read somewhere that hyperpigmentation can take as long as two years to return to normal. I hope that it doesn't take any longer than that.

My regiment is washing 3x with 10% BP, Septra (Bactrim) antibiotic twice a day, and Ziana 6% gel at night.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
    leonidas
    (male)

leonidas HB User
    Re: Cystic and Hyperpigmentation problems?

The best thing for cysts, as far as I know, are things like antibiotics, which you are already on. I don't think topical stuff does anything for cysts. They're too deep. While on antibiotics I don't think I've had a cyst last more than a couple of weeks--sometimes only days.

I don't think I've had any spots last as long as two years. Sometimes a month, yes. Supposedly vitamin A is good at helping the skin repair itself. You might want to think about a vitamin A supplement. And/or maybe a vitamin e lotion--something I haven't tried.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
    stippl1
    (male)

stippl1 HB User

Well the thing is, I have been on antibiotics for about five years and thats what kept my skin clear. I was using the antibiotic called ceftin. Now, on Septra (Bactrim). I think I might have built up an immunity to the antibiotic after taking it so long. I think thats why I started having bad acne for about 1 year. But, nontheless, I have been taking antibiotics all the while with these cysts and hyperpigmentation spot.

Any other people have hyperpigmentation problems? I know it happens mostly in people of color. I am caucasian, however. anyone?

Last edited by stippl1; 09-10-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
    JesseA
    (male)

JesseA HB User

cystic acne- Acne Getaway 101E (about $6-30USD)
    hyperpigmentation- Obagi Nu derm CLEAR bleaching cream (about $70USD)

Old 09-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
    theblackbird
    (male)

theblackbird HB User

[QUOTE=stippl1;3201169]
    Have any of y'all had problems with cysts that just don't seem to heal? Or red spots that remain for really long time? I read somewhere that hyperpigmentation can take as long as two years to return to normal. I hope that it doesn't take any longer than that.
    QUOTE]

I can't say anything about hyperpigmentation, but lesions that don't seem to heal make me think it might have something to do with a shortage of something. I, for example, sometimes have zinc shortage. I notice this when wounds or acne lesions don't heal fast enough.

I'm not saying that a shortage is your problem, I'm just saying it might be. A lack of vitamins, minerals or essential oils do a lot of strange stuff to people.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
    stippl1
    (male)

stippl1 HB User

I recently started taking a men's multivitamin from GNC cause the Septra makes me have zero appetite (so i need supplemental vitamins to keep my body healthy).

If that is the problem, maybe it will correct itself. But, waiting for them to fade sucks.

Will the bleaching cream bleach the surrounding areas of the hyperpigmentation? Cause my spot is not very large and keeping the cream just on the spot might be difficult.

Last edited by stippl1; 09-11-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:05 AM   #7
    theblackbird
    (male)

theblackbird HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stippl1 View Post
    I recently started taking a men's multivitamin from GNC cause the Septra makes me have zero appetite (so i need supplemental vitamins to keep my body healthy).

If that is the problem, maybe it will correct itself. But, waiting for them to fade sucks.
    Keep in mind that multivitamins do not contain everything your body needs. It lacks a lot of stuff, like essential oils, amino acids, fibres, etc... Do not think for a second that 1 pill can supply you with everything you need. My acne did not disappear by taking multivitamins. While it can help, it most probably won't make it go away.

Closed Thread