It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• question about spiro and bcp

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User
    question about spiro and bcp

I hate birth control pills and have terrible side effects from them, so I lied to my derm and told him I am taking generic ortho tri-cyclen to get him to prescribe me spironolactone. (For some reason he insists I have to be on bcps to take spiro. I know there are risks if you get pregnant, but there are other birth control methods, so I think he just is holding fast to some old way of doing things.)
    Anyway, he gave me 30 days worth of spiro and said to come back in a month to have my blood and bp checked. As far as I know the blood work will just be to test for potassium levels, but is there any way he can tell from a blood test that I'm not really on the ortho tri-cyclen?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User
    Re: question about spiro and bcp

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiredpoet View Post
    I hate birth control pills and have terrible side effects from them, so I lied to my derm and told him I am taking generic ortho tri-cyclen to get him to prescribe me spironolactone. (For some reason he insists I have to be on bcps to take spiro. I know there are risks if you get pregnant, but there are other birth control methods, so I think he just is holding fast to some old way of doing things.)
    Anyway, he gave me 30 days worth of spiro and said to come back in a month to have my blood and bp checked. As far as I know the blood work will just be to test for potassium levels, but is there any way he can tell from a blood test that I'm not really on the ortho tri-cyclen?

The blood test will just check your potassium levels. I don't think it will show anything else. I have read lately that spiro can adversely affect a male fetus sexual development but even that is riskier later in pregnancy than the early months. It's not like taking accutane and the pregnancy problems that creates. I have read that if you stop taking spiro as soon as you find out you are pregnant that there is little risk to the developing fetus. Just FYI. I am not a doctor obviously and not advocating taking spiro while preg. I just thought that was interesting cause esp. when some docs are so adamant about being on bc pills with spiro.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User

Thanks for the response! I think some (male) derms get really weird about how spiro can cause menstrual irregularities. He kept stressing how being on bcp would counteract the possible heavier periods or breast tenderness caused by spiro, but the way he's so insistant about taking bcp you'd think he thinks an irregular period is a horrible side effect. You can tell he's never had one, lol. I've never been regular, even on bcp--in fact, I've tried a bunch of bcps over the last 20 years and my pms was always worse on them than when I didn't take them.

I just don't want him to stop the spiro because I'm so excited to try it and see if it works for me for both acne (which is pretty much under control now with retin-a, but I still get pms breakouts) and especially for the excess facial hair I've had since puberty. Even though it's blonde you can still see it because it's very course. (on a side note, I hate when people, esp doctors, say oh you're lucky it's blonde. Ever see a blonde man with a beard or mustache? It's just as visible as anyone's!)

Old 07-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
    JuneStar
    (female)

JuneStar HB User

I had the SAME problems with hair and acne! I have PCOS and my doctor refused to put me on Spiro without birth control, despite me not being sexually active.
    Birth control makes me horribly sick, and the side effects are more negative than positive.
    How did your run with Spiro go?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
    WhenItRains
    Veteran
    (female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

Junestar,this thread is from 2008.
    It may still be active,but I don't know.

I just started on Spiro too though.My doctor didn't give me a hard time about Birth control,but I have been married 13 years and my husband had a vasectomy 12 years ago after our daughter was born.She knew I don't plan on having any more children and that getting pregnant wasn't an issue for me.
    I think they have to make sure you won't sue them if you do get pregnant and try to blame something happening to the baby on them.
    Also for some people spiro really messes up their periods,so that is why the birth control helps regulate them.
    Spiro is no where near as dangerous as Accutane,but it still has some risks.

Closed Thread