It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• How to fade scars and deal with overall redness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
    innocence
    Veteran
    (female)

innocence HB User
    How to fade scars and deal with overall redness

I've had acne for many, many years and although it is improving a bit with the use of Retin-A (have also just been prescribed Spironolactone of 100mg/day), I have LOADS of scars..so even if I'm acne free, I'll still need to cover my face with plenty of make-up! I don't have any specific scars that I can cover with my concealer..it's mostly a general redness with lots and lots of tiny red dots (not raised) and patches of rough skin (tried tons of moisturisers, which work for about..an hour?). Are there any really good creams for fading scars?? My Retin-A (gel) doesn't seem to be helping with the scars and I've been using it for over a year. I've looked into peels and microdermabrasion, but it seems so expensive, as those clinics always say that a course of 10-12 sessions is necessary?! Are there any good home peels which I could use without damaging/burning my face?? I have quite sensitive skin and my face sometimes goes red (redder!) after using exfoliating scrubs!

Thanks a lot!

Oh also, does Azelaic acid help??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
    waterlily
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

waterlily HB User
    Re: How to fade scars and deal with overall redness

Azelaic acid is supposed to be quite good for redness and fade red marks. Go for it. For myself I have had good results with AHA by Alpha Hydroxy.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
    cynara
    (female)

cynara HB User

Hello.
    Do not worry.
    Overal redness can have several causes. belive me, I have studied the subject a lot.
    The most frequent are lactose intollerance (at casein) or gluten sensitivity.
    Tell me...do you often eat WHEAT, BARLY, RYE????? Be sincere...
    Cynara.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
    innocence
    Veteran
    (female)

innocence HB User

thanks for the replies!
    which is better to use, azelaic acid or retin A?? Will the Azelaic acid be more gentle??

Yes, I consume a lot of gluten..I'm going to be tested for Celiac soon, because im very iron deficient as well !

Old 03-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
    cynara
    (female)

cynara HB User

My Dear,
    seems you are well informed....
    I would highly appreciate sharing with me the results.
    I am not allergic, and yet....sometimes I have red spots on my face, around the nose and mouth.....could be diet?...stress?...rosacea?...eczema?.... .pollution?....sun?.....dust?.....
    I have tried RUBORIL- but it dries the skin like hell...I just stoped using it.

in case anyone find a solution...I'll be very grateful!!
    Thanks. Cynara.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
    ForgottenFaith
    Veteran
    (male)

ForgottenFaith HB User

As difficult as it is, time is the best treatment. Especially, if your acne is still active. If you have sensitive skin, don't use any harsh topicals. I have sensitive skin, and the simple act of even rubbing a product on, will cause be to breakout. Aloe Vera is probably the best product for red marks, if you do decide to use one. It's natural, inexpensive and proven. Fruit of the Earth makes a great moisturizer.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
    innocence
    Veteran
    (female)

innocence HB User

I will let you know the results of the celiac antibody tests..but it may be a while, sorry!!

Would it be a really bad to alternate between the retin A and azelaic acid? ie. use retin A one night, azelaic the other, etc. I'm a bit scared of stopping using retin A, since ive been using it for so long..I hope I dont breakout horribly!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
    floridagirl1234
    (female)

floridagirl1234 HB User

Here is something I have used to help fade those red spots from past breakouts: Hydroquinone.

It's sort of a skin bleaching agent, I think. Obagi has a few products with that as the ingredient, but I don't like them because the products smell pretty bad and are a tad greasy because it's a cream.

I have tried Murad Post Acne Spot Lightening Gel with 2% hydroquinone and that seems to work pretty well and smells okay (but doesn't smell great). It's a clear gel and goes on good and not greasy.

The only thing for you, I don't know if you are supposed to use this in conjunction with the other stuff you're on, so you should check first. It's not an overnight kind of thing, but I found that spots would fade in weeks as opposed to months. I have the fairest, lightest skin you can imagine, so each red spot on my skin shows up and looks like a pimple when there is really nothing there. So I know exactly what you're talking about.

Closed Thread