It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Ice cream/Acne connection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
    kikki277
    (female)

kikki277 HB User
    Ice cream/Acne connection

Has anyone else found that ice cream contributes to their acne???

At the beginning of the summer I ate lots of creamies and was constantly breaking out in cysts. not just any old zit, these were enormous volcanoes that would swell so much I'd look like I had a horn on my head. I was so embarrassed and uncomfortable seeing anyone, even my own mother (I'm 29 by the way) I have been getting these cysts for years now and have tried lots of natural remedies, including keeping iodine out of my diet (which did help). Anyway, a friend mentioned to me that she read in some medical book that ice cream causes cysts. Since then I haven't had any ice cream or CYSTS!!!!! (still have regular acne though, but the cysts were the biggest problem (literally-hahaha)

I'm really missing my vanilla creamies

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
    Awakening
    (female)

Awakening HB User
    Re: Ice cream/Acne connection

Well, ice cream is dairy and dairy is a big factor in either causing acne, or totally aggravating it. It's filled with extra hormones and other gross things, plus ice cream has a lot of sugar added as well as unnecessary oils - transfats. That is why it's so bad for the skin. That goes for milk, cheese..etc. But hey, there are alternatives! If you still like ice cream you can eat the non-dairy kinds they sell or better yet..you can make your own. I LOVE ice cream too and I make my own almond milk and cream, so what I do is I mix it up with fruit and such to get it kind of thicker and place it in the freezer, I add honey if I feel like a sweeter treat. It works pretty well! Just search it and they got some home recipes on how to do it. Very simple, cheap and totally yummy.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:01 AM   #3
    theblackbird
    (male)

theblackbird HB User

Ice cream = sugar = bad for health = bad for acne. Everything that contains lots of sugar and saturated fats won't do much good, and may well worsen your acne condition. A lot of dermatologists deny this connection, but in many people (including me) this is so true.

So what's the drill: fruit, vegetables, fibres and lots of water. I can also recommend some supplements. Personally I take an Omega-3 supplement (3g/day) with (biological) zinc (50mg/day) and copper(2mg/day). Copper is needed to prevent defeciency of it, due to high intake of zinc. My zinc pills include some Vit.A and Vit.B5 to help absorbing and transporting zinc.

Omega-3 is the most important supplement here. I started taking it and all breakouts just stopped. Important: a healthy diet is important! Omega-3 won't do anything if you keep eating saturated fats (hamburgers, cookies, you know... all the good tasting stuff).

If you try this and it helps, you can eat some icecream without getting new breakouts. Just keep in mind that if you fall back into old habits, old problems will arise again.

On an endnote: acne is a very complex disease with a lot of causing factors, that vary in everyone. My solution may not work for you. The beneficial effect of zinc on acne is scientifically proven.

Hope this somewhat helps.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
    kikki277
    (female)

kikki277 HB User

Thanks theblackbird and awakening for the info. I really appreciate it.

Closed Thread