It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Male 24 Accutane 5 weeks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
    sostar
    (male)

sostar HB User
    Male 24 Accutane 5 weeks

Hi guys...
    Well after suffering with damn acne for almost 10 years and hoping year after yeah I will grow out of it and trying every single antibiotic, cream etc I have started accutane 5 weeks ago. My acne has never been severe but definitely has been pretty nasty at times and when your 24 its just humiliating!

Anyway 5 week have passed and Im not seeing any improvement. I had a little breakout which I was told could happen but what I'm wondering about is my dose. I am taking on 20mg a day.. Which I understand is not that much! Thats what my derm recommended as my acne wasn't severe but when I see her again next week she says if all is good we can up the dose. Is 20mg too lower dose to see any real clearing? Will I have to incease? What doses have you guys been on? at 5 weeks will I most likely start seeing some good improvement soon?

Thanks all!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
    Bulldogsandwich
    Inactive
    (male)

Bulldogsandwich HB User
    Re: Male 24 Accutane 5 weeks

Have you ever tried diet? Have you ever seen if it is dairy. I'm no accutane expert but perhaps the cause is not your oil glands, and it is not bacteria. See what others say.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
    kristea25
    (female)

kristea25 HB User

I just started accutane today and i was put on 40mg a day and i have pretty mild acne as well.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
    AddyS
    (female)

AddyS HB User

Hi Sostar, Dermatologists usually go by your weight to decide how much accutane to give you. 20mg is low! I am 120 lb and had been given 40 mg. If you weigh about 160 lbs you should be taking at LEAST 40mg, and probably should be taking 60mg.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
    Shannon2188
    (female)

Shannon2188 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristea25 View Post
    I just started accutane today and i was put on 40mg a day and i have pretty mild acne as well.
    thats sooo good to know. i really want to start accutane but i dont break out REALLY bad, bad enough however to bring my self esteem down a few notches. from what ive heard its very affective but they always scare you with the "psychological side effects"

Old 04-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
    kristea25
    (female)

kristea25 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shannon2188 View Post
    thats sooo good to know. i really want to start accutane but i dont break out REALLY bad, bad enough however to bring my self esteem down a few notches. from what ive heard its very affective but they always scare you with the "psychological side effects"
    Whenever I told my friends I wanted to go on accutane they all thought I was crazy. They all thought my skin looked fine. However, when I have no makeup on I see all the imperfections. I never know when I am going to break out really bad. I don't want to worry about my skin at ALL! I am on my 8th day and I am feeling great. I know its still early but i am so happy to hopefully (cross my fingers) have amazing skin after I am finished with my course. In fact right before I started accutane I went and got my eyebrows waxed (since i cant do that for awhile...back to tweezing!) I got talking to the girl and she told me she had taken accutane. Her face was crystal clear! So if your acne effects your self esteem in anyway i would think about going on it. In fact last February I was going to go on it and backed out. I figured I would get facials and try different products and just maybe I would find that "magic" product. Well I never did and now I wishhhh i would of went on it last year because i would be all done with it.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
    Shannon2188
    (female)

Shannon2188 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristea25 View Post
    Whenever I told my friends I wanted to go on accutane they all thought I was crazy. They all thought my skin looked fine. However, when I have no makeup on I see all the imperfections. I never know when I am going to break out really bad. I don't want to worry about my skin at ALL! I am on my 8th day and I am feeling great. I know its still early but i am so happy to hopefully (cross my fingers) have amazing skin after I am finished with my course. In fact right before I started accutane I went and got my eyebrows waxed (since i cant do that for awhile...back to tweezing!) I got talking to the girl and she told me she had taken accutane. Her face was crystal clear! So if your acne effects your self esteem in anyway i would think about going on it. In fact last February I was going to go on it and backed out. I figured I would get facials and try different products and just maybe I would find that "magic" product. Well I never did and now I wishhhh i would of went on it last year because i would be all done with it.

wow your information is really helpful. i will certainly be calling my dermatologist this week, or weeks following finals (gah major stress) and see when i can start it. thank you so much!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
    jamie451
    (female)

jamie451 HB User

The more I read about Accutane the more I wish I could try it out for myself. The main problem is that Ive never been to a derm before I only visit my family GP. Can they prescribe you Accutane? Or would I have to get a referral? Im kinda poor right now and I dont know if I could afford the drugs and the derm =/

Best of luck with your course!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
    kristea25
    (female)

kristea25 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shannon2188 View Post
    wow your information is really helpful. i will certainly be calling my dermatologist this week, or weeks following finals (gah major stress) and see when i can start it. thank you so much!
    Well I am on day 18 and still hanging in there! Keep me updated if you start it!

Closed Thread