It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Does Proactiv really work?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
    nidcon06
    (female)

nidcon06 HB User
    Does Proactiv really work?

Does Proactiv really work? I don't have bad ance but i do break out on my chin alot. Just want some feedback if you have used it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
    vida77
    (female)

vida77 HB User
    Re: Does it work?

worked for me. started using it years ago when my acne was worse off and it helped my out tremendously. havent stopped since. my face is clear and now i only randomly get a little pimple/zit.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
    smith07
    (female)

smith07 HB User

Nope All it did was make my face red. All it is is benzoyl peroxide, which has been around for about 30 years. I remember using it (Oxy10) back in high school. Didn't work then, either. BUT... we're all different and it might work great for you--it's worth a try. You might want to go to the drug store and buy a cheaper version to try first. Good luck!

Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
    Chris615
    (male)

Chris615 HB User

It didnt work for me. It made my skin better for alittle while and then just stoped working

Old 10-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
    elsyho
    (female)

elsyho HB User
    Re: Does Proactiv really work?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nidcon06 View Post
    Does Proactiv really work? I don't have bad ance but i do break out on my chin alot. Just want some feedback if you have used it!
    It has worked wonders for me. Not only was my face acne-rific, but I also had blackheads and under-the-skin bumps all over (especially on my forehead). Just like those super-peppy commercial people say, I really did see an improvement within a few days of using it, but after a few months of using it, I saw the most improvement. My skin is really smooth now, and of course, I still get the occasional pimple, but it's so occasional compared to how I used to be.

And as a previous poster said, yes, the active ingredient is benzoyl peroxide, which can be found in drugstore products, such as Oxy10. However, I've read that 2.5% is the highest concentration that is necessary, and though higher concentrations (like the 10% in Oxy10) are legal, they don't necessarily work any better than the lower concentrations. People just tend to think higher numbers mean better product. Sort of like thinking if two Tylenol help, why won't four work better!?

However, I will counter that with though benzoyl peroxide can be found in other products, this product isn't just plain old benzoyl peroxide. There's the exfoliating face wash, the toner (alcohol free), and the lotion. The three steps really do seem to work together (I've tried going lotion free for awhile, and the system works so well together, it's not worth skipping a step if you can help it). Of course, adding a moisturizer is good for any skin type (getting stuff specially made for oily skin if you have it is a must), and I have found that doing ProActiv plus using a moisturizer has made such a difference for my oily, acne prone skin.

I have actually had strangers compliment my skin before...very strange for me considering what my skin looked like in high school.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
    djaqib
    (male)

djaqib HB User

i used proacitve for some..it helps temporary..well it did helped me temporary my acne would go away for 2 3 days n than come back

Old 10-15-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
    jazzy87
    (female)

jazzy87 HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Does Proactiv really work?

No, Hun it didnt work for me, it might for you!! not every person has the same skin type right? Try it, if u want 2 all u r gonna lose is $19(cancel subscription anytime)!!
    Hope I helped..

Old 10-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #8
    elsyho
    (female)

elsyho HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzy87 View Post
    No, Hun it didnt work for me, it might for you!! not every person has the same skin type right? Try it, if u want 2 all u r gonna lose is $19(cancel subscription anytime)!!
    Hope I helped..
    Actually, if you do their trial thing, you have a certain amount of time to send back the product bottles (even if they're empty) for a refund. I'm not sure if they still do full-size trials or if they're only doing one-month sizes now, but look for the "two month" special offer (for me, those bottles last three months; I err on the side of frugality, don't use nearly as much as the infomercial actors do!)

Old 10-16-2007, 04:51 PM   #9
    nalphee
    (female)

nalphee HB User

It didn't work for me. It actaully made my skin worse. I had cysts so bad after using it that I could barely open my mouth or smile.

But, try it out. Everyone is different.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
    MissyMeg05
    (female)

MissyMeg05 HB User

I tried Proactiv...it kind of worked for me. It made my skin really really oily, so I think it brought it to the surface. I started to notice some improvement...the problem was that I missed a single day of treatment and my skin flared again.

I think something important to note is the fact that they ARE willing to give you one to two months free...you can bet it won't be a permanent cure, and if it is, it will take an awful long time to achieve the results you want.

Basically, Proactiv is three components: benzoyl peroxide wash, moisturizer/astringent and benzoyl peroxide cream...all of these products can be purchased over the counter, probably for cheaper than the kit. I know the cream I found that worked the best was from the dollar store...

It's just a matter of finding out what works for you.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
    karm0099
    (female)

karm0099 HB User

No it didn't work for me. I just went off bcp pills, so I am breaking out with cystic acne. I bought a book on ****** call The Acne Cure and following this plan has done WONDERS FOR MY SKIN!! The Dr. that wrote it teaches how to treat the different stages of your acne seperately. You can get the items needed at your local drug store. It has reduced inflamation by 80%, my skin is soft and healthier regardless of the few pimples I still have. It explains what is going on, and what to do to treat it (drug free) in terms that are easy to understand. Get this book, I am 40 and have been battling acne my whole adult life, not even a dermatologist could help as much as this book has. I have been doing the steps outlined in his book for about 10 days and my skin is clearing !!! Good luck

Closed Thread