It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Almost 42 and finally clear

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
    tlhalabama
    Veteran
    (female)

tlhalabama HB User
    Almost 42 and finally clear

I cannot remember a time that I have not had acne. It has never been severe, just made me self conscious about my face. I have tried everything I could without having to go to the derm. for treatment.

After reading this board and getting several ideas, I made some changes in my daily routine as far a cleaning my face.

At night when removing my makeup, I wipe my face with alcohol 1st and then use a medicated apricot scrub to remove the makeup and dirt the alcohol did not.

Two nights a week, after wiping with the alcohol, I use a clay mask that is supposed to absorb oil. I leave it on the recommended time and rinse off and reapply a light layer of alcohol. My face has always been very oily and this has helped so much.

I also stated taking Evening Primrose Oil capsules (morning and night).

I started all this about a month ago and now my face is all clear except for 1 tiny pms bump that showed up. I applied a spot treatment on it and it is just about gone.

I do not know how long this will last, but I am happy for now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User
    Re: Almost 42 and finally clear

wow. hi there. i'm glad you found something that works for you.

your post caught my eye. i'm 40 and stumbled upon what seems to be working for me, finally, after 28 years of acne. i'm taking a tincture of 'sweetish bitters' from my naturopath. its a combination of herbs for digestion. the last thing i was expecting was my face to clear.

at this age, having acne was something i was bitterly resolved to having forever for some unknown reason. i would joke and predict that one day i'd be the only one in the nursing home who had zits.

its too early to be sure of the long-term success but like you, for now, i am relishing a face without spots.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    wow. hi there. i'm glad you found something that works for you.

your post caught my eye. i'm 40 and stumbled upon what seems to be working for me, finally, after 28 years of acne. i'm taking a tincture of 'sweetish bitters' from my naturopath. its a combination of herbs for digestion. the last thing i was expecting was my face to clear.

at this age, having acne was something i was bitterly resolved to having forever for some unknown reason. i would joke and predict that one day i'd be the only one in the nursing home who had zits.

its too early to be sure of the long-term success but like you, for now, i am relishing a face without spots.

What do you make the tincture out of? Do you mix it with something else? Does it have a burning sensation going down? My son tried this on a rash and it burned him up.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skimom View Post
    What do you make the tincture out of? Do you mix it with something else? Does it have a burning sensation going down? My son tried this on a rash and it burned him up.
    hi skimom - it is called "sweetish bitters" and i would tell you the company name but it is not allowed on these bulletin boards. maybe if you did an online search it would come up. there are several different brands that i know of, with varying ingredients. the one i'm on has:
    turmeric rhizome, gentian root, dandelion root, milk thistle seed, wild yam root, cardamom seed, fennel seed, ginger rhizome, indian gooseberry, bitter orange essence, anise seed essence, sea vegetation blend, water, alcohol.

i've been told to take 10 drops in a small glass of water (it ends up tasting like cold, watered-down herbal tea. nothing nasty) during meals. no burning of the throat at all.

i'm not sure what you meant about your son trying it on a rash - tinctures, as far as i know, are not to be applied topically but to be ingested.

my face still looks good. it hasnt looked this good since i was pre-pubescent. i'm really shocked. i don't know why it is working for me. i used to think my acne was hormone related, but now i'm suspecting it was digestion-related.

hope that helps.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

scoot - oh I see. yeah the swedish bitters that I have is in a cream form and was prescribed for an eczema type condition. the naturopath said it could be taken internally but the label says otherwise. sounds for sure like yours is in another form. sounds like some very healing stuff in that tincture. I think I will look for that and get both my kids to drink it (as if I can get 20 somethings to do anything). one for acne and one for eczema. thanks for the info.

Last edited by skimom; 07-13-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User

hi skimom

a-ha. i didn't realize it came in lotion too. don't forget, i've made the mistake too - it is 'sweetish' bitters, not 'swedish' bitters.

i guess i can say the company name since people can say things like 'accutane on here. it is Gaia Herbs. it's the sweetish bitters elixir.

good luck!

Old 07-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
    ClassicGamer
    (male)

ClassicGamer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    hi skimom

a-ha. i didn't realize it came in lotion too. don't forget, i've made the mistake too - it is 'sweetish' bitters, not 'swedish' bitters.

i guess i can say the company name since people can say things like 'accutane on here. it is Gaia Herbs. it's the sweetish bitters elixir.

good luck!
    scoot,
    when you started the elixir did you have any side effects (bad breakout, GI abnormalities, etc.) and if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take before your skin cleared up?
    thanks.

Closed Thread