It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Ladies: to minimize breakouts, avoid makeup with talc!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
    Sue21
    (female)

Sue21 HB User
    Exclamation Ladies: to minimize breakouts, avoid makeup with talc!

Just a helpful hint....

I used to use Covergirl pressed powder to make my oily skin more matte, and occasionaly used the Covergirl powder foundation to cover up red scars.

I recently switched to Physicians Formula mineral wear loose powder and mineral liquid foundation. All Physicians Formula mineral wear has NO TALC.

What a difference!

I just switched 3 days ago and I see a huge difference already!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #2
    surrealmeal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

surrealmeal HB User
    Re: Ladies: to minimize breakouts, avoid makeup with talc!

Interesting. Any idea why talc causes breakouts?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
    Sue21
    (female)

Sue21 HB User

Physicians Formula advertises that because it's talc-free, it's good for acne-prone skin.

Why does talc cause breakouts? I think that talc clogs pores and therefore leads to breakouts.

I also just did a quick Internet search, and once source stated that talc can be a "block to healthy exfoliation and can be an irritant to skin". Interesting!

Old 01-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
    surrealmeal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

surrealmeal HB User

Hmm, I did a little bit more research. Yeah--supposedly talc is a carcinogen and can indeed clog pores, as well as be overly-drying. I have avoided talcum baby powders ever since I read a couple years ago that talc can put baby girls at risk for developing ovarian cancer later on in life.

Anyway, your post got me intrigued so I looked into the PF powder and it sounds really good. I found impressive ratings of it on several different websites. I am an on-again, off-again fan of mineral make-up (Aromaleigh, Everyday Minerals) but I always find myself straying because I find the loose powders a bit inconvenient and tricky.

Long story short, I got excited when I saw that Physician's Formula made a pressed mineral powder so I went ahead and tried it. So far it is perfect! I got it in 'translucent light' and the finish is great--sheer-medium coverage and nearly matte. It immediately reduces redness.

I really like that it contains zinc oxide, which is something that my skin seems to like. It also doubles as a natural sunscreen (SPF 16).

Granted, I haven't been using it long enough for me to give it a completely fair rating, but since I have used mineral makeup before I am pretty sure this will continue to work great for me.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Closed Thread