It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Differin and Clindamycin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
    jennymc41
    Veteran
    (female)

jennymc41 HB User
    Differin and Clindamycin?

Was prescribed these two topicals and was wondering if either or both of these have worked for anyone? If so..how long did it take to notice results. Right now it seems to be getting worse, but Ive only been using them for a few days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: Differin and Clindamycin?

I was just prescribed Benzaclin which I read has Clindamycin in it. I haven't started using it yet. The pharmacist said that it is possible to break out in a rash when you first start using the medication. Is that what you meant or is your acne worse?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #3
    jennymc41
    Veteran
    (female)

jennymc41 HB User

Yep that sounds like it. It's .. just getting extremely dry and irritated, and I appear to be breaking out worse. I'm not sure if I should use it less often or what. Has anyone else had experience with these two topicals? If you have any advice/ knowledge on the products feel free to share! I may try detoxing as well. Might as well tackle it from all angles.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
    jennymc41
    Veteran
    (female)

jennymc41 HB User

Oh my gosh! My skin is breaking out so badly..everywhere! Please tell me this will get better..it's an initial breakout.right?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sorry to hear that your breaking out worse with the medication. I haven't gotten brave enough to try mine, it's still in the box. Have you tried using it only once a day instead of twice?

I wonder if it's ok to put it on already broken out skin? Also, the instructions I got was to stay out of the sun.

I wish posters with experience would come along. I just noticed another post where the person said that they broke out for 3 months after starting the medication. Yikes.

Last edited by taape; 02-20-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
    jennymc41
    Veteran
    (female)

jennymc41 HB User

ooh gosh.. I'm hoping it clears up before then. I'm getting pretty freaked out though because this is now the worst my skin's ever been...ever. I think I'll cut it down to each one every other day for a little while.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
    Canadian101
    (female)

Canadian101 HB User

I was given these two treatments also, last week or so. I have been using once before bed and once in the morning. Hasn't really gotten worse or anything, I still get a pimple or two a week, other than that I haven't broke out from this product. Although I am also on Diane-35 for acne. (Which was already working very well before I also got put on the differin). So that could be the difference, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
    LandG
    (female)

LandG HB User

I was prescribed Differins for the first time around 2001. After reading up about it and seeing that there was chance for acne to get worse before better, I became apprehensive about using it and therefore, did not. Then, many years later, I found myself back in the derms office, utterly frustrated with my skin. She ended up prescribing me Differins Cream. With reluctance, I decided to try it. I was relieved to find it did not make my skin worse, from an acne standpoint, my skin did become a bit more sensitive, however. After years of using it, I'm regretful I didn't start sooner.

So, although I was not in the same boat as you in terms of my acne having gotten worse with use, I can say that with much experience (and research; I'm 29 now), that you should do whatever it takes to remain patient with the Differin. If you read the leaflet that comes with it, it can take a few months before there's noteable improvement. I know this sounds discouraging, but your choices are to not use it and have acne or to use it and have acne with the possibility of controlling it and seeing yourself 3 months from now with much better skin.

Also, I would recommend using it once per day; at night time. Retinoids make skin photosensitive, so using it during the day when you will get sun exposure- whether direct or indirect, will only increase chances of irritating your skin. Using it at nighttime alone, however, does not mean you are OK to be in the sun the next day; you're still photosensitive, just less so. So use it once a day at night and only wash your face with a really gentle cleanser, like cetaphil, and apply a sunscreen/block! This is a good idea whether on Differins or not.

Lastly, with all of my research, acne is in part difficult to control because everyone is different and different bodies/chemistries respond differently to different forms of treatment. So unfortunately, treating acne can be a bit of trial and error, but it is important to give treatments a fair shake and not be shy about talking to dermatologist- bug them, they're paid a lot

Good luck!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
    jennymc41
    Veteran
    (female)

jennymc41 HB User

Thanks.
    It's only been two weeks, and my skin is still going through 'the initial breakout'. But I can tell that it's beginning to get less sensitive so maybe that's a good start. Hopefully in about a month I can notice a difference.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Do you apply this cream all over your face or only where you usually get acne?

Old 03-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
    jennymc41
    Veteran
    (female)

jennymc41 HB User

all over. or..I dunno. I get acne all over so I apply it all over but I suppose if say it's only on your forehead you'd probably only need to apply it there.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #12
    jennymc41
    Veteran
    (female)

jennymc41 HB User

I can't believe how bad my skin's gotten though.. it went from mild/moderate to severely inflamed moderate acne.. Actually it may be severe. It's taken over my face since starting these two products and I've been eating super healthy but it's supposed to take some time right? I need to keep convincing myself because evertime I look at my skin without makeup I burst into tears. Keeping my fingers crossed for the Naturopath this week. Maybe she can figure something out.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #13
    Piroshky
    (male)

Piroshky HB User

How are you doing now that it's been a month?

I was prescribed Differin (at night) + Clindamycin (morning) recently (two days ago in fact) and I'm wondering how it'll be. I figure the Differin is for all over, however I don't know where I should apply the Clindamycin.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #14
    jennymc41
    Veteran
    (female)

jennymc41 HB User

Well after exactly a month I switched from those two topicals to Accutane.. I just got so fed up with my skin, but now I'm experiencing an initial breakout on the accutane, which is a lot worse than what I was experiencing before. Oh man, I kind of wish I would have been patient with Differin and Clindamycin, but Accutane seems a bit more promising for me. Good luck with them though.. That combination seems to work for a lot of people, I just got impatient with the initial breakout. Gah it's always so confusing though...

Old 03-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #15
    jennymc41
    Veteran
    (female)

jennymc41 HB User

Oh and I applied the Clindamycin all over as well as the differin, but I noticed that it was more drying so you may want to just put it in the areas you breakout mostly.

Closed Thread