It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• I will be going on Accutane next month

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
    searching4help
    (female)

searching4help HB User
    I will be going on Accutane next month

Hi Everyone! Well heres my story. I have a really mild case of breakouts, but my skin has become immune to any treatments. I will be going on Accutane next month, I recently got all the tests done and I had to join an "I-Pledge" group online, which basically is a promise that I will not get pregnant while on the medicine, since it is known to cause birth defects. I'm really scared to start and I even feel a little bad that I am going to be messing with my body internally. Its really scary, but I have had acne for almost ten years and I am so sick of it. It really is the most annoying thing I have ever dealt with. My doctor told me that the medicine gets a worse reputation than it deserves, but I have been constantly researching the effects and everyone is always complaining about the dryness and redness and thats scary since I have to go to college everyday and cannot stay home if it gets too bad. Oh, well, guess I should just suck it up and get it over with. 23 more days until I start. I'll keep it updated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
    acutaneworries
    (female)

acutaneworries HB User
    Re:my 15 yrs old experience

Hello everyone
    MY son started taking Acutane 9 days ago. I have to be honest and say that I really do not like the side effects that I am seeing so far. He is suffering from alot of back pain and his face is extrememly dry and red . I am using Advil for the pain. For the dryness a friend of mine made a mixture of Shea butter, gylcerine oil and witch hazel. Finally his face is looking a little more moisturized. My son has found this to be a relief. I am hopeing that the pain will go away soon. All of these side effects have made him miss school and 4 of his baseball practices. Does anyone know how long these side effects go on??

Old 03-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
    leonidas
    (male)

leonidas HB User
    Re: My accutane experience plus questions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by searching4help View Post
    Hi Everyone! Well heres my story. I have a really mild case of breakouts, but my skin has become immune to any treatments. I will be going on Accutane next month, I recently got all the tests done and I had to join an "I-Pledge" group online, which basically is a promise that I will not get pregnant while on the medicine, since it is known to cause birth defects. I'm really scared to start and I even feel a little bad that I am going to be messing with my body internally. Its really scary, but I have had acne for almost ten years and I am so sick of it. It really is the most annoying thing I have ever dealt with. My doctor told me that the medicine gets a worse reputation than it deserves, but I have been constantly researching the effects and everyone is always complaining about the dryness and redness and thats scary since I have to go to college everyday and cannot stay home if it gets too bad. Oh, well, guess I should just suck it up and get it over with. 23 more days until I start. I'll keep it updated.
    Why so long to start? Everyone does the I-pledge thing these days. (I didn't have to do it 9 years ago.) In fact, once I took my I-pledge stuff in, my derm looked me over, asked some questions, and wrote out the prescription. Then I was told to get the prescription filled that day, then go get my first blood test. So, I started it all the same day, in effect.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
    leonidas
    (male)

leonidas HB User
    Re: my 15 yrs old experience

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acutaneworries View Post
    Hello everyone
    MY son started taking Acutane 9 days ago. I have to be honest and say that I really do not like the side effects that I am seeing so far. He is suffering from alot of back pain and his face is extrememly dry and red . I am using Advil for the pain. For the dryness a friend of mine made a mixture of Shea butter, gylcerine oil and witch hazel. Finally his face is looking a little more moisturized. My son has found this to be a relief. I am hopeing that the pain will go away soon. All of these side effects have made him miss school and 4 of his baseball practices. Does anyone know how long these side effects go on??
    That sucks. Have you told his derm? If the back pain gets too bad he may have to stop taking it. But you need to speak with his derm before something as drastic as that. The dryness is inevitable. Just keep slapping on the moisturizer.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
    HighHopes11
    (female)

HighHopes11 HB User
    Newbie, with high hopes!

Hi All,
    Reading everyone’s journals and experiences has helped so far, although I have to say it also puts a little bit of anxiety into my life as well.
    I have had severe nodular/cystic acne since I was in the 6th grade, about 12 years old. Im now 24. I had a very close friend that went on accutane when she was in high school...and the side effects were horrendous, and prolonged my decision to go on it. I have been out of highschool for about 6 years now, and after many many acne treatments, decided that it was time for the last resort...probably past time. I dont believe that anyone, unless experiencing severe acne, understands how it effects your everyday life, and your individual self confidence.
    I started accutane last week - February 25 2008. So far, including today, I have been on 40mg once a day, for 9 days.
    The only side effects that I have experienced thus far are chapped lips, and an itchy scalp. I apply Chapstick, Carmex, Vaseline, or Blistex on my lips religiously after reading many journals. For my scalp, I use an extra moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, and make sure to really knead it into my scalp in the shower...it seems to help! Ive had one break-out in the past 9 days, and it was rather painful....although I dont feel that its any more severe than what Ive been going through for years now....
    I have very high hopes for the results of accutane, Ive heard some really great stories, and some complete turn-arounds for people! I cant wait to be a sucessor giving other people advice and encouragement....

hanging in there...

Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
    HighHopes11
    (female)

HighHopes11 HB User
    Re: my 15 yrs old experience

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acutaneworries View Post
    Hello everyone
    I dont know for sure...what the time frame is for the side effects...but I do know that most people start to see results around the 4th month of treatment.
    I would talk to your sons dermatlogist, and see what they say. If they have any intensions of upping the dosage (mg) ... Ive heard and researched that everytime the dosage is increased, the side effects will worsen for the first couple weeks/months that your on the new dosage.
    I would definitely consult with your sons dermatologist...they can give you a more accurate time frame that you can expect your son to have side effects.

Also...I just wanted to add...Being a 24 year old and having had acne for the past 12/13 years...I want to stress how important it is that (even through the worse side effects) your very supportive of your sons decision to go through with Accutane. I know that having my mom, and friends support....makes a huge difference. Acne is such a difficult skin disease to live with...its embarassing and can really damage your self confidence...and if he's taking the initial steps to get help...he will need your support. What seems like a small deal to someone without acne...its MUCH MUCH larger to someone with acne...
    Just wanted to throw that in. Tell your son that we all wish him the best of luck!! Looks like he's going through it about the same pace that I am! 9 days and counting...

Keep your fingers crossed!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
    leonidas
    (male)

leonidas HB User
    Re: I will be going on Accutane next month

Hey, HighHopes. For my lips I like the Blistex Lip Infusion Soothing Splash. Yeah, I know how it sounds, but I like it.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
    HighHopes11
    (female)

HighHopes11 HB User

leonidas - I got a whole bunch of different chapsticks...but Blistex is my favorite so far..it smells good too...haha - I dont care for the way Carmex makes my lips feel after an hour or two...but that works too! I will have to look into the "Soothing Splash" ... haha...maybe they have it at Walmart? Thanks for the recommendation.

Question - Does anyone have a recommendation for minor back pain? Anything besides Advil? I have a hot pack, which helps....but just curious!?

Old 03-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #9
    leonidas
    (male)

leonidas HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HighHopes11 View Post
    I will have to look into the "Soothing Splash" ... haha...maybe they have it at Walmart? Thanks for the recommendation.
    That would be nice since it would be cheaper. I got mine at CVS while I was standing around, waiting for my Accutane to be filled. I knew what was coming...

Yeah, I feel so manly whipping out my "Soothing Splash" lip protector 20 times a day.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
    HighHopes11
    (female)

HighHopes11 HB User
    Talking Re: I will be going on Accutane next month

That is funny! But its probably better than having your lips pealing all over the place!! haha...

I was told that I should use "Aquaphor" ... I heard that was really good. I just cant seem to find it at Walmart, and that seems to be the only store that I visit lately....but Ill have to check the drug store here in town...see what they have!

How long have you been on accutane?

Last edited by HighHopes11; 03-06-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
    okstatefan
    (male)

okstatefan HB User

another good chap stick to try is:

"dr dan's cortibalm cream" You may have to ask a pharmacist if they have it available to buy over the counter, my local wal-mart had to order some in especially for me.

I've been on acutane for 21 days now and it has kept my dryness of the lips to just a minor annoyance so far. ceraphil cream has helped my face out a lot too. I apply it in the morning when i wake up after showering, and before i go to bed.

okstatefan

Old 03-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #12
    HighHopes11
    (female)

HighHopes11 HB User

I will have to ask my pharmasist for that...thank you for the recommendation!

I use Cetaphil for my face too, and it ROCKS!! I have been on accutane for only 12 days...but so far so good....I put it on in the mornings, and before I go to bed...sometimes in between, and my face does get dry, but I have yet to "flake"... Do you have any recommendations for a face wash, or face scrub to use in the shower?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #13
    leonidas
    (male)

leonidas HB User

Quote:
    How long have you been on accutane?
    This is day 11.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #14
    HighHopes11
    (female)

HighHopes11 HB User

Any side effects yet?

Ive noticed that my back is a little sore the past day or two....but besides that, I havent seen a huge change in my skin. Dryness or acne.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #15
    okstatefan
    (male)

okstatefan HB User

Quote:
    Any side effects yet?

Ive noticed that my back is a little sore the past day or two....but besides that, I havent seen a huge change in my skin. Dryness or acne.
    Day 23 here for me, personally i haven't seen any side effects other than the dry skin/scalp, and lips. Which i am keeping under control.

Only down side is just had a monthly blood test to see how everything was checking out and apparently my liver enzyme count is through the roof, they told me to stop taking the medicine for now,... dont think im going to though its working so well for me. I still have 7 more days left before i need doctor approval for a refill. I am going to wait till the rest of the blood work comes through to get a final answer from the doc.

okstatefan

Closed Thread