It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Hyperpigmentation + Antibiotic's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2003, 08:36 AM   #1
    xKaShyLahx
    Veteran

xKaShyLahx HB User
    Question Hyperpigmentation + Antibiotic's

Does anybody know if there is a link between the two? Has anybody experinced this whilst taking anti's? I heard other people say that anti's caused hyperpigmentation and there skin went back to normal once they stopped...im confused... http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

~*K*~

------------------
    *¤«´¨`·¸.¤*ººKa§hyºº*¤.¸·´¨`»¤*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2003, 08:55 AM   #2
    dbarker348

dbarker348 HB User
    Hey,
    I must admit that when I was on Erythromycin or Oxytetracylcine, I thought my red marks were worse but it could have just been my imagination.

I've come off them now and when I look back at pictures I think "Hmmm I don't have that many red marks!" but that could be because I didn't have many zits as I was on antibiotics!

So it was kind of... more zits (and perhaps fewer red marks) or less zits (and perhaps more red marks). Unfortunately, right now I have billions of zits and billions of red marks!

I would go back on Erythromycin if it didn't have the side effects (and the thought that it's probably messing me up inside). I've started to try Azelaic Acid (Skinoren) today... fingers crossed! Apparently that helps with zits and red marks?

Dave

Old 08-30-2003, 01:23 PM   #3
    lelebeauty

lelebeauty HB User
    can i ask what side effects did you have whiles taking these because im on them now

Old 08-30-2003, 02:52 PM   #4
    dbarker348

dbarker348 HB User
    Hey,
    Do ya mean the antibiotics?

Oxytetracycline:
    I was on it for about 3 months and it gave me a bit of an improvement but not major. I can't remember having that many side effects with it to be honest and I don't think I had an initial breakout.

Erythromycin:
    This one worked a lot better but also made me feel a lot worse. I took it for about 4 months and I think I noticed results about the 2 month mark but I just felt it was messing me up.
    I was always always always hungry. I used to get some pains in my side sometimes (and still do). I just felt 'down' in the general sense... it was kinda just like it knocked something out of me while I took them. I was also just worried about taking any antibiotics for too long.

I would love to have the effects of it back without the side effects! I guess thats the balance you have to deal with! I think if you think of it as a 10-point scale (10 being worst)... I went from a 5/6 to a 2/3 which was a big jump for me but I didn't appreciate it at the time because it was gradual.

Let me know how you get on!

Dave

Closed Thread