It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• The money and time involved in trying to get rid acne. Your thoughts?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
    hyperchicky
    (female)

hyperchicky HB User
    The money and time involved in trying to get rid acne. Your thoughts?

I'm 38 years old and have had acne since I was 10. Since I lost my job a month ago, I've really had to cut down on my expenses not to mention that I have had time to reflect on my present life and past, quite a bit.

It's not fair that most of us have had acne our entire lives it seems, but it's obvious that there is an internal issue that is functioning incorrectly and after 28 years of treating the symptoms of this internal issue with antibiotics, creams, pills, I don't know what the hell to do anymore.

Lately I have been cutting down on the meds I was taking... I stopped taking the Minocycline to see if I could just use the Tazorac and some less expensive soap because quite frankly, nothing works in the long run for me, maybe for a few months, but that's it, then my body takes over with a vengence and I'm back to square one.

I am reading a lot of posts from men and women who have the SAME exact stories as I do. People my age who have been suffering with this crap for their entire lives, like me, hoping to find the answer from others in the same boat. The only difference I find is that i just don't let it stop me from looking at people and going about my daily life. It's so normal that most of the time I don't even worry what people are thinking, I just tune out their thoughts.

Anyway, the reason I started writing this is because I've been reading about a few things that seem obvious to me but maybe I'm wrong. One question I see raised is why a med seems to be making the acne worse. Some of the meds (i.e. Retins, Tazorac, etc.) actually make the skin turnover faster and if I'm not mistaken, the skin goes through a normal shedding cycle in a 30 day period, so, when your acne is getting worse, it's because your skin's shedding period is speeding up, pushing out all the gunk quicker and that's why the acne seems to be worse. Maybe it takes a few months to get all of that gunk out of our skin? If you try cutting out sweets, dairy, etc., your skins shedding cycle is not necessarily speeding up, but it will push out the garbage that maybe the sweets and dairy and putting in there and eventually your skin will push it all out, maybe over a 3 or 4 month period?

I know my biggest acne culprit is sweets. I don't care who says it's not, but when I was a teenager, if I cut out sweets, my acne would go away. So obviously, when I use a cream or pill to treat my acne, but I still eat sweets, the internal effects will find a way to surface eventually (maybe that's why the pills, etc.) don't work for very long?

I'm rambling here, I know. I should, at 38 years old, stop eating sweets to see if once again, my acne will cure. I have lost a lot of will power now that I'm older, cutting out sweets just doesn't seem worth it to me. How sad, huh? With the Tazorac, my acne has gotten better, but now I'm getting the big painful bumps under my skin (is this cystic acne????) that never materialize into a pus, just clear liquid that will come out if I try to relieve the pressure (which as we all know, only makes it worse). Perhaps if I cut out sweets/dairy along with the Tazorac that's speeding up the shedding cycle, I'll have found the "cure"?

Also, ladies...I have tried Spiro and it did remove all of the oil from my skin but, I just couldn't stand taking medicine every single day, twice a day. I don't like living my life going to the pharmacy, getting prescriptions, etc. and thinking that I will have to do this for another 20 years, when I'm nearing 60!!! Ugh!

So, I sure would love to find out why my body does what it does, and what I can do to stop masking the symptoms and stop giving the drug companies my hard earned money.

Has anyone else been fed up with this vicious cycle and tried focusing on the internal cause for a few months or so (meaning, you didn't just give up dairy for one month and it didn't help). I'm thinking no one has, or else why would you be here reading how to cure this??

I hope to hear others thoughts and why they think they have acne, what is causing theirs, and if they are fed up spending their whole lives masking the symptoms, only to find that it never lasts for long.

Please respond with your stories. I would love to read them (especially since I have the time!!!).

=)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User
    Re: The money and time involved in trying to get rid acne. Your thoughts?

My thoughts:
    Money: It's left me poor.
    Time: It's left me tired.

I'm 33 and have had acne since I was 10. I got chicken pox in 5th grade and when I got better I had bumps on my face that never went away. Turned out they were my first pimples, and it was all downhill from there. I had severe acne from 13 into my twenties when I did two courses of accutane. Since then it's been mild to moderate but never clear.

Insurance does not cover a lot of things. It didn't cover accutane when I first did it because it was a newer treatment. That first course of accutane cost me over $1500 total.

Antibiotic treatment for years--I'm positive this has something to do with why I now have fibromyalgia and a chronic vaginal condition called Desquamative Inflammatory Vaginosis.

Name an acne treatment, prescription or otherwise. I've done IT ALL. And I give every new regimen a fair shake, six months minimum to see how my body responds.

I do not touch sugar and haven't for years(which gets much easier after a while). I've tried gluten free, dairy free, etc, all for at least six months. I still break out. I take all the supplements daily and have never missed a day.

My acne is hormonal. I haven't found anything that could trick my hormones well enough to "cure" my acne. Birth control helped slightly, but I still broke out once a month along the chin and jawline.

I started retin-a a month ago and have started to clear up a bit, but I swear my skin is a lot oilier now. I'm starting spironolactone this week and just praying to God it works.

So that's my take. I hope to hear everyone else's!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
    hyperchicky
    (female)

hyperchicky HB User

Funny that you mentioned the chicken pox... when I broke out for the first time, I was 10 and my mom had me stay home from school because she thought I had the chickenpox! Turns out it was just my first bout with acne that would last a lifetime.

Wow, all those diet changes to no avail? That just sucks. I do believe acne can be hormonal, and for women, yes, the spiro blocks some of the androgens (male hormones) but aren't there plenty of men who have those hormones that don't break out? I'm just not getting it. The spironolactone will help considerably with the oil, taking it twice a day is kind of a pain but I suppose to many people, it's well worth it. An ARNP at my OB/GYN prescribed mine and I believe I was taking 100 mg twice a day. She retired and my regular family physician was very hesitant on prescribing my spiro, she would only give me a 25 mg dose. I think you will be happy with the spiro.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User

The way one doctor described it to me, some people are particularly sensitive to androgens (or some particular hormone) and therefore are prone to acne, while some poeple are not sensitive to it and are clear. My hormone blood test came back fine, but he said I might not have an imbalance but just be particularly sensitive.
    But who knows? People have had acne for a million years and there's still no "cure" or definitive "cause" known for it.
    I wouldn't say you should abandon the dietary change ideas just because they didn't work for me or anyone else. Who knows, maybe one particular thing is your "trigger" for acne. So many people say giving up dairy cleared their skin. Didn't do squat for me, but my acne might be caused by something different.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
    Mandi101
    (female)

Mandi101 HB User

My opinion is that eventually it has to go away! I can't see it being here forever!! my problem is that I just got acne at 25 which my thought its hormonal so I now have my pimples under control and now I have red marks/spots to get rid of. My problem is too is that I have had peels done and tried peels from online research and none of them worked and I was out 500 or more. So my conclusion is to buy cleanser and products that you know will work for you and your skin and you do not have to buy expensive products for them to work!!

I am on a new diet and it cleanses your system so I got a few pimples when I first started it but now I haven't had any new ones..just the lingering red marks..that I hope go away someday! I found that if I stick to taking fish oil pills, vitamins, drink lots of water everyday and try to eat fairly healthy my skin looks and feels healthy! I think diet does have a role in your skin problems but not all of it. Just try to take care of your skin and moisturize and tone.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
    Mandi101
    (female)

Mandi101 HB User

I forgot to say that I have tried medications such as differin and minocycline and as soon as I stopped those, my pimples have not appeared back since. Sometimes I think if you overly medicate your skin it freaks out and its only way of reacting to it is for it to break out.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
    hyperchicky
    (female)

hyperchicky HB User

My daughter also got acne at an early age... 9 or 10. Interesting because no one else in my family has acne except for me and my daughter. Unlike my parents did with me, I have done everything I can to help my daughter clear her skin and she does have a regimen that works well. She is on birth control and minocycline. She was using Tazorac for a couple of years but since i lost my job, I asked her to try a clearasil type product and after a month of this, her skin is still nice and clear. It took a lot of messing around with products to find a regimen that worked for her. I can't take the pill and taking an antibiotic twice a day made me sick. I'm really just resigning myself to continuing to have crappy skin since I can't seem to find anything that works. I've lived with it for 28 years, I don't know anything different.

I notice so many people on here with acne stories, is it just me or have others noticed this too, where are the people with acne out on the street??? I never seem to run into anyone with skin like mine.

Closed Thread