It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Which is better? Benzoyl Peroxide or Salicylic Acid?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
    sdllew3
    (female)

sdllew3 HB User
    Which is better? Benzoyl Peroxide or Salicylic Acid?

Hello, I have been fighting acne ever since I was about 13 years old. I am now going on 19 and still fighting it. I used Proactiv for about 3 years. It worked wonderfully until it seemed like my skin got immune to it and it felt like it stopped working for me. I have been trying so many different over the counter products since I stopped using Proactiv but it seems nothing works good enough for my acne prone oily skin. Salicylic acid only makes it worse and I'm not too sure if the benzoyl peroxide is even working for me or not? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell me which product should be more effective for oily skin?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User
    Re: Which is better? Benzoyl Peroxide or Salicylic Acid?

BP is better than SA, but they are best together.... use BP at bedtime, and SA (ie Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Moisturizer) in the morning.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
    bluefirelily85
    (female)

bluefirelily85 HB User

They are totally different medications. Salicylic acid is used to shed the top layer of skin cells faster, preventing them from clogging pores. Benzoyl peroxide is used to kill the bacteria that causes acne. That is why it would be best to use both, but don't overdo it all at the beginning, or you'll have other problems like dryness and peeling. Hope this helps, I had problems for years and am pre-med so I've had a LOT of experience with all this acne stuff

Old 11-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
    karm0099
    (female)

karm0099 HB User

Thats right BP and SA both, but seperately as each treats a different stage of acne. Never use more than 2% SA or 2.5% BP, higher % will just irritate your skin. Get this book, The Acne Cure on ****** used for about $1, it teaches the different stages of acne and how to treat them seperately. At night wash with a gentle SA product, then use glycolic acid (can get online or at Rite Aid $16 AHA Alphy Hydroxy Acid 13%) leave on a minute then rinse off, this will unclog your pores to let the BP in. Next apply 2.5% BP, cool the skin with ice first which will make your pores open to the medication, leave skin cool & wet and apply a thin layer of BP, then put an ice pack on your face where your broke out for 10 minutes before you go to sleep - leave the BP on. The ice calms the inflamation, and the glycolic acid also has anti-inflamitory benefits. Make sure you use an oil free moisturizer, try Purpose by Johnson & Johnson w/15SPF to keep you skin calm and protected. Good luck.

Closed Thread