It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• I will be going on Accutane next month

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #16
    desertgirl
    (female)

desertgirl HB User
    Re: I will be going on Accutane next month

Congrats to those of you on accutane and to those who are going to start! I was on it four years ago and it really gave me my life back. I'm sure all acne sufferers can relate to my former feelings of insecurity. It's hard to be confident and I just wanted to blend in. I had acne from 6th grade to my junior year of college. I feel like my first years of college were ruined and I didn't get the full "college experience" because I was so ashamed of my skin. I did not go out and make new friends; I did not join study groups or clubs on campus; I didn't volunteer to speak in class because I didn't want people to look at me. Sometimes, if my skin was particularly broken out, I'd even skip classes all together. There were several times I was in the car, driving to school, and I'd turn right back around and come home. I'd catch a glimpse of myself in the rearview mirror and realize I couldn't have people see me looking the way I looked. I was so depressed, but now I'm finally the confident woman I always wanted to be...

Accutane's side effects like chapped lips, nose bleeds, and dry scalp ARE rather bothersome, but trust me, the clear skin you get afterwards is SSSOOO worth it! It was the only thing that helped get me clear and keep me clear.

Just pile on the moisturizer (keep some in the fridge, it helps with the redness and stinging, if you have those problems) and keep your head up! Also Aquaphor is a miracle cream! Put some up your nose if it's really dry. I had to and it really helped. There is also a hair mask called "cholesterol cream" I would get at the drug store. It's yellow and stinky, but if you put it on your scalp and leave it on as long as possible (I'd usually put it on Sunday afternoons and leave it on until the evening) it'll really help with the scalp dryness.

I try to add some encouragement whenever I see accutane posts, because lots of people are so negative (especially if they tried it and it didn't work for them) or scared to take the drug. There ARE some serious side effects, but taken correctly and under careful supervision of your doctor, accutane is a miracle.

Good luck to you all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #17
    leonidas
    (male)

leonidas HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HighHopes11 View Post
    Any side effects yet?
    A few. No big deal. I'm sort of journaling my acctuane treatment in another thread that goes into far too much detail. But I'm doing it in case anyone is as obsessed about this stuff as I am and wants a lot of details about the experience.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 AM   #18
    HighHopes11
    (female)

HighHopes11 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
    A few. No big deal. I'm sort of journaling my acctuane treatment in another thread that goes into far too much detail. But I'm doing it in case anyone is as obsessed about this stuff as I am and wants a lot of details about the experience.
    I wouldnt say obsessed! I think that its awesome that people take so much interest in whats going on with their body. I couldnt imagine going on this medication and not keeping track of the symptoms and wanting to know how other people on it are doing.........I keep a journal at my house that I write in every Sunday...just explaining what I found as symptoms that week and what I hope for as a result 5 months from now!
    I got my blood drawn yesterday...Im getting used to the needles. Im not a big needle person! Maybe when I get my first tattoo...I wont be so worried! haha...I have my appointment with my derm on Monday the 24th...for another months perscription. Hopefully everything on the blood test comes out normal, I dont want to go off this, I think its a miracle drug!! haha...Seriously! My face has been almost completely clear the past week or two, and I have to say its the longest Ive ever gone without a big break out...so far, so good.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #19
    kristea25
    (female)

kristea25 HB User

Highhopes11-After reading your message I felt like I have been going through the similiar situation. I am 25 and have been suffering with acne for quite some time. I always thought about accutane but heard all the horror stories so i never went through with it. I always figured that my face wasn't too bad and that i would eventually out grow it. Well...needless to say I don't think it's going anywhere and I am tired of hiding my face with makeup and feeling self-conscience so i finally made the plunge and will be starting accutane next month!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #20
    marcosmom
    (female)

marcosmom HB User
    Smile Re: I will be going on Accutane next month

I want to reassure everyone who is scared of going on Accutane. I am now 30 and have the occasional hormonal monthly breakout, but when I was 25 I started getting this crazy cystic acne combined with small red zits and it was awful. I have always been great with the makeup but this was totally beyond anything makeup could help. I went on Accutane for 6 months and that was it. The only side effects I experienced were some mild dry mouth and slightly chapped lips. I think the reason I had such a great experience is because I took about half the dose I needed-20mg BID. Anyone who has kids suffering from side effects might try lowering the dose because it was totally effective--my case cleared up significantly within the month. I encourage anyone to start out on a low dose and move up if they can get the doc to agree. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #21
    trsgew19
    (male)

trsgew19 HB User

accutane ruined my life. if your smart you will stop taking it now. i wish i could go back and reverse the terrible decision of going on accutane.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:36 AM   #22
    kristea25
    (female)

kristea25 HB User

How did it ruin ur life?

Old 03-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #23
    HighHopes11
    (female)

HighHopes11 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: I will be going on Accutane next month

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristea25 View Post
    Highhopes11-After reading your message I felt like I have been going through the similiar situation. I am 25 and have been suffering with acne for quite some time. I always thought about accutane but heard all the horror stories so i never went through with it. I always figured that my face wasn't too bad and that i would eventually out grow it. Well...needless to say I don't think it's going anywhere and I am tired of hiding my face with makeup and feeling self-conscience so i finally made the plunge and will be starting accutane next month!
    YAY!! Good for you! It was a decision that I certainly didnt take lightly. I went to two dermatologist before it was recommended to me, even though my doctor had recommended it over a year ago!
    Im almost done my first month of pills...I have my next Derm appointment on Monday...and Im looking forward to starting my second month! The only side effects Ive gotten so far is a bad rash on the top of both my hands, and very dry skin. Chapped lips...but not too bad, and the occasional breakout, but it seems to go away overnight.
    Good luck to you! I hope that you get the results you are looking for....Cheers to both of us for taking the plunge!

Old 03-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #24
    HighHopes11
    (female)

HighHopes11 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by okstatefan View Post
    Day 23 here for me, personally i haven't seen any side effects other than the dry skin/scalp, and lips. Which i am keeping under control.

Only down side is just had a monthly blood test to see how everything was checking out and apparently my liver enzyme count is through the roof, they told me to stop taking the medicine for now,... dont think im going to though its working so well for me. I still have 7 more days left before i need doctor approval for a refill. I am going to wait till the rest of the blood work comes through to get a final answer from the doc.

okstatefan
    Have you gotten any word yet?? Are you still on it?

Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #25
    pageantchicka16
    (female)

pageantchicka16 HB User

Hello! I have been on Accutane since November and LOVE itt!!! It has been wonderful to my long 7 year battle with acne and all that comes with it. When I first started takin it i had dry skin... like peeling off in sheets.. for like a week or 2... then I had some neck and back stifness.. and the usual dry lips. When I went in for my 2nd test one of my levels of sumthin was too hig.. so i had to re-take it... but its fine now. It has really been wonderful... i would say within that first month i had alot of different side effects... but none bad enough to make me stop. So, I will be on it till probably june or july.. I love it!! my face really isnt that dry anymore.. i only use equate sinsitive skin cleaner... anything else was to harsh and drying... if you are having drying problems.. try that or some sort of milk cleanser... best of luck to you!!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #26
    HighHopes11
    (female)

HighHopes11 HB User

Does anyone have any recommendations for really dry nostrals?? My nose bleeds on a regular basis and it hurts alot....

My lips have gotten really really chapped, and the bottom one split down the middle...Ive been putting Neosporen on it at night time..that seems to be helping! I had a big cold sore last week, but its gone for the most part...still lingering a bit, but not too bad.

I really would like a recommendation for the nose problem tho -- its bothering me alot!!

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #27
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HighHopes11 View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for really dry nostrals?? My nose bleeds on a regular basis and it hurts alot....

My lips have gotten really really chapped, and the bottom one split down the middle...Ive been putting Neosporen on it at night time..that seems to be helping! I had a big cold sore last week, but its gone for the most part...still lingering a bit, but not too bad.

I really would like a recommendation for the nose problem tho -- its bothering me alot!!

Thanks!
    When I was on accutane (4 years ago---time flies and that medicine gave me my life back) I had nosebleeds and dry nostrils too. I used to use regular ol' vaseline. Just put a little on a q-tip and rubbed it around, basically.

Good luck to everyone who just started. It was the best thing I did for myself.

Closed Thread