It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Why wont my derm suggest spiro??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
    MusicElle
    (female)

MusicElle HB User
    Why wont my derm suggest spiro??

I have been battling acne sinse I was thirteen. Im 21 now and I've been to many dermatologist who threw every antibiotic, topical treatment and face wash you can thing of at me, none of them worked. My acne is hormonal the only thing it responds to is the birth control pill. When Im not on birth control my face is always broken out but it gets signifigantly worse on the week before my peroid. Now that Im on birth control I only break out the week before my period which is much better but not great. My derm wants me to go on Accutane, I would really like to try spiro first. If the spiro dosn't work then I'll try Accutane. Is it out of line for me to ask the derm to try spiro before accutane.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
    kesae
    (female)

kesae HB User
    Re: Why wont my derm suggest spiro??

I think it is safer to try spiro first. To me it is more of a hassle to deal with accutane. Ask you dermatologist for spiro.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
    BigFootballfans
    (female)

BigFootballfans HB User

I had to ask my dermo to put my daughter on Sprio -- she also suggested Accutane first. But I told her that I wanted Accutane as a last resort (and besides my daughter acne is not that bad). Sometimes you have to do your own research and ask for what you want instead of relying on the dermo to know for you.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
    MusicElle
    (female)

MusicElle HB User

Kind of a long story, I was on Ortho-Tri cyclen and it did wonders for my acne, but it made me gain weight, I went to my primary care doc and she switched me to Seasonale because Im anemic so she wanted to stop my period, after 3weeks on seasonale my face was a mess, I went back to my primary care doc because my derm is an idoit and I wont see him anymore, I asked her for spiro, she gave me yasmin I just picked it up today, I'll try this for 3 months if my skin does not clear then I get the spiro from my primary care doctor. So in the end I will get the spiro, if I need it. I really hope yasmin works, it is supposed to help me lose weight as well.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Ask to be referred to an endocrinologist. Since they specialize in hormones, they tend to be more familiar with Spiro and it's antiandrogenic effects. GL!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
    Dannaboo
    (female)

Dannaboo HB User

I just remembered this health board and all the years I spent searching for an answer to my adult acne. Mine was hormonal. I always swore I'd come back and tell everyone if I found success. I tried antibiotics, retin A, all sorts of birth control pills, you name it. I had taken spiro once before, but didn't feel it was doing anything for me and stopped after 3 months. After a few years, I decided to give it a try again and this time stick with it for up to a year. At first (4 months or so) I didn't notice that much change, but slowly, my face began to clear. My oily skin toned itself down and I was able to wear makeup all day without any problems. I am 45 and going through perimenopause and the acne was the most unbearable part to me, especially the big under the skin bumps. Anyway, after my face cleared I forgot about the board, but I have come back tonight to write and say if you are given spiro, try up to 100 MG twice daily. I found that the maximum is what worked the best for me. I have had no side effects and it has been just short of a miraculous cure for over two years now. I truly didn't think it was possible. I just wanted you guys to know spiro can work, but it takes a long time and you must be deligent with taking your medicine. I wish you the best!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
    MusicElle
    (female)

MusicElle HB User

thank you for the posts, I just wanted to update that the Yasmin has cleared my skin. Usually for me I have to be on higher estrogen pills to control my acne Ortho tri cyclen has 35mcg of estrogen and it did wonders for my skin but I still broke out during my period and it made me gain weight. I was a little aprehensive about trying yasmin because it has 30mcg of estrogen and every time I go on a pill with less than 35mcg my acne comes back. Fortunatly Yasmin has cleared my skin and it monophasic so hopefully by skipping my period with it I will avoid the "period breakout" as for the weight issue I have been working out alot and had no results while on Ortho tri cyclen so if I don't lose weight in the next few months Im off birth control and on spiro.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
    Dannaboo
    (female)

Dannaboo HB User

I tried Yasmin too, but I couldn't stay on it long enough to know if it was going to work. During month 4 my blood pressure had risen so much that I was going to have to start taking blood pressure meds and I felt horrible. Yasmin contains spiro, so maybe that's why it's working for you. Good luck and health to you!

Closed Thread