It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• POLL - Adult...Hormonal...Cystic Acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2003, 06:45 AM   #1
    lucky2289

lucky2289 HB User
    Post POLL - Adult...Hormonal...Cystic Acne

To help all of us newbies to this board What have you found to be the least/most effecive for hormonal and/or cystic acne...both topically and orally? I suffer from cystic acne (almost never get whiteheads) along my jawline and cheeks. I am currently trying to control it naturally so I can wean myself off of the Minocycline. I have been on it for a year and a half and my acne has become resistant to it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2003, 01:37 PM   #2
    Sivonne

Sivonne HB User
    Speaking for myself, chocolate causes cystic acne on my face. My dermatologist suggested I may be allergic to it, as it is the only thing that causes me to develop cysts on my face. Can you imagine being allergic to chocolate? Well, I've had to learn to live without it. It's a tough life, but it's worth it compared to the pain I had from the cysts. As for my oily skin, I've yet to find anything to effectively combat it. I keep hoping for a miracle. I once tried Retin-A for my blackhead problem, but it was too strong for my sensitive skin. It caused my face to be red all the time I used it.

[This message has been edited by Sivonne (edited 08-23-2003).]

Old 08-23-2003, 03:32 PM   #3
    Pandabaire3

Pandabaire3 HB User
    I use Differin gel and Benzaclin gel together topically at night time before bed. I wash only with COLD water (never in the shower either but seperate in the sink). I use Cetaphil white bar soap for washing my face, and I use Vita K solution to moisturize.

I got myself off all oral meds and now I just use Niafol Tablets 2 times a day (this is a vitamine available only by prescription that contains Nicotinamide (a B vitamin complex), Zinc and Folic Acid) I find that this vitamin worked better than any oral medication I had ever used (and I used a the "Cyclenes" in my 20's and into my 30's.) It got rid of the red flush in my face and the burning/tightness sensation I often experienced.

I also weaned myself off of using foundation all over my face and from picking incessantly at pimples and scars. I'm now 34 and have smooth clear cyst free skin.

Old 08-23-2003, 04:00 PM   #4
    lucky2289

lucky2289 HB User
    Thank-you for your replies! It gives me hope as I would also like to get off the Minocycline, especially because I feel it isn't working anymore. I am just afraid to quit cold turkey. I hope the vitamins and other products I am going to try will keep things under control! Thanks!

Old 08-23-2003, 06:53 PM   #5
    badback

badback HB User
    I get cysts on my back and on my face (sometimes), and I started using Neutrogena Acne wash & their AHA lotion. I use BP on white heads and I've tried placing hydrocortizone on the cysts. Then I take some advil to cut down the swelling.

I've noticed less acne/cysts in the last weeks definitely! I shower WITHOUT hot water (warm to cool.) I'm sticking with this since it's working better than anything else I've tried (which ain't much.)

I think the acne wash prevents the outbreaks, and the lotion should help clear up the old red spots. GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-24-2003, 05:14 AM   #6
    lucky2289

lucky2289 HB User
    I had a pretty bad one last week that is now clearing (thank-goodness) I have been putting Neosporin on it all weekend and it looks 90% better. It is stll very red but at least it's flat and I will be able to cover it tomorrow for work! When I am in the shower, before I wash my face, I feel for deep down cysts, and I don't feel anything forming so (knock on wood) hopefully I will get a break before another pops up. In the meanime I have been trying some of the methods on this board and it is really helping. The vinegar and lemon juice has made my skin glow. Thanks to all..

Old 08-24-2003, 09:28 AM   #7
    Dinese

Dinese HB User
    Wink

I beg you to try Regenerist from Oil of Olay---Check out the topic I started, I suffered big time for the last three to four years, this last month.....NO BOILS NO PIMPLES!
    They don't make this cream for acne, but omg what they don't know won't hurt my pocket!

Old 08-25-2003, 09:12 AM   #8
    gilligan

gilligan HB User
    Question

Is the Regenerist a cream, lotion, face wash? I have seen commercials, but just want to know which has worked so wonderfully for you. I'm willing to give it a try. I am running out of room though under my bathroom sink for all of these products. I always thought i was low maintenance

Old 08-25-2003, 05:59 PM   #9
    Dinese

Dinese HB User
    It is just a cream, but somewhat different then a cream per say....it is silky smooth, and not oily...there are three by the name so be discreet...the regenerist is all you need. Try it twice a day after you do a soft scrub with something with salicilic acid in it....Clear Wear has something really good and non abrasive....

It is working for me, I cannot say it will work for everyone! I cannot also, sit back and bask in my glory without sharing what could help others...smilessssss

Old 09-04-2003, 07:07 AM   #10
    NYKID
    Veteran

NYKID HB User
    lucky2289
    I also get cysts and red spots around my cheeks and jawbone area. Sometimes my forehead and temples and i learned the reason why. I use to love to shove my face into the pillow at night and i usually liked to face the wall so the left side of my face stayed on it longer at night so naturally i broke out and it was more so on the left side of my face.

I learned to sleep on my back which sucks and i wake up every hour every night but i havent broke out as much and the right side of my face is starting to get real clear but the left still needs to be free of red spots.

I was just curious to see if you see with your face on the pillow cause if so that might be your problem.

Old 09-04-2003, 07:19 AM   #11
    Micheybell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Micheybell HB User
    The 2 products that have helped me tremendously w/ cystic/under the skin pimples are:

Neutrogena On The Spot Treatment
    &
    Regenerist

If I catch one of those cystic zits early I put the Neutrogena on it (2x a day maybe 3) and eventually in 2-3 days it disappears. This worked all but 1 time, I use the regenerist on this big huge cystic zit I had last week and it healed extremely fast and the redness went away in 2 days not even.

The regenerist helps clear red marks. I like the product alot. I've gotten compliments the past few days which is extremely rare. Good luck everyone.

Old 09-04-2003, 10:53 PM   #12
    NYKID
    Veteran

NYKID HB User
    Thanks bell, next time i go into the mall ill look for that.

Thats basically my main concern is getting rid of the red marks cause they seem to hang around for months at a time.

What part of NY are you from, Im from Staten island

Closed Thread