It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Six months antibiotics for acne?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #1
    SteffiM
    (female)

SteffiM HB User
    Six months antibiotics for acne?

The doctor suggested that for my brother in law who we are currently looking after. He is fifteen and his acne is getting him down.

Does anyone have experiences with this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 05:24 AM   #2
    amo
    (female)

amo HB User
    Re: Six months antibiotics for acne?

I did a three month round of antibiotics, and it worked for me. My acne was definately the result of internal issues. The antibiotics got my skin to the point where I could then address it topically. It's great for me to know that if it comes back, I have something that works for me. Acne is so different for everybody, and I assume that if his acne improves sooner than 6 months, the Dr. will take him off the antibiotics. That is a long time, I think.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
    SteffiM
    (female)

SteffiM HB User

Oh thanks for that. We'll ask for the three month course first then.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User

Very bad idea, for him and society... he will be colonised with multiple resistent germs at the end of the course, and society will suffer due to an increase in the pool of antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Very few derms in Australia use antibiotics in acne, benzoyl peroxide, teretinoin (Retin A) and Roacutane are the mainstays here

Old 11-03-2007, 01:31 AM   #5
    SteffiM
    (female)

SteffiM HB User

He does use all them. Don't work. He never had antibiotics for anything, so resistance is unlikely first-time, right? Especially if the acne contributes to insecurity?

Old 11-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
    karm0099
    (female)

karm0099 HB User

Get him some Frutels, all natural vit therapy for acne. You can find them online and they do work. I've been on antibiotics for acne and don't think they really work over the long term - good luck

Old 11-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteffiM View Post
    He does use all them. Don't work. He never had antibiotics for anything, so resistance is unlikely first-time, right? Especially if the acne contributes to insecurity?

The selective preasure starts selecting for resistant bacteria from day one..... if he develops a systemic infection, it is far more likely to be resistant to antibiotic tratment, and also, valuable antibiotics used for treating lifethreatening infections are rendered less useful to society because they are squandered on teenage zits.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User

"Presentation: A 16-year-old boy was referred to a hospital emergency department by his general practitioner after presenting with fever (39ºC), rigors and left-sided pleuritic chest pain.

Investigations and history: A chest x-ray showed left lower lobe pneumonia. The boy reported that he was allergic to amoxycillin and cephalosporins (as a child he had developed a rash to these agents). He had been taking daily doxycycline for the previous three months to treat mild acne, which had not responded to self-selected, over-the-counter preparations.

Management and course: He was treated with intravenous erythromycin because of his reported β-lactam allergies, but continued to be unwell, with ongoing fevers and rigors.

The day after admission, both sputum and blood cultures grew Streptococcus pneumoniae. After 48 hours, antibiotic sensitivity results showed that the isolate was intermediate-resistant to penicillin, and resistant to both erythromycin and tetracycline. The antibiotic treatment was changed to vancomcyin.

His fever resolved over the next 12 hours, and he made a slow but full recovery over the next week.
    This patient developed a life-threatening infection with an antibiotic-resistant strain of S. pneumoniae. Because he was likely to be allergic to β-lactams, few options remained for therapy.

If not allergic to β-lactams, he could have been treated with intravenous penicillin, which remains effective therapy for pneumonia and septicaemia caused by S. pneumoniae strains with intermediate penicillin resistance.

Carriage of the resistant strain probably resulted from the long-term doxycycline therapy. Long-term use of any antibiotic for acne is likely to select resistant strains not only of Propionibacterium acnes, but also of other bacteria carried by the patient. Because doxycycline is broad-spectrum, its use helps select strains resistant to other antibiotics, such as erythromycin.

Mild to moderate acne can usually be successfully treated with combined topical therapy with benzoyl peroxide and retinoic acid, after discussion with a GP on optimal application.21 Antibiotics should not be prescribed unless absolutely necessary."

Medical Journal of Australia, Sept 2002

Old 11-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
    SteffiM
    (female)

SteffiM HB User

Righty. That article actually convinced me that it would be the right therapy for him. His acne is NOT mild and he is not allergic to anything. I said he hasn't used antibiotics yet, made mistake. He used antibiotic creams for impetigo.

Maybe it's odd to understand, but society owes a lot to this boy. So a three months course of antibiotics for severe acne will be good.

he hasn't been to school for about a year now, the acne plays part in that. The other reason was that his mother couldn't get him and his wee sister to school, or provide properly for them due to mental health issues.

His acne is severe and sore and prevents him from doing what other kids his age do.

It's not just a few zits

But let's not turn this into a debate, okay?

Old 11-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User

OK, my bad... has anybody considered Roaccutane?

Old 11-04-2007, 01:40 AM   #11
    SteffiM
    (female)

SteffiM HB User

Do you mean isotretinoin? Tried that, but the results were rather mediocre...

Old 11-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #12
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User

Oraly, or as a topical application?

Old 11-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #13
    SteffiM
    (female)

SteffiM HB User

It was administered orally.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #14
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User

Poor kid, he has my sympathy.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:17 AM   #15
    SteffiM
    (female)

SteffiM HB User

The thing is also that HE has so much hope in this treatment. That might make it more successful.

And it's not just the way it looks, it's the pain, too.

Closed Thread